1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other "camino-esque" Hikes?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mike F., Mar 27, 2018.

1. Mike F.

Mike F. Member

Hey, all...

Like many other "pilgrims," I got bitten with the hiking bug after doing the Frances last year. But, as unique and wonderful as that experience was, rather than re-do the Camino I'd like to try other, somewhat similar hikes in other parts of the world.

By "somewhat similar" I mean:
    --A couple hundred miles long
    --A trail with (not-t00-expensive) lodgings every ten or fifteen miles
    --Few, if any, stops along the way in urban centers.
    --Terrain that's at least occasionally challenging.

Any ideas?

Thanks

UnkleHammy likes this.
  2. davebugg

davebugg DustOff: "When I Have Your Wounded"

Do a search for GR routes with lodging. You'll find quite a few, each with different characteristics, in many different countries. My favorite is the Tour de Mont Blanc.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  3. Mike F.

Mike F. Member

"GR"?

4. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

It seems to be the European equivalent of highway. Many of the major toads In Europe have GR numbers.

5. davebugg

davebugg DustOff: "When I Have Your Wounded"

The Grande Randonnée (French), Grote Routepaden or Lange-afstand-wandelpaden (Dutch), Grande Rota (Portuguese) or Gran Recorrido (Spanish) They are long distance paths, many with hut to hut and other lodging waypoints within a days walk.

6. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Whoops, I normally reverse engineer competitors products so I don't normally get usable feedback from a knowledgeable source. I noticed that the most important roads had GR numbers and I assumed that that meant Great Route in whatever the local language was. I didn't realize that it also applied to other than paved roads.

7. MichaelSG

MichaelSG Active Member

More challenging, more scenic, more expensive, less people but not completely devoid is Wainright's Coast to Coast in England. It was a stunning 2 week walk. IMHO, but you will never find a perfect replacement for the convenience and cost the Camino's in Spain but with give and take, there are a lot of other places that have worthwhile walks. Obviously, also consider all or a portion the Via Francigena (we did the final 850 kilometers from Vercelli to Rome) as well as the GR routes.

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  8. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Have you considered walking another Camino ??

There are plenty to choose from, for a few ideas; you might like to read the list ion my tagline :)

After Camino Walking – My next love is Nepal and there are plenty of very inexpensive walks that you could don there from Epics like The Everest Base Camp Walk to The Annapurna Circuit.

Then (As already mentioned) my native UK has a lot of routes on offer including Wainwrights’ Coast to Coast, Offa’s Dyke (More or less following The Welsh Border) and The Southern Upland Way (Scotland’s Coast to Coast)

Another idea is The Polish High Tatra’s (The high ridge between Poland and Slovakia)

Like my Most Favourite T-Shirt Ever said “Too Many Highways – Not Enough Time”

Good Luck whichever route you choose

Rob

9. Mike F.

Mike F. Member

Thanks much for all the suggestions. A lot to think about!

RJS and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  10. anniem

anniem Active Member

Mt Blanc Circuit and GR 20 in Corsica are good places to start. https://www.thehikinglife.com/2017/03/a-quick-dirty-guide-to-corsicas-gr20/ This is a good and informative link to the GR 20
    Buen Camino

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  11. Margareta Varenhed

Margareta Varenhed Member

Start in Le Puy en Velay in France, and walk to lovely medieval little town of Conques or as far as you want to go. It's walking in pure nature and in beautiful small villiges. It has been my loveliest walk so far. The Gites (pilgrim hostels) are lovely and you pay around 32-35 euro for a lovely dinner including wine, bed and breakfast in great company. Rather hilly but such a beautiful part of the world.