Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

New To This! Del Norte

Discussion in 'Camino del Norte' started by WanderingJ, Mar 29, 2016.

1. WanderingJ

WanderingJ New Member

I am new to the Camino in general and specifically the Norte route. My older siblings have all done Santiago but I am looking for something more difficult and fulfilling! I do have some questions however and thought this forum might help clear up those questions!

For someone who can only speak english, (and some broken Spanish) what is the best guide book to get?

is it necessary to have a tent on this trek?
    - I am planning on Starting in Irun then turning onto the Primitivo leg of the trail and finishing in Santiago

Is Late October to November a bad time to walk this Route? I have heard the weather can be unpredictable

Thank you for any information I can get on this subject!

Cheers

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    No Problem

The Camino Norte from Irun and then branching onto The Camino Primitivo at Villaviciosa is an excellent choice of route and one that I have walked myself (Although in my case, I split the route into sections due to time constraints)

I used the little guidebooks from The Confraternity of Saint James http://www.csj.org.uk/product-category/csjown/ and backed these up with printouts from Mundicamino http://www.mundicamino.com/los-caminos.cfm

There is no need to take a tent

Late October to November might be a little late in the year to be ideal as it could well be wet and cold on the higher sections of the walk on The Primitivo – Personally, I would say that a month or 6 weeks earlier would be better – But whenever you walk the route, the weather is always unpredictable ;-)

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

3. WorldTrekker

WorldTrekker Member

First, I think your timing is good; should be less crowded. Unfortunately, there are a lot of albergues that are seasonal. Realistically, I do not think that should be much of an issue. You may have to walk a little longer to get accommodation. As far as tent, I would say no. It is not worth the weight for the few chances you could employ it. Weather? Last fall, Spain’s North Camino had great weather. When I trek, I stick to the old adage: “prepare for the worst and hope for the best”. The book I use is from Cicerone; title: The Northern Caminos. It’s OK.
    Lastly, remember the two most important rules on this hike: 1 good broken in shoes 2 pack light as possible.

4. Aritz

Aritz New Member

Hi, I live in northern Spain, Noja, in the middle of the camino del norte. November may not be the best date nor the worst. The worst part of november is that days are way shorter, and it may be dark at 6pm... november is not specially cold in norther spain, colder months are the second half of january and february. I'd recommend from april to october the best dates to walk the northern camino. Last 2 novembers (2015 and 2016) beaches were full of people on november, it was sunny many days... ok its not july, you have to be careful but i remember having long walks in t shirt and short jeans 3 o 4 days last november.

Best choice: May and june. good weather, few people and longer day light!
    Second choice: april and september, mild weather and few people.
    Thirds choice: march and october, mild-cold weather and noone.

March and april can be rainy .
    Avoid july, august, december, january, february: many people or cold.

Last edited: May 19, 2017