1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok Time To Go.

Discussion in 'Live from the Camino' started by Woodchild, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Woodchild

Woodchild Member

ill take my first intentional step in about four hours and do you think I can sleep!! I'm in hotel Camou in SJPP been here since Tuesday, traveled here with the lovely Amorel but she started yesterday. My carefully packed rucksack is now all over my room so I dare say I'll just shove everything in at the last moment and I did my first travel wash! I keep having phantom twinges in my ankle and knee. I know there's nothing wrong with ether but my minds trying to trick me. The pesky thing
    Lol. Ok I'll try again. And a big thank you to Leslie for setting this forum up and to everyone who posts, without this forum I would not be as prepared as I am today.
    Woodchild X

Nan, Armorel, Chris Ward and 4 others like this.
  2. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator

3. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

Woodchild

You will have an amazing camino, Don't forget you and Amoral have a meeting wth me at the CSJ Albergue Gaucelmo in Rabanal where I will be working as a volunteer hospitalero, Im looking forward to meeting you both.
    Buen Camino

Raymond John

Armorel and Sallyann50 like this.
  4. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Buen Camino Woodchild. Can't wait to get started myself.

If you have time can I recommend that you stop for a visit at the The Abbey of Eskirotz & Ilarratz which is situated just off the Camino shortly after Zubiri, just past the village of Ilarratz on the way to Larrasoana. The couple who have undertaken to restore it are doing a wonderful job (they also have a really lovely sello/stamp). We stopped there last year and met with them. They recommended a visit to the church of St Stephen at Zabaldika (a little further along the same road - about 9 kms before Pamplona - there is a small climb up to it).

Our visit to the Church of St Stephen was one of the highlights of our Camino. If you have time to visit and spend a little while in contemplation. Pilgrims are invited to write their thoughts or a prayer on a post-it and leave it on a wall in the church. You can also climb the bell-tower and ring the bell (which it is claimed is the oldest in the region of Navarre) to send your prayers out over the valley.

Buen Camino

5. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Have a great trip.

6. Susisu

Susisu New Member

Hi Woodchild, I've just returned to UK after a week walking first stage (SJPdP - Puente la Reine). Set off on 1st Sept and it was very busy! Many people in overflow at Roncesvalles (and queuing to be checked in for hours!). Hope it's a bit quieter for you! Met some great people though and loved the walking, and am already planning my return! Have a great trip.

7. Woodchild

Woodchild Member

Day 2. Walk over the mountain was fairly hard as it was drizzling still and my laundry hadn't dried from the night before. But but cat Stevens and good old van Morrison helped me over. Took the wrong route down the other side but thankfully even with the rain it wasn't so muddy it slippery But I was so glad to finally see this monster if a building! I'm booked in and relaxing now eating chocolate. Last nights and today's laundry drying. Another wet day and I'll be sat in my birthday suit!!!
    But for me the hard part is done. From tomorrow I just walk until I've had enough. No hurry no goal to achieve, just walk west.
    Met Randy last night great guy but he lost his glasses in the big push this morning.

Thank you for the kind messages and yes I think I will make a detour to the church just if the Camino , thank you for the suggestion

Woodchild X

Armorel, raymond john and Sallyann50 like this.
  8. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it, it feels good once you have made your first steps and tackled the big climb. Taking the wrong route is part of the fun (happened to me a couple of times last year).

And you are absolutely right. There is no rush and no goal other than to enjoy all that awaits on your Camino.

Two more weeks and I start again in Pamplona. I will do the route Napoleon again some day:))

Buen Camino

Armorel, Sallyann50 and Woodchild like this.
  9. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Woodchild - CHOCOLATE, the perfect reward for crossing the Pyrenees! As far as taking the wrong trail, as Greg mentioned, just consider it your first wrong turn. More to come! It's that way for everyone. It's the way of the Camino! You've got two nice days of walking in front of you before you reach Pamplona. Enjoy a much gentler terrain. In Pamplona, don't forget to treat yourself to some well earned tapas (even better than chocolate). You seem to have a great attitude. That alone will come to serve you well in your journey! Buen Camino!

10. ThomasV

ThomasV Camino Bound September 2016

Home Page:
    Hi Woodchild, looks like my wife and I are about a day or two ahead.! We did the Pyrenees which was very tough. We took it slow down the steep downhill at the end. It was dry but still tough. We were not sure about the road to the right that was to be a bit longer but easier. We just plowed on. Roncenvalles was a sight for sore eyes,,, legs,, feet. We didn't have a reservation and stood in line another hour to get the fine Cabins off the main building. Lol they were really storage bins with 8 bunks. We were so tired it really didn't matter. Fortunately we got our shower in before the water went out in the whole Albergue. Our spirits were up as we left Wednesday for Larrasoana. It seems there are way more people on the Camino then I expected. After a tough very hot day (36c) we once again were out of luck getting a bed in Larrasoana. But the Camino provided and we taxied to Arres about 10K up the road. We got to stay at the old church Albergue. It was a great experience, the priest running the Albergue was so kind. He and his brother even gave us a ride back to Larrasoana the next day so we could begin our Camino where we left off. Lol and that is a story for another day. We had an easy day getting to Pamplona where we took today off. Tomorrow we go to Puente la Reina.
    Buen Camino all.

11. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Have a great time and keep the posts comming.

Armorel likes this.
  12. anniem

anniem Active Member

good l
    Good luck and good times Woodchild. It will be wonderful. It was this day last year I started my journey. Buen Camino

Sallyann50 likes this.
  13. Sallyann50

Sallyann50 New Member

I love reading your entries. This will be me next year as I'm walking the camino sept 17. I'm looking forward to it and will watching for your updates. Have a great time and take care x

14. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

Woodchild
    You may think the hard part for you in over. Unfortunately you my not know or feel at the moment, but the hard part has only just begun. You will experience many unforeseen challenges, interiorly and exteriorly . However, remember don't be surprised the camino always provides in ways and at times in more ways than you ever imagined. I can't wait to hear the story of your camino experience when you reach Rabanal.

Carpe Diem & Ultreya

Raymond John

Armorel and UnkleHammy like this.
  15. ThomasV

ThomasV Camino Bound September 2016

Home Page:
    Today we were on the Camino from Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada. It was uphill just out of Najera. The hills rolled on for at least 15k. The grade most the day was up. We must be getting stronger or fitter..lol because we were no wiped out at the day's end. It was coolest day we have had so far. We had lunch in Ciruena. It was hard to find a cafe right off the Camino so we walked up to a cafe about 100 meters off the path. The only other cafe we saw was at the golf course as you walk into town. It rained on us the last 3k. It only really poured about five minutes. We didn't get too soaked and the boots stayed fairly dry. I really love Santo Domingo de la Calzada.!

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  16. Chris Ward

Chris Ward New Member

All the very best to you and others with you. May this new path bring you all peace within and enlightenment Have a wonderful journey which I hope brings a newness to your life's. Chris