1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Say Hello

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Leslie, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Waterweed

Waterweed Member

I am Elandra Moran-Eigel, a newby but an avid reader of the forum. I have been getting my plans in order to leave the Louisville, KY area and start the my camino the first part of September in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. I have watched a documentary about the Camino de Santiago and the movie "The Way" which were so inspirational, but those posting on this forum giving information, tell about their experiences and giving support as well as encouragement are inspirationalists who keep the tradition of the camino alive.

2. Dollmac

Dollmac Member

Hi larry,

Welcome, You sure picked a popular day to start, Have a look at the calendar to see all that are starting on september 1st.

3. paddycreaven

paddycreaven New Member

Hi all.. grateful for all the tips and information.Intend to do the Camino next year. I usually walk 4 to 7 miles a day at the moment, only problem I have is that I hate wearing boots or shoes. I wear sandals (no socks) all year round. I see most posts suggest boots.

Buen Camino

Paddy

4. LolaLil

LolaLil New Member

Hola Paddy, I've decided not to wear hiking boots on mu journey but will be wearing Brooks Cascadia 7 trail runner shoes (no, I'm not a runner). I've gone thru several brands of hiking boots and just couldn't find the right pair for my feet. I'm also taking Teva sandals (open toes, velcro) that I've taken in a lot of trips. They will be my evening and change of shoes when I need to rest my feet. I'm on my fourth day of training/breaking the new Brooks shoes and today walked 7 miles (up hill) with a 7 lb pack. Feet feeling OK. Am 7 weeks away from when I leave home and will gradually increase the weight of my pack, walking 10--13 miles two to three times on the last two weeks before I leave. Good luck in your preparation. My advice, get fitted for a pack and find a store that has great return policy. Buen Camino. Lil

5. mike

mike New Member

Hi, I have been following this sight for a few years now and finally joined it yesterday. I retire in 2014 when I will be a young a year old and plan to do the Camino Francis that year from beginning September till middle of October. I do not plan to rush it and hope 6 weeks will be enough time for me. I seem to be one of the few English people on this site, am I also one of the oldest planning the walk, or not? I have another two years to make my plans. The first one is too learn some Spanish, which I started a few months ago, no easy task at my age, I can tell you. Any advice on any aspect of my plans will be much appreciated

6. Lipka149

Lipka149 Active Member Donating Member

Aww, c'mon, Snake ! You gotta tell us ... :confused:

Maybe you can put it in your profile. That way only those who might be interested enough to look there would know ...

And since I am curious ... do you glow in the dark by chance ??? :eek:

Best !

7. Lipka149

Hi Deborah !

Someone posted about that ... try using the SEARCH function to see who it was and drop them a private message. PM's are fun to get ! :cool:

Well Miss GumbyDoll, PJs are a luxury I think most of us would agree we could not afford. Too much weight ! Drop Dollmac and/or JAMC a PM about how they packed. Both have given a lot of thought to their journeys and I am sure they have an answer for ladies sleepwear ! ;)

Keep the questions coming !!!

8. lhlyda

lhlyda New Member

Lipka149,

Well, as for the Snake story, there is no truth to the rumor that once on a trail race, I was bitten by a snake and I in turn, bit it's head off!!!

As for the glow in the dark? I didn't pack a flashlight for the Camino, lol :cool:

9. lkaussie

lkaussie New Member

Hello everyone, I'm an Aussie, my husband and I plan to walk the Camino Frances sometime in 2014, perhaps August or September. This forum has already provided a wealth of information, like so many others we recently saw the movie 'The Way', we have a friend of a friend who has already completed the walk and hope to talk to her soon about her experiences along the way. We are not religious, but love to travel and experience new and different things. For us, walking the Camino will be a pilgrimage celebrating our marriage, the strength of our relationship, and our love and support for each other, in Oct 2014 we celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary, so perhaps we will still be travelling and have a drink or 2 along the way. Feels silly to be so excited about walking 780+kms, but we can't wait!!!

10. niallohagan

niallohagan New Member

Hey guys. I'm niall. I'm from lurgan, co Armagh but live and teach in Manchester. My mum and I - she may use my login from time to time- are thinking of this pilgrimage in the future after a recent family bereavement. Hope to use this site to gain much needed info. Thanks in advance.
    Niall and Marion

11. Dollmac

Dollmac Member

Hi Niall and Marion, welcome. This is a great forum and you will find lots of help and people willing to answer your queries. I am sure you and your mum will enjoying planning your camino here as i I do

Buen Camino.

12. cherylpatton

cherylpatton New Member

Dublin, Virginia & Rogersville, Tennessee
    Welcome Lkaussie and congratulations on your upcoming 30th anniversary. Also to Niall and Marion - I wish you all the healing this journey has to offer.
    Buen Camino!
    Cheryl (who leaves for SJPP in about 7 weeks!)

13. Waterweed

Waterweed Member

Welcome and you will find so much wisdom on this forum.
    Waterweed

14. hunsta

hunsta New Member

Firstly Gday all. Should have said hi a couple of weeks ago when I stumbled onto this site. Huskynerd has been a fountain of information.

Secondly.Hey there lkaussie. I too am aiming for September 2014 and an aussie from Gympie SEQld. It funny how things seem to snowball when you least expect it. Ive dont a bit of walking and hiking in the past, and I aslo have a friend who although has not done his pilgrimage yet, is doing it September 2013. After talking with him and then watching the movie, and having one of our local radio journalist doing hers in 1week (as I type), Ive felt completely drawn to the thought of completing my own pilgrimage. I too am not overly religious, but will admit that completing the journey would do alot for my own personal demons.

Craig
    Buen Camino

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  15. Hobbler

Hobbler Active Member

Hello everybody. I stumbled on this forum - can't even remember how - but I'm very glad I did. It's a wonderful resource. The amount of info I've gained and the friendly advice given is great. I hope to start walking the Camino on 12th September and to complete the whole 500 miles. As I'm 77 it won't be easy but I have the advantage of not being time-limited. The first day out of SJPDP seems really daunting so I decided to stay the first night in Orisson. Two years ago I went walking in the Little Carpathians and nearly killed myself doing too much on the first day. I won't make that mistake again. Thanks for the forum; I'm really grateful for it.

16. moostewart

moostewart New Member

Welcome Hobbler,

You are right this is a wonderful resource with lots of great people. I'm walking the 7th Sept so you never know, we may meet up.

17. cherylpatton

cherylpatton New Member

Dublin, Virginia & Rogersville, Tennessee
    Buen Camino, Garrett (Hobbler)! I'll be in front of you when you start your journey and should be leaving Logrono about that time. I hope your journey brings fine weather and conversation!

Cheryl

18. Hobbler

Hobbler Active Member

Hi Cheryl. Good luck on your way. If you start before me, at my pace the gap can only get wider!
    Buen Camino

19. AnneG

AnneG Guest

Hi Pilgrims,

I am due to fly into Biarritz from Dublin on Monday 23rd July and wondering if anyone else is on same Ryanair flight to share the journey as far as SJDP? Looking forward to any replies.
    Buen Camino
    AnneG

20. Poppy

Poppy New Member

Home Page:
    Hello everyone,

I have just joined the forum... It's so strange how this camino never leaves you once you've hear of it! I read Paulo Coelho's book on the subject... 'The Pilgrimage' and it has stayed with me for twenty years.
    I am now retired and living on my boat, realising my first dream (www.vikingsoul.me.uk) Soon it will be the Camino. This forum is so interesting and it is reassuring to know that the world still has some meaning under the plasticity of modern society!

21. moostewart

moostewart New Member

Welcome to the forum Poppy :)

When are you thinking of walking?

22. Poppy

Poppy New Member

Home Page:
    Now you've got me! A lot depends on what happens on my boat in the next year. I'm not really fit enough for September, but maybe next September? Got to get my head right and walk in some new boots! Thanks for the welcome!

23. lhlyda

lhlyda New Member

Welcome Poppy,

This forum has a lot of information and I have learned a lot from the ones here!!!

24. Lipka149

Yes indeed ! I know the feeling of a 20 year preparation, Poppy !

Have you determined a start date yet ? We could kinda use another Camino Angel out here in the real world ... :)

25. Poppy

Poppy New Member

Home Page:
    Thank you for that!

Good luck for September!

26. Poppy

Poppy New Member

Home Page:
    Nice quote Alan...

Lovely reply too... thanks.

Don't know that I qualify as an angel exactly, but I've met a few on some hairy sailing trips. They seem to arrive just when you need them, I find!

No start planned yet. I have been a long time away from serious walking and will need to buy new boots, ruck-sack etc. I'm also trying to get my head around some pertinent spiritual issues too. All this, combined with a gradual migration north in my boat/home, means a lot of thought, planning and reading this wonderful forum with all you good folk.

The thing is, living life utterly to the full without compromise and there's so much walking out there to do! Up until now I have done Offa's Dyke, Hadrian's wall and Southwest coastal path from Hartland Point to Plymouth. BUT I was younger then!

27. Waterweed

Waterweed Member

Welcome Poppy!
    Waterweed

28. Poppy

Poppy New Member

Home Page:
    Thanks Waterweed, good to be here! It's an excellent forum.

29. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell New Member

Hi Poppy!
    Welcome to this excellent and friendly forum! In my opinion, the planning is part of your Camino, and change takes place every day. I am also walking this September and my fitness level isn't too high (ouch!), but my boots have been broken in. And I can do it (especially in my mind).
    It would be nice to have another guardian angel here. Who knows, some of us might decide to do it again next year?
    Have a lovely day!

30. Poppy

Poppy New Member

Home Page:
    Hi Tinkerbell,

Yes indeed! I agree with everything you say. Very profound what you say about change taking place everyday. I find that everything seems to be linked with a kind of synchronicity. It's as if the very moment you discover the Camino's existence, your life changes. Dare I say a form of hope enters life? September 2013 seems more likely for me, unless my poor old boat develops mechanical problems and I remain stuck in UK. I will be with you on your Camino though, in spirit, and if you want to email on the way, I'm always glad! Good luck!