Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

One Pilgrim's Sure Fire Cure All Bullet Proof Camino Packing List

Discussion in 'What equipment should you use and take' started by HuskyNerd, Apr 13, 2011.

1. anaon

anaon New Member

Thank you so much folk for the really useful packing info. I was getting a bit worried as I went down as I couldn't see any ladies packing info. Leaving 10th May.

2. anaon

anaon New Member

Just another quickie....... When I walked from Sarria to Santiago in 2011 all the albergues handed out disposable pillow covers and mattress covers. Do they not do that all along the way?

3. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator Donating Member

Hello @Judi. I think it is just the albergues in Galicia that hand out disposable sheet and pillow case. The rest of the route you don't get that service.

Regarding the original post, as someone with absolutely no experience of hiking and with no gear whatsoever, I found @HuskyNerd 's thread a particularly useful starting point. I have now walked two full caminos and have refined my pack I list with my new-found experience.

If you are looking for a pack list from a (mature) woman's point of view you may like to take a look at my pack list and assessment of clothes and gear (links below). I hope it is helpful.

Packing list

Assessment of clothes and gear

Edited...December 2016 - have now walked four caminos and have posted a new link to my updated packing list and assessment below.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    ricitosdeplata and TinaB like this.
  4. anaon

anaon New Member

Magwood thank you so much for the reply. Really useful and I will be using your tips. x

5. Magwood

You're very welcome @Judi. I notice you are from Devon. Did you know there is s group of pilgrims who meet regularly in your area? If not let me know and I will find contact details for you.

6. anaon

anaon New Member

Oh, @Magwood that would be lovely. Thank you. It would be brilliant to be able to be in contact with more peregrinos/as.

7. Magwood

@Judi here is a link to the thread on the "other" forum where the arrangements are made for meetings, usually in Exeter. I'm not sure about the etiquette of posting threads between forums but on the assumption that we are all pilgrims together, I hope that Leslie doesn't mind. And if he does, can he please let me know for future reference :rolleyes:

It seems you have missed out on a meeting in early March, which is a shame. I also meet with a couple of pilgrims occasionally in Worle, a small town near Weston super Mare, when I go to visit my daughter. It is incredible that three of us are so closely geographically linked.

What amazing places these forums are!
    Buen camino!

Devon Mike likes this.
  8. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
  9. anaon

anaon New Member

@Magwood would love the link. Might there be a meet up early April? Thank you @Leslie.

10. Magwood

@Judi , just click on the word 'link' in my post above. I don't know how often they meet, but probably not as frequently as monthly.

11. anaon

anaon New Member

@Magwood North Devon is a bit far for me. No car . Have now got packing sorted. Thank you for the extra tips. The next few weeks will be spent getting my mental prep sorted. Adios.

12. mtman100

mtman100 New Member

13. Randy Dickow

Randy Dickow Donating Member Donating Member

I've been reading through many of the older posts since joining the forums recently. What a wealth of information. Thanks to Leslie for providing this great outlet. i walked from Aire sur l'Ardur to Pomplona Sep/Oct 2015 and almost immediately knew I had to return and complete my Camino. I'd prefer to start in SJPdP and recross the Pyrenees again, but it's beginning to look like starting in Pamplona. looks like start date is September 8, 2016, taking 33-34 days to Santiago.
    Anyway, I've been working on a packing list based on all the good info here.

First query: Do I really need a sleeping bag? I have a silk liner that I was hoping would be sufficient. My bag is a 3 season so I would think too warm and frankly don't want to buy a new one.

I walked in shorts every day last time even the one rainy day. I have 3 pair of hiking pants with zippered legs. Two are very light, one heavier. I thought I'd take the two lighter pair, but remove the legs from the second pair since they are interchangable. Enough?

My main backpack I've used here for mountain trips in the Sierra is an Osprey Exos 46, which fits well and is light. I've been doing training walks/hikes using a 30L day pack, but I think it will be too small, i can get everything in it but sandals and the sleeping bag, while the Exos is slightly too big. Thoughts?

14. Randy Dickow

Based on reading all the great info posted throughout this forum I have decided to keep the Exos 46, take a sleeping bag, use a poncho for rain, and pack minimally.

Today I laid out everything I plan on taking (not that I'm getting antsy or anything with 189 days to go!) and packed everything. There's room left over which is ok as long as I don't fill it. Without snacks or water it was 12 pounds (5.44kg) I'm pretty happy with that. I'll go through it several (lots I'm sure) more times to be sure I have everything I need and nothing I don't.

My 24 oz. water bottle adds 1.5 pounds, but while I'm carrying that now on training hikes, I won't have that much water to actually carry on the Camino. Last year I carried a 12 oz. bottle that never ran dry.

Now I'll do my training with this pack rather than the day pack I was using with 17 pounds on board (a couple small dumbbells and water.)

Buen Camino

15. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Randy

That sounds ideal – But don’t be tempted to fill the available space you have left with “Just In Case” items, instead use it for taking some Good Spanish Wine back home with you :)

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

danvo likes this.
  16. Randy Dickow

I was thinking the same thing. Probably some good (isn't it all) Rioja!!

17. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    To be Honest Randy, It is difficult for me to recall a bad one, especially after 30k of walking in the heat / rain ;-)

There is a Good saying that goes something like “El Vino Tinto es el gasolina del peregrino” that I Have to agree with :)

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

danvo likes this.
  18. anniem

anniem Active Member

And NZ wool!!

19. Magwood

Having now got four full caminos under my belt (probably should be under my boots!) I have written an updated assessment of clothes and gear, including a link to my packing list. Anyone interested can see it here.

Tina-Marie Brownie likes this.
  20. anniem

anniem Active Member

Loved reading your lists and am very impressed with the detail but oh dear so much stuff. I walked last year with a 6kg backpack and that was plenty. When I go again I will attempt to lighten it a little. Congratulations on your persistence with your lists and reviews. Buen Camino

Magwood likes this.
  21. Wily

Wily Camino Francés May 2016

Hey Magwood - Very helpful and informative list. Could you tell us what your loaded pack weighs?

Magwood likes this.
  22. Magwood

Hey @Wily. Too much! A link to my pack list is here including the weight of every item. My pack weighed 7.7 kilos, but I also carried a waist pack weighing 1.7 kilos. The above included 1.7 kilos of tech items which most people would not want to bother with. I am strong and can manage the weight, but will definitely be leaving a few items behind next year.

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  23. Wily

Wily Camino Francés May 2016

Hey Magwood - I walked with a very similar weight of 8.2 kgs. For my liking, that was a bit too much, and like you, I will be leaving a few items behind when I walk again in the spring. Anything that didn't come out of the pack is definitely being left home. Like many first time pilgrims, I did have the "what if" mindset, so I carried some non-essential items. But, more importantly, I learned from the experience itself what was really necessary and what wasn't. Experience once again turned out to be a great teacher! So, even though I, too, was strong enough to carry the weight I took, I'd still prefer to walk with a lighter rather than a heavier pack. "To walk far, carry less."

UnkleHammy and Magwood like this.