1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One Week To Go - Squeee!! (couple Of Last Minute Questions.....)

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Elizabeth89, May 9, 2016.

1. Elizabeth89

Elizabeth89 Member

I cannot believe that I will be leaving for SJPP in just one week - the time has just flown by!

Feeling anxious as it quickly approaches but I'm very excited also!

I just want to say at this point - thank you all SO much for your wonderful support and advise. I have felt so welcomed to the community and hope that will continue once I start my Camino. And I couldn't have got everything ready and felt properly prepared without your help - so, thank you! :)

I do have just a couple of last minute questions if anyone is able to advise that would be wonderful.

Backpacks
    Should I be keeping it with me at ALL times?
    Say I arrive at my destination early-ish, and go and secure a bed in a hostel but want to go out again to look around or for dinner - can I leave my backpack at the hostel, or is this not sensible? Don't feel inclined to leave it as that is literally my life for the duration of my Camino but on the other hand feel it's a shame to drag it around when I'm on relaxation time.

Santiago de Compostela
    Should I reserve a bed in SdC? My brain says yes, as I imagine it will be so busy (especially as by the time I arrive there it will be mid-June and getting nearer peak time). And I will just pray all goes to plan and I arrive there on my scheduled day.
    Or as there are a lot of hostels (many of which with high bed numbers) can I leave it until I get there?

God bless and Buen Camino,
    Elizabeth

2. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Elizabeth, people on the Camino now who are multi-Camino veterans are reporting that although things tend to go in waves, it's seriously crowded right at the moment. For peace of mind, if nothing else, it might be good to just book it now. You're in the home stretch now!

Gerry Vandermaat and Elizabeth89 like this.
  3. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

Love your trip, and embrace the highs (and perhaps some lows) that are part of the experience.
    Your pack will be safe in the hostel, but keep passport/valuables with you (of course!).
    I agree with Suzette- if you have concerns, book a safety plan, you can alter it if you need/want to later.
    Now... the most important thing to practice, as you will say it a couple hundred times:
    Say "Buen Camino".

4. Canadian Wander

I totally want to pack up and head out again right now!

5. Elizabeth89

Elizabeth89 Member

Thank you!

And.............BUEN CAMINO!!! :)

6. Elizabeth89

Elizabeth89 Member

Thank you, and thank you for all your help on this forum - I really appreciate it :)

7. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Theft isn’t usually an issue in Refugio’s, but obviously, do take rudimentary precautions.

What I do when I go out for the evening is either pop my rucksack into its Rucksack Pro-Tector (http://www.pro-tector.co.uk/rucksack.html) and lock it up, or just put the more valuable items in the top pocket and lock that. Some Refugio’s provide lockers, but you usually need to supply your own padlock.

Also – When you shower, take all your valuables (Passport, Money, Credentials etc) with you, and when you leave the Refugio to go out, again take all these with you. – Always better to be safe than sorry and it’s never a good idea leaving valuables lying around putting temptation in peoples way !!

As for booking up accommodation is Santiago de Compostela – I would also say yes, people usually stay for a few days when they get there and the nicer, less expensive and more popular places are Always in demand !!!! I stayed here https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel..._de_Compostela_A_Coruna_Province_Galicia.html the last time I was in Santiago de Compostela and was Very Happy

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

8. Elizabeth89

Elizabeth89 Member

Thank you Rob.
    And thank you for all your help and guidance on this forum - I really appreciate it :)

God bless,
    Elizabeth

Armorel, Gerry Vandermaat and RJS like this.
  9. Devon Mike

Devon Mike Well-Known Member

In just one week I will also be in SJPP. Can't wait!!

Leaving your pack where you are staying should not be a problem, but as others have said, always keep your important stuff with you at all times.

On my previous Caminos I never had a problem finding a bed, and this year despite reports of it being busier, I will do it the same way. No phone, no bookings, just believe as always that the Camino provides. :)

10. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

Mike
    I think this is a great quote " Just believe as always that the Camino provides". I wish you all the very best and have a safe journey. When you get to Negreia say hola to Dave (from Devon) & his Galician wife. (Sorry I can't remember her name) . The food and service was great and they made me feel very welcome when I walked from Santiago/Finisterra/ Muxia / Santiago last September . I know they won't remember me. however give them my kindness regards and best wishes.

Carpe Diem & Ultreya

Raymond John

11. Devon Mike

Devon Mike Well-Known Member

Hi there RJ,

I will say hello to Dave for you. I have been to the Café Imperial several times in previous years. Last year I missed his big 30th anniversary party as I was there a week too early!! Dave is from a village just a few miles from where I live in Devon, and his Café is named after the Imperial Hotel in Barnstaple which is where he was working when he met his wife.

Everything is packed and ready to leave on Sunday. :)

12. Elizabeth89

Elizabeth89 Member

Another question, maybe silly..........

I will try and be a proper pilgrim and hang dry my washing from my backpack (!!) but I was wondering if I had time to dry clothes at an albergue do they tend to have washing lines up for pilgrims to use? Or should I take a piece of string to make my own line, as I've read some do?

Thank you!

Best wishes,
    Elizabeth

Gerry Vandermaat likes this.
  13. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    No Problem Elizabeth – Always pleased to help :)

You last question - Most Refugio’s have clothes lines (drying wracks) but these do tend to get congested – My “Tip” would be to take a spare pair of booty laces, these can then be knotted together and then double up as a clothesline – It is a good idea to take along ½ dozen plastic clothes pegs to save getting things blown away though ;-)

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

14. Canadian Wander

safety pins work great as clothes pins. Many the day my damp socks hung off my the back of my pack to greet the sun coming up behind you.

15. YorkieUltraRunner

YorkieUltraRunner Ultra Runner

Packs are okay in the room in my experience so far, but I do carry around valuables in a small pack to know they are safe.

I thought someone had stole my trainers last night buy they had just been moved out of the rain.

16. Canadian Wander

Elizabeth must be set to bust, almost stepping out for the wander of a life time. Enjoy!
    And great work Yorkie, keep it up troop!

17. anniem

anniem Active Member

Elizabeth, such excitement and also apprehension for you just now. You have prepared well and all will work out. Now just stop reading lists and going over and over things. To answer your questions (from my point of view)
    1. Backpack is fine to be left by your bed either on floor or occasionally there are pegs- remember NEVER on bed. You should have with you a small purse or wallet with shoulder strap/string just big enough for your valuables and you keep this with you at ALL times including the shower. At night I put mine under the pillow.
    2. Good idea to book in Santiago. A week or so out when I knew my arrival day I booked a hotel and it was so nice to have somewhere to go to not to mention my own bathroom.......!! Many blessings and Buen Camino

18. Elizabeth89

Elizabeth89 Member

This is me........Setting off today from London to begin my first Camino from SJPP tomorrow.

Look out for me on the Way - I'll be the one with the pink backpack with England rugby flag attached!!!

Thank you all for you help and guidance.

God bless and BUEN CAMINO!!

:) x

19. Armorel

Armorel Active Member

Buen Camino Elizabeth! Thank you for asking questions that were on the periphery of my consciousness - I set out from Scotland in 16 weeks. I can feel your excitement from here!
    Ultreya :) x

20. Randy Dickow

Randy Dickow Donating Member Donating Member

Buen Camino Elizabeth!! I have 113 days before departure. At least almost at doubledigits . I can hardly wait, but I've done something to my right knee on a training hike. Hopefully, it heals on its own.

21. Armorel

Armorel Active Member

Liked your post Randy, but not about your knee. Hope it eases up quickly. You arriving sjpp on 6th? Same as me?

Gerry Vandermaat likes this.
  22. Randy Dickow

Randy Dickow Donating Member Donating Member

I arrive in SJPdP on the 7th around 10 p.m. This year only going up to Orisson the first day (8th) because of late arrival/jet lag/age!

23. Woodchild

Woodchild Member

16!!!!!!!! I'm going to be on Valium by the time you say two weeks Armorel!!!
    I've put my pack in a spare room and I'm trying my best not to touch it for at least a month! Lol

Good luck to all of us. Xxx

24. AnnaKlura

AnnaKlura New Member

Oh come on. I have a year to wait. :(;)

Gerry Vandermaat and Armorel like this.
  25. Woodchild

Woodchild Member

Sending you healing Randy. Go easy on yourself

Gerry Vandermaat and Armorel like this.
  26. Gerry Vandermaat

Gerry Vandermaat Donating Member Donating Member

Home Page:
    G'day all,
    Not fair folks - my wife and I walked last year in April/May and have spent a whole year wishing we could do it again. Coming from Australia has a whole lot of logistical problems - the biggest being time. We wish we could just pop over for a couple of weeks and do a short walk every few months - but coming so far, it all or nothing. Gosh we loved it last year.

Wishing everyone fair weather and a Buen Camino,
    Gerry :)

27. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Active Member

Buen Camino!!!

Patt! likes this.
  28. Newforest john

Newforest john Member

My camino starts on June 30th so not really in a position to answer your questions but I do believe part of the magic of the camino is just going with the flow. I have booked the for the first 2 days, other than that I will be leaving it until I arrive...

hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  29. keithlundy1

keithlundy1 Active Member

Hi Elizabeth 89
    Keep your valuables safe when you go out, other pilgrims will watch over your rucksack whilst you're out 99.9% are honest pilgrims as you are, just be conscious not to present temptation and you'll be ok.

As for booking in Santiago, absolutely, as RJS said Santiago isn't just for Pilgrims. Most pilgrims may spend a day or two then head home where tourists will book in for a week. I've book the "Last Stamp Albergue", it's where I stayed last time 2015 and I've booked it again for 2 days when I arrive on the 25th August. It's very clean and quiet and the showers are to die for ha ha.

Happy trails Elizabeth, Buen Camino. Keith, Norfolk

30. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Active Member

Buen camino!

Patt! likes this.