1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newspaper Article

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by grayland, May 16, 2011.

1. grayland

grayland Member

2. joe

joe Member

It was a nice read, thanks for sharing grayland. I can't wait to start my Camino, only 2 days left before I leave :)

3. grayland

grayland Member

Actually, I did not think it was very well done. It is obvious the writer has not experienced the Camino and did not capture the essence well at all.

4. joe

joe Member

I haven't experienced the Camino for myself yet, so I wouldn't know if anything I read captures the essence. It was obvious that the writer hasn't experienced it for themself, but they did use quotes from people who have done it, which is all he could really do for such a short article. I think everything that's written about the Camino is good, and it's nice to know it gets appreciated.

5. Covey

Covey Active Member

Grayland............. I got the feeling that there was no "I" in the whole article but it was merely a précis of someone else's work to fill in some space. Rather like "give me 500 words on walking in Spain"

The author did not realise the significance of the Iron Cross Hill and all the scarves and mound of stones, but just referred to it as "a cross". Pilgrims over the generations have carried stones from their homeland to leave at the Iron Cross Hill.

6. grayland

grayland Member

The picture of the Cruz de Fero was the real tip off that the writer did not have a clue. That was the opportunity to really enhance the story with the history and meaning...
    Made the bar/cafe scene sound like dingy smoky taverns.

7. unadara

unadara New Member

Buen Camino Joe , look forward to reading your authentic account on your return! I am so excited for you.
    Una

8. unadara

unadara New Member

The Guardian produced an article too because of "The Way". In this instance the pieces were by Tim Moore and Robert Mullen. Their books are excellent reads and the article was informative. Is there going to be an increase of pilgrims because of the film ? we are going to see it on Thurs.

9. BHinSanDiego

BHinSanDiego New Member

I'm with you Grayland, anyone could have written this simply by getting information from Wikipedia and talking to a couple of people who have walked. IMHO, it does more of a disservice to the Camino, especially the part about the a decision about whether a reiki or watsu treatment would better relieve your foot pain. Makes it sound like a walk in the park followed by a visit to the spa.

10. Covey

Covey Active Member

I was wondering about the "spa treatments" for a pilgrims feet!!! Most treatment seems to involve the "Pilgrim Shuffle" in flip flops down to the pharmacy for yet another load of Compeed and then back to ones bunk to get up close and personal with the disaster zone below ones ankles!

Compeed, Vaseline and surgical spirits seem to be more the order of the day rather than wandering around town (yet more walking!) looking for exotic spa treatments.

In the days of the "old" albergue at Burgos which was in the park and was a collection of wooden huts, the local Red/Green Cross in Burgos used to turn up in the evenings to run a First Aid clinic which was very good news for many Pilgrims, but they seemed to have stopped when the new albergue opened behind the Cathedral.

11. unadara

unadara New Member

AAH the memories, have to share this one for those of you who have not seen "blisters". As a team we embarked on a long distance challenge, over 3 days. The first night we sat with another team at a table in the "pub" (dark and smokey!! NOT) and compared "feet". Yes 2 gentlemen actually stuck their feet up on the table to see who would win the worst blisters challenge. Such good laugh we had. Another time I remember the first aid team, and a team member asking for treatment, the needles came out, bandages, and tight taping followed. Another problem was if you took your boots off you might not get them back on again. I think with all the good advice here prevention is easier, the good socks, the comfy boots/trail shoes and I think the most important the "light" sac..I intend to cut down to 2 of each, if Sandy's post continue to talk re "completo" hostels we may come Sept and "The Way" be forced to bring a tent? or a bivvy bag ? anyways time to see before Sept.
    Thanks Sandy
    Enjoy-How's the weather ?
    Una