1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Norte In September

Discussion in 'Camino del Norte' started by Mark Stevens, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mark Stevens

Mark Stevens Frances 2016, Ingles 2018, Norte 2019

Home Page:
    I’m off again and this time it’s the Norte in the first week of September. Look forward to hearing and reading blogs on the subject.
    Mark

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Mark
    I walked the first 200 miles of the Camino Norte from Irun at the end of August (A few years ago) and it worked out just about perfect, wonderful warm weather that enabled us to swim in the evenings where the route took us along the coast, and not so hot to bother us when walking.

I then split my own Camino in Santander as I was always going to walk to Santiago de Compostela from my home in Cumbria (Northern England) and therefore wanted to save the section from Santander to Santiago de Compostela.

One choice that you will be faced with is, when you reach Villlaviciosa, whether to continue on the Camino Norte, or to turn onto The Camino Primativo – It will be a hard choice, I have walked both and wouldn’t want to choose one from the two ;-)

The remnants of my blogs are on the link in my tagline, unfortunately a lot of pages were lost when TripAdvisor took over VT and wiped the servers !! – But there might be a few interesting snippets left :)

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

Ginamarie and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  3. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

Don't forget to share your thoughts and revelations! Sept should be a fantastic time to go.

Ginamarie and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  4. Samoht

Samoht New Member

Hello Mark. I will be walking del Norte in September starting again from Deba. Here's why: My unsuccessful May 2018 attempt: I arrived in Irun on Mayday and started out walking the next day. The weather was great with bright sunny days and mild air. I took the high route from the Ermita and filmed almost all the way to the albergue in Pasi Donibane. Wonderful walking however at one point while walking the path through a vinyard a machine spraying the vines surprised me and a I got a lungful of whatever was being sprayed. I didn't feel any bad effects right then, but as time passed I found myself coughing up large quantities of phlegm. In a nut shell, by the time I got to the albergue in Deba I was feeling quite unwell. I took two days off to no avail. Then, I took the train to Bilbao and flew home to Maine after only nine days. At home I was diagnosed with pneumonia apparently caused by whatever it was that I had inhaled in that farmer's field. I plan on continuing my walk of the Norte this coming September (2019). Maybe we will meet on the walk.

Ginamarie and UnkleHammy like this.
  5. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    What an awful thing to happen Samoht – I wonder what it was that they were spraying on the vines ?? Had the grapes already been harvested ?

Although this is the first time that I have heard anything like this, it is certainly something that pilgrims should be aware of, so I am sure that any more details that you can provide will be well received.

Best Regards and Good Luck for you next attempt

Buen Camino

Rob

Ginamarie likes this.
  6. Mark Stevens

Home Page:
    Thanks guys. We’re walking to Santander and have 8 days to do it so challenging ! I’ll read the blogs and get tips as much as I can.

Having done the Francés and ingles really looking forward to getting out there again

7. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi again Mark

If you are starting your Camino in Irun and walking all the way to Santander, then that Really Is quite a challenge that you are setting yourself – Around 200 mile in 8 days, so around 25 miles a day average.

It took me 15 days, but that did include one day off as well as a couple of very short days

Day 1 (24thAug) Irun (Refugio) to San Sebastian New Refugio– aprox 26k
    Day 2(25thAug) - San Sebastian to Zarauz New Refugio – aprox 20.5k
    Day 3 (26thAug) -– Zarauz to Deva Refugio – aprox 24k
    Day 4 (27th Aug) Deva –to Marquina to Jemein –New Refugio – aprox 24k
    Day 5 (28thAug) - Marquina- Jemein to Guernica Private Albergue aprox 21.5k
    Day 6 (29thAug) Guernica to Lezama – New Refugio – 27.5k
    Day 7 (30thAug ) Lezama to Bilbao – New Refugio (3 k on in Basurto) – 13k
    Day 8 (31st Aug) Bilbao to Portugalete –hotel– 19k traditional route (or 10k by river)
    Day 9 (1st Sept) Portugalete to – Castro Urdales Refugio – aprox 33k (last section on old road as opposed to up and over mountain)
    Day 10 (2nd Sept) Day Off – Hotel (Pension La Mar)
    Day 11 (3rdtSept) Castro Urdales to Islares –Hotel aprox 9.5k
    Day 12 (4th Sept) Islares to Laredo – Hotel (Pension Esmeralda) –aprox 27,5k
    Day 13 (5th Sept) Laredo to Noja – Hotel (Los Tamarises) – 23.3k
    Day 14 (6th September) Day off and Beach day
    Day 14 (7th Sept) Noja to Langre – 20,5k Hotel (La Posada de Langre)
    Day 15 (8th September) Langre to Somo aprox 5.5k then– Ferry to Santander.

So an 8 day itinerary would be possible – Just Hard !”!!!!!!

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

8. Mark Stevens

Home Page:
    Always up for a challenge