1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only 23 Days

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Melissa, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Melissa

Melissa New Member

Hello! My friend has a tight schedule, so we will only have 23 days on the actual Camino. We are going the French Way. Any suggestions on what parts you would bypass? Thank you.

2. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Melissa. Although there are few places that you should bypass, I recommend to walk camino without bypassing any part. I see that you want to go to Finisterre, so my recommendation is count all days, count days for (walking to?) Finisterre, minimum one day in Santiago, and enough time for travelling back to Paris. Then select starting point according guide (whole Camino Frances is 31 days walking without rest days.).
    But here is another option: Start in Saint Jean and walk until your timeframe. And return to Camino next time for continuing to Santiago and Muxia/Finisterre. Or walk ony to Santiago, 23 days, without walking to Finisterre. On my first camino I bypassed part from Santo Domingo to Burgos and it was wrong decision.

Wily likes this.
  3. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Melissa - I’m in agreement with Danvo. I walked the CF in 31 days from SJPP to Santiago with no rest days. Walking to Santiago in only 23 days would be quite the challenge requiring a number of very long days. Your fitness level would certainly be a factor. Although some pilgrims skip the Meseta, it happened to be a favorite section of mine. But, like Danvo said, I wouldn’t skip any of it. My suggestion would be to start in SJPP and walk as far as you can in your 23 days. Keep in mind that it’s the quality of your experience that is most important, not the number of miles you travel. Savor your journey even if it means coming back at another time to complete it. Buen Camino!

danvo likes this.
  4. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Melissa

Lots of good info already posted and I also agree – Your options are, Either

1) Choose a shorter Camino that you can walk within your timeframe – Maybe something like The Camino de Madrid http://www.mundicamino.com/los-caminos/40/camino-de-madrid/ which at 322km would be around an ideal 14km a day average

2) Start off walking the Camino Frances at Saint Jean Pied de Port and walk as far as you get – Then return another year to finish it – This is what I did myself, I split the Camino Frances into two sections, the first one I planned to walk as far as Burgos, but actually got 3 days further to Fromista, then 2 years later, returned and walked all the way to Fenestra. One great thing about Spain is that you can get to Madrid from almost anywhere very easily by public transport, so, if you fly into Madrid then catch the train/ bus combination via Pamplona to Saint Jean Pied de Port, you don’t have to plan an exact end point and therefore are under no pressure to get to a certain place within a given timeframe :)

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

Ryedalerambler and danvo like this.
  5. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Or you can catch a bus, or train, to cover the Mesada.

6. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Yes – As UnkleHammy said, you can catch a bus, or train, to cover the Mesada

However, If you have started walking at Saint Jean Pied de Port, you will be walking in the company of your “Camino Family” as it is almost inevitable that you will make lots of new friends on your Camino and the end up walking with them during the day, then socializing with some of them in the evenings and therefore the trouble with the idea of hopping on a bus / train for a section (Or even more than one section) to enable you to fit a Camino into too short a timeframe is that you will then have to say goodbye to your Camino Family.

Also, I believe that there is something very special about walking an entire route and therefore there would always be that bit of dissatisfaction about not walking even small sections(s)

Best Regards

Rob

7. Melissa

Melissa New Member

8. Melissa

Melissa New Member

9. Melissa

Melissa New Member

Hello Wily! Thank you so much for your advice. I will share this with my walking partner.

Wily likes this.
  10. Melissa

Melissa New Member

11. Melissa

Melissa New Member

Thank you YJF! I really appreciate your input. I have a lot to think about here. Again, thank you.

12. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Melissa - Another approach to take is to figure out how far you can reasonably walk in 23 days. If you don’t already have it, pick up a copy of the Brierley guide to the CF. He has it broken down into very reasonable stages of between 20-30 km a day. Just based on his approach, which happens to be very popular with pilgrims, you could start in Burgos. It would take you approximately 23 days to reach Santiago. If you wanted to do it a bit quicker with a few longer days, you could conceivable have time then to walk on to Finisterre (3 days). The down side, at least from my perspective, is that you’d miss the beautiful passage from SJPP to Burgos including the great province of Navarra. Nonetheless, it’s all about the walk regardless of where you start. Buen Camino.

13. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    No Problem Melissa, pleased to be of help :)

I also agree that the first day (or two if you spend the night at Orisson) is the most spectacular of the entire Camino, so although starting closer to Santiago de Compostela is an option, it isn’t necessary a satisfactory one as you will be sure to meet up with others that had done the crossing and then feel that you have missed out.

You could pick up a copy of the Brierley guide, but I wouldn’t recommend that you followed the stages that he suggests as these create pinch points with overcrowded or unavailable accommodation – Where available, I have used the little guidebooks produced by The Confraternity of Saint James and found these to be both useful as well as incredibly accurate.

If you decide to start your Camino in Saint Jean Pied de Port then you will be given an up to date accommodation list at the pilgrims office where you pick up your credentials, I am sure that you will find this very useful :)

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

14. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Posted in error

15. Bryan Morlock

Bryan Morlock Pilgrim Bryan

As I look back at our experience of doing The French Way last fall I asked myself what part would I skip if I were in your shoes. And the answer is none. Go as far as you can, then come back another time to finish it. Once you have done part of the Camino, it becomes a part of you and you will forever want to come back to complete it or do it again.

16. Bryan Morlock

Bryan Morlock Pilgrim Bryan

I believe what is so special about the first day (or two if staying at Orisson) is that it is such a physically demanding challenge, so different from your normal world. You go from your prior life instantly into a life where you have to just walk. It takes you out of your comfort zone and forces you into a world separate from your former place without all of your normal resources. You are dependent upon yourself. It is a shock to the system, both physically and mentally. La Cruz de Ferro was our most spectacular experience. We were there just as the sun was about to rise and a young man pulled out a ukulele and played and sang Hallelujah. There was no other sound, no birds, no vehicles, nobody talking. It was our moment of the entire Camino.
    img_3270.jpg

UnkleHammy, RJS and Wily like this.
  17. Melissa

Melissa New Member

I did think of that, but my friend really wants to do the Mesada. Thank you. Im really regretting agreeing to such a short time on the Camino! Maybe Ill have to go back on my own!

UnkleHammy likes this.
  18. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Burn Camino and have a great walk.