1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One Sim Card For A Usa Phone, To Work In Uk, France & Spain?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Iwannallama, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Iwannallama

Iwannallama New Member

I am coming from USA with a Samsung Note 3 on Sprint service. I did the international unlock to prepare it for a European Sim card. I have family in UK as well as france, so I want to pick a sim card only plan, to buy in London before I head on My Way. It needs to make & receive calls from uk, france as well as Spain and also to usa. Is this possible on one sim card with one service plan?

2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Lwannallama - It's my understanding that a SIM card can be used to send or receive calls anywhere, but outside the country of origin, you'll be paying roaming fees which can make calls expensive. So, buying a SIM card in the UK will work fine there, using the amount that you have on that card, but from France and Spain, you'll be paying much higher fees because you'll be roaming. The folks I know who got a SIM card when traveling waited until they got to Spain since that was where they would be using it the most. I don't believe that there is a single SIM card that will do everything you want unless you're willing to pay significantly for it. You might be better off checking with your US carrier for using your current SIM card traveling abroad. I know that my carrier, AT&T, has an international plan if I wanted to pay for it. . Buen Camino!

Iwannallama and UnkleHammy like this.
  3. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Using a USA Sim card can get quite expensive. Get a local card. Even if you end up with some time on it, you will save when you return home.

Iwannallama likes this.
  4. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

I just checked this out a bit more. Go on line and look at Telestial for international SIM cards. It's good in France and Spain, but not in England.

Iwannallama and UnkleHammy like this.
  5. Rakes

Rakes New Member

I found a web site that was pretty helpful in planning for the Camino.
    http://kenstechtips.com/index.php/best-sim-cards-for-spain
    Coming from the US just make sure the phone you are bringing is GSM capable and it has been unlocked.
    Currently Vodaphone offers a pretty good deal that includes data, voice and a sim card.
    From what I have read you will need a different SIM card for each country to avoid roaming charges. Not really that expensive.
    Ultimately, we decided against using SIM cards and went with our Canadian carrier Bell who offers a flat fee of $10.00 per day that includes 100 Mb of data and voice as well. Maximum of $100.00 per month and we can be reached on normal phone number.

Iwannallama likes this.
  6. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi All

For anyone travelling in Europe this is a very useful link about roaming charges (the site also provides other useful information about travelling in Europe) :-

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/money-charges/mobile-roaming-costs/index_en.htm

It sets out the new EU legislation covering roaming charges. As and from 15 June 2017 no roaming charges will apply within the EU for phones or sim cards issued within the EU. However please be aware that these regulations apply to roaming charges within Europe and would not cover call or texts to countries outside e.g. to the USA, or to any charges which a US network might apply to a phone or sim card issued there.

I have my mobile phone through Vodafone and they do seem to be pretty good with regard to roaming charges - none charged within Europe. For my holidays in the US I just pre-notify them that I am travelling and the daily limit for charges is €2.95 per day. So it might be worth checking out their sim cards when you arrive in Europe.

Buen Camino

Greg

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  7. BenL

BenL The Burghers of Calais

I am on T Mobile's ONE Unlimited 55 Plan here in USA. Namely, I have unlimited data, text and calls in N America. The great feature of this plan is that the unlimited data and text extends to most international countries, including France, Spain, Portugal, UK. I do not have to pay for any supplemental international plan or roaming charges. Calls will be $0.20 per min in those countries (incoming or outgoing). I should qualify that 'unlimited' data is until 55 GB at 4G LTE speeds before they throttle back to 2G/3G. T-Mobile has really stretched the boundary/envelope.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  8. UnkleHammy

On my most recent trip I used T Mobile for the same reasons. I normally use AT&T, but they charge a flat rate of $10 per day if the cell phone is used for ANYTHING which includes listing to junk spam calls.

BenL likes this.
  9. Galloglaigh

Galloglaigh Member

Having been to Spain and Italy in the last month can confirm there are no roaming charges for an EU sim within the EU.

This week on the VF all the non-EU visitors were using WhatsApp.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  10. UnkleHammy

When I had to use 112 for help when I was dehydrated, the responders wanted to use WhatsApp. I didn't have it loaded, which was a problem. I now have it loaded on my cell.