Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Pacemaker Trekking Poles?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jose, May 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jose

Jose Member

Have had a recommendation for Pacemaker trekking poles. Good price and good poles, they say. Have found two versions on Amazon. One aluminum 35 usd and one Carbon fiber for 45. Any experience with either one? Is Aluminum OK and will stand up? Maybe all these poles are more or less the same?
    Thanks!!!

2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Jose - Not familiar with the Pacemaker pole, but I use the BAFX Anti-shock Trail Hiking Poles. They're aluminum and have nicely completed two Caminos. They're sturdy enough to go many more. Best of all, on Amazon, they're only $21.99. Unless you want to spend the extra money, I think you'll be just fine with aluminum. Plus, if they were to turn up missing some morning, accidentally of course, you won't be out a large investment.

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  3. fluffkitten

fluffkitten Member

They look like fairly generic poles at not bad prices, should be fine for a Camino or two.

4. Jose

Jose Member

Will check them out. No need to spend money unnecessarily I always say! Thanks

5. Jose

Jose Member

Thanks for that! I have no idea. What a luxury to be able to get all of this good advice!!

6. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I don’t think that you need anything overly technical in the way of trekking poles for Camino Walking – I used a Leki “Replica” (Fake) that I bought for $3 US in Nepal for my 1.000 mile Big Camino and that stood the test of time and in fact is still going strong :) – This is just the standard 3 part fully adjustable aluminium trekking pole with the anti shock spring to minimise the constant jarring you would otherwise have transmitted to your wrist.

One other consideration might be transportation of your trekking pole(s) as many airlines (But rather surprisingly, not all of them) don’t allow trekking poles in cabin luggage, so are you having checked in luggage or not – If the latter then you might want to buy your trekking poles when you arrive at Saint John Pied de Port (Or wherever you choose to start your Camino)

Finally, transportation of trekking poles can often be problematic and I have something that might help

The Trekking Pole Pro-Tector (Which I have ethically made in Nepal)

Designed specifically to make transportation most 3 section trekking pole(s) simple and convenient

The Trekking Pole Pro-Tector is made from a strong water resistant fabric, With 3 or 6 reinforced compartments for the separate component parts of a 3 section trekking pole, there is also a small compartment for accessories such as baskets or cups.

Available in two sizes, Single Pole (Red) and Twin Poles (Blue) from our Online Shop

Please scroll down http://www.pro-tector.co.uk/travel-accessories for further details

Best Regards

Rob

hindsfeet and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  7. Wily

Although I don't have the Pole Pro-Tector, I do have the Backpack Pro-Tector. Just as Rob describes, it is well made and of high quality material. Although I have 't taken it on a Camino trip (only because I keep my pack with me in the cabin), I have already used it on several other domestic and international trip. It will be going with me to Guatemala in August. I'm able to lock the bag and it keeps my pack from getting damaged. I had to use a less sturdy bag for my poles to Portugal this year and luckily, they made it. I will definitely pick up a Pole Pro-Tector before my next Camino. The price is very reasonable for a high quality, ethically made item. Check out Rob's website. Buen Camino!

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    hindsfeet, RJS and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  8. Jose

Jose Member

Thanks a million! I like your bags. How long to get them from UK to Mexico where I live? Any idea of shipping cost?

9. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Jose

I normally dispatch orders on the same day that I receive it (as long as the order is received before mid-day on a weekday) and as long as I have received cleared funds with the order (PayPal is quickest and easiest to ensure this).

I dispatch orders using Royal Mail Royal Mail Airmail (With an option for Track and Trace) with an estimated delivery time to Mexico of 5 to 7 working days

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/international-delivery/airmail

Postage costs to Mexico vary depending on which method you opt for and what you order, but they are clearly stated before you confirm your order and pay

Best Regards

Rob Steele

PS – Wily – Thanks for your kind words about Pro-Tector and I am pleased to hear that your Rucksack Pro-Tector is serving you well and that you are taking to Guatemala in August :)

10. Jose

Jose Member

Thanks again!! Guatemala??? One of my favorite places on earth. Was just there in January for like the 3rd time in the last few years. Where are you planning on being?

Wily likes this.
  11. Wily

Hey Jose -Guatemala is a great destination! On this trip with my grandson, after a night in Antigua, we're heading to Xela for a couple days. My first visit there. Then it's up into the mountains to Todos Santos for a couple days of hiking. We then head to Lake Atitlan where we'll indulge in a couple cooking classes and climb a volcano. Finally, we spend our last five days in and around Antigua. My best friend from high school now lives there so, as I've done on other occasions, we'll be spending some time with him and his Guatemalan wife. Since I get down there almost annually, this trip is for my grandson. He's the same one who was with me last year in SMdA.

hindsfeet likes this.