1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our Camino Primitivo Stages

Discussion in 'Camino Primitivo or Original Way' started by Laurie Ferris, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Laurie Ferris

Laurie Ferris The Camino Provides

Home Page:
    I recently returned from an epic 40-day journey in Europe which concluded with two weeks walking the Camino Primitivo.

In a scallop shell (pun intended!), it was all amazing, and I have returned with a renewed sense of gratitude, faith, love, and awe. It has been said, and I believe it to be true, the Camino doesn’t end when you reach Santiago. It’s the internal Camino that sparks a fire that leads to transformation, often when one returns home. This is what keeps us pilgrims going on our life’s journey. And returning to Spain for more Caminos! Much of my Camino experience is personal and takes time for me to process. And while I didn’t exactly do a complete digital detox on the Camino, I did unplug and enjoy the experience. I am now sharing a few highlights on my Instagram and Facebook accounts while sorting through my photos and travel journal. I'll write a thorough route report like I have done for my previous Caminos, the Portugués and Inglés. For now, here are the stages with links to the tracked 3-D route videos and accommodations.

[​IMG]

Camino Primitivo 2018 Stages:
    Pre-Camino Stay in Oviedo, May 25 & 26:
    Hotel Ovetense (double room + breakfast)

Day 1, May 27: Oviedo to Sestiello / Grado 29.4 km (19 miles, includes walk to Naranco)
    El Lacayo de Sestiello (double room + breakfast)

Day 2, May 28: Sestiello /Grado to Salas 30.3 km (18.8 miles)
    Albergue La Campa (bunks + breakfast)

Day 3, May 29: Salas to Tineo 24.2 km (15 miles)
    Hotel Palacio de Meras (double room)

Day 4, May 30: Tineo to Pola de Allande 30.8 km (19 miles)
    Hotel La Neuva Allandesa (double room + breakfast)

Day 5, May 31: Pola de Allande to Berducedo 19.5 km (12 miles)
    Albergue Camin Antiguo (bunks + bread for breakfast)

Day 6, June 1: Berducedo to Grandas de Salime 22.7 km (14 miles)
    Albergue Casa Sánchez (bunks)

Day 7, June 2: Grandas de Salime to A Fonsagrada 29.3 km (18 miles)
    Pensión Casa Manolo (double room + breakfast)

Day 8, June 3: Fonsagrada to O Cadavo 27.3 km (17 miles)
    Albergue Porta Santa (bunks)

Day 9, June 4: O Cádavo to Lugo 30.2 km (19 miles)
    Albergue Casa da Chanca (bunks + breakfast)

Day 10, June 5: Lugo to Ferreira 31 km (19 miles) I skipped this stage so I could explore Lugo instead (6 km). Click here to see the Relive video.
    Albergue A Nave Ferreira (double room + paella dinner & breakfast)

Day 11, June 6: Ferreira to Melide 22.4 km (14 miles)
    Hotel Xaneiro (triple room + breakfast)

Day 12, June 7: Melide to O Pedrouzo 36.8 km (23 miles)
    Albergue Edreira (bunks)

Day 13, June 8: O Pedrouzo to Santiago
    Hospedería San Martín Pinario (pilgrim double room + breakfast)

[​IMG]

Map credit: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/primitivo/

Follow my blog to get notified when I roll out my daily Camino Primitivo posts. And feel free to ask me any questions about this or my previous Caminos. I’m here to serve pilgrims, so don’t be shy!

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson New Member

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson New Member

I am looking to doing my first Camino Primitivo in 2019. Does anyone have tips or had a great experience on this path? Thank you Laurie for your entry it has been helpful.

Laurie Ferris, RJS and UnkleHammy like this.
  4. calowie

calowie Active Member

Ken: We walked the Camino del norte and then branched onto the primitivo in 2015. Our stages were a little different from Laurie's- everyone's camino is a little different. We went across the hospitales route in what was an absolutely memorable day, and then after Lugo took a variant to Sobrado dos monxes to see, and stay in, a beautiful monastery. Our blog can be found at https://carlosandmick.wordpress.com/

Much of the fun is doing all the planning based on others' experiences and reports! Have fun!
    Carl

Crepes4Suzette, Laurie Ferris and RJS like this.
  5. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Ken and welcome to the forum

As you can see, Lauri has already given you a lot of good info and although I have also walked the Camino Primativo, this was a few years ago and therefore much of the info that I posted on my own blog at https://web.archive.org/web/20151120125413/http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/c2/ will be somewhat out of date.

However, I do have one recommendation, and that is, rather than stating your own Camino Primativo at Oviedo, instead start it at Villavicosa which is on the coast (Well actually on an estuary) and near to where the Camino Primativo splits off from The Camino Norte – By doing this, you won’t be missing anything ;-)

Tips – I would recommend the little guidebook produced by The Confraternity of Saint James which can either be a paper version or there are now “Kindle” versions available https://www.csj.org.uk/planning-your-pilgrimage/csj-guides-and-updates/

These little books are great value and apart from giving you some good info on the actual route, they also list all of the facilities including accommodation available en-route.

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

Laurie Ferris likes this.
  6. Laurie Ferris

Laurie Ferris The Camino Provides

Home Page:
    Hi Ken,
    I am hesitant to give advice as each person walks their own Camino. What I might love about an albergue for example, could be dreadful for others. There are so many factors to the Camino and pilgrims all have different preferences, budgets, moods, tastes, etc. But I will share my honest opinions on my experience and people can decide for themselves what is right for them.
    I can only advise that you go with your instinct, follow your heart, let go and let God lead. You will have a buen Camino if you trust your own guides. I hope to get some time to write more about the Primitivo soon.
    With that said, I loved using the Wise Pilgrim Primitivo guidebook, App and offline map!
    More details to follow.

7. Bearded Peregrino

Bearded Peregrino Unshaven Member

Home Page:
    My boss spends a few weeks every summer walking the Camino. He's stated that of all the routes he's done the Camino Primitivo is his favorite. It's known to be a beautiful and challenging route with very steep hills but absolutely beautiful scenery.

The reasons I'm drawn to this route include what I stated above, but also the history (it is the Original Way, after all) and the fact that it one can start and finish this route in a reasonable amount of time. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to walk the CF. But, 2 weeks on a more remote and less poplar route is very appealing to me.

Crepes4Suzette and hindsfeet like this.
  8. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I also Loved walking The Camino Primativo and think that you have made a wonderful choice. However, If you can generate the time, rather than stating your Camino Primativo at Oviedo, instead start it at Villavicosa which is on the coast (Well actually on an estuary) and near to where the Camino Primativo splits off from The Camino Norte – By doing this, you won’t be missing anything ;-)

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  9. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Calowie! Thanks for all your help re: doing the Primitivo - the Hospitales route was spectacular (and really tough). I wouldn't have missed Sobrado dos Monxes for anything.

RJS likes this.
  10. calowie

calowie Active Member

Crepes- 1) Glad you enjoyed the hospitales- it can be a lond day but it was one of our favourite days! 2) We were the first to check in to the monastery at Sobrado and had several hours to walk around! 3) I take it you had no problems finding a room in Friol? This is a beautiful stretch and I am glad you enjoyed it! Where next?

Crepes4Suzette, UnkleHammy and RJS like this.
  11. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Calowie, I called Casa Benigno from the bus station in Lugo and scraped through making the booking in very poor Spanish. They seemed to have plenty of rooms to let and few overnight visitors, so it was fine. Where next? I've signed up to do a month of disaster relief volunteering in the West Indies - they had some bad hurricanes in 2017. The organization sends people to Nepal also, so maybe there later on in the winter. I'm reading the UK Confraternity's booklet on the Mozarabe and Via de la Plata for Spring 2019:0)). It's never long before the next plan is hatched, is it?:0)). Thanks for asking and I'm curious about what next hike you're dreaming of?

RJS and UnkleHammy like this.