1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pack to beat the carry-on rules

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by nollaigc, Dec 4, 2011.

1. nollaigc

nollaigc New Member

Good People,
    Just looking for a few thoughts on the above.
    My old 45ltr Lowe sack as just about seen its best days. It has served me well on 4 previous spins on the Camino Frances, and I never had any difficulty with it as a carry-on.
    My Dear Wife has offered to get me a new pack for Christmas. I just have to decide which one.
    Got to admit I saw a lot of cool sacks this year Deuters, Berghaus, Osprey etc, I fear I am becoming a bit nerdish in my pursuit for the perfect pack.
    So her are my requirements- big enough for a 7-10day hike and work as a carry-on.
    I had my pack weight down to 7kg this year and hope to make it lighter next year.
    All thoughts greatly appreciated.
    May I wish all on the Forums and Camino a Very Happy and Safe Christmas and New Year,
    NollaigC

2. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Hi NollaigC ~
    Packs are a very personal decision, mostly because it's not just the brand and size that are important -- it's how the pack fits onto each of our unique frames. I bought a new pack for this year's camino -- an Osprey Atmos 50L -- and it fit very well, but frankly was too big for my needs on the Camino. I'll use it on this year's Via Francigena where I'll have to carry a tent and stove, so I'm not complaining that I bought a larger pack, but I feel Camino pilgrims can do fine with a 35L +/- size. With my 50L pack filled about halfway I had no trouble this year getting EasyJet to accept it as carryon. Buen camino!

3. nollaigc

nollaigc New Member

Thanks HuskyNerd for that.
    Just a quick question in re the Osprey pack. Did you feel it was worth the expense?
    They seem to be the 'dogs' in relation to pack weight but they are not inexpensive.
    Being an avid reader of the forums, I was aware that you used an Atmos, I was just wondering how it compared to previous sacks,
    Regards ,NollaigC

4. HuskyNerd

Home Page:
    Hey NC ~
    Due to its lightness and its high quality construction I feel my Osprey was worth the extra cost. I'd happily have gone with a less expensive pack, though, but what won out for the Osprey was the fit. My choice came down to the Deuter or the Osprey, but the Osprey had Sm/Med/Lg frame options, while the Deuter models I looked had only had an adjustable frame that somehow I couldn't make fit just right for me. My previous pack was a Kelty which was fine, though of much heavier build. The thing I do miss about the Kelty was the ability to zip open the main compartment from the side as well as the top. That made it very easy to pack and unpack. I also like how it balanced when I set it down. The Kelty could stand by itself or easily be leaned against a wall. The Osprey's weight distribution pulls it away from a wall, making it hard to lean upright when I take it off to rest. Not a big deal, just one thing I miss about the Kelty.

If you can avoid it, it's best not to buy a pack from a catalog or online. The best choice is to go to a serious outfitter (like REI here in the US) and try on multiple packs loaded down with weights. Comfort and fit, along with size and quality, are probably the top criteria.

Buen camino!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  5. nollaigc

nollaigc New Member

Thanks Husky,
    Was your Kelty a 50 ltr as well and did it have a similar suspension system to the Atmos? I know that you feel the 50 ltr was a bit big for the camino frances- and from observation I would agree- but did you feel that it inhibited you in any way. I only ask I had a hankering to get the exos 46. the stated weight differance between the exos series of packs is very minimal.
    I'd love to try out as many packs as possible but access to many samples is limited in Ireland.
    NC

6. HuskyNerd

Home Page:
    Hey NC ~
    Good question. My old Kelty is a 40L pack and does not have the air suspension system. The size was better for the Camino Frances, while the lack of air suspension is actually a big deal. I loaned my grown son my Kelty pack in 2010 and I'm embarrassed to say it came back a little smelly (he's a little more relaxed than me about daily showers) and when I wore it in 2011 even after washing it a couple of times I couldn't quite get rid of the scent. The pack has a padded back with an "air channel system" of creases designed to provide ventilation, but in reality the daily perspiration of my son (and probably me, too) over 3 caminos (I loaned it to him again this year) has now led me to donate the pack to him permanently, which he doesn't mind at all. The pack is now like a (somewhat smelly) member of the family.

My Osprey's air suspension system works quite well in keeping my back cooler. I can really tell the difference when I'm wearing my waterproof pack cover in anticipation of rainstorms. The pack cover obscures the venting system and before long my back begins to sweat a tad. Once the pack cover is off, my back once more is cooler. It's quite noticeable and is a definite argument in favor of the suspension system.

As far as size goes, the extra roominess of the Osprey at 50L unfortunately means that at half full my clothes and gear sit at the bottom of the pack. This tends to pull the pack backwards a bit, rather than allowing the weight to sit higher in the pack and tip it slightly forward. In my opinion the optimal center of gravity for a pack is a little above the middle of the shoulders. Many people pack their heaviest gear on top for this reason. Due to its size an arrangement like this is just not possible with my Osprey.

Thanks for the thoughtful questions. Good luck in your pack selection and buen camino.

7. nathan

nathan New Member

recently purchased am omm 35 L. this was the lightest pack i have ever had the pleasure to own. the company produces packs for mountain marathon runners. it is fully featured and fits like a glove. although not the cheapest pack in the world the extra cost offset against each mile i walk will make it seem like a bargain

8. peregrina2000

peregrina2000 New Member

This post caught my interest because I too am in the market for a new pack. I have used the same old Mountainsmith Ghost pack since 2001, so that means I've carried it for 11 caminos! I love it and would give a lot to be able to find the same pack to replace it, but of course the model no longer exists. Imagine my delight when I read that Mountainsmith was bringing back the Ghost in 2012 -- the delight was shortlived when I realized that the only smilarity with my Ghost is the name. It's almost twice as heavy and totally different. Does anyone know of a place where discontinued models of backpacks are available? This is the one I'm looking for: Mountainsmith Ghost Internal Frame Backpacks Reviews

At 3100 cubic inches (50 L?), it is big, but I never have it full and the load adjusts beautifully with the cinch straps. If any of the experts can suggest a pack that seems comparable to the old Ghost, I'd be very grateful. Thanks, Laurie

9. nollaigc

nollaigc New Member

Nathan, which one of the 35 l packs was it.
    nollaigc

10. nathan

nathan New Member

my pack is the mountain marathon classic...wieghs in at between 630 and 775 grammes dependind on if you strip out some of the features or have it as the basic pack....i for one will not be taking the ski pole attatchment during august. i do like the idea of the duyo mat...the internal back pad that doubles as a sleeping mat....but may strip this out too to give space and less weight. the compression straps are usefull and it is suitable for camelback..(see other threads).over the next couple of months i will give it a thourgh shake down along with every thing else i intend to carry. the 32 l pack on the site is essentially the same as mine....i was able to get an end of line 35 from my local running shop.

11. Erman

Erman Guest

I am planning my first Camino and would like your list that only weighed 7kg. Which Osprey did you decide on?

12. nollaigc

nollaigc New Member

Erman,
    As is the nature of my chaotic life, I still haven't made a final decision on the pack. Lots of reasons for this but he matter has been put a bit on the back burner.
    As to my list, there is nothing in it that hasn't been mentioned by wiser and more experienced contributors.
    I will say that I have always predicated my list based on the weather predictions prevailing at the time of travel.
    This year was our first time to walk in October and I would readily admit to bringing too much- temps 30c.
    My success item of this years was using Smartwool socks.They are expensive but having suffered in the 'foot management stakes' in previous walks, I would have to report that they were a total success for me.
    I the trousers/shorts debate I am a two pairs of convertible-trouser man. The lighter the better-easier to dry.
    Again I would have to say that your list would have to be weather gauged.
    My colleague and I have been really blessed with good weather on any of our spins but I have met fellow Peregrino's who have suffered really bad weather.
    Hope that has been of some help- don't worry enjoy it all-the planning as well as the doing.
    Nollaigc

13. alberto

alberto New Member

I have an external frame backpack. Are these allowed as carry-on?

14. nollaigc

nollaigc New Member

Alberto,I honestly don't know the answer to your question, but I would hate to turn up at airport security and find that it was a problem.
    Perhaps a quick call to local airport security might give you the answer.
    I would hope if it meets the sizing criteria, it will be okay.
    Please do check.
    NollaigC

15. nollaigc

nollaigc New Member

Hi suj9,
    I'd love to hear how you get on with your search.
    My own research goes on- don't say I rush into anything- I think my wife thinks I am having an affair with all the backpack reviews, I have read!
    That said my walking companion and I have booked our flights to tackle the 'Norte' from the 12/4 to 21/4. so the the excitement builds.
    Best of luck with your search,
    Nollaigc

16. nollaigc

nollaigc New Member

I finally got my new pack...ye ha!.I know this is kind of sad but I have to say it is so cool.
    I finally got my hands on an Osprey Exos 46 and it feels so light. I feel so excited I can't wait to get going and give it a lash.
    Not tool long to wait until 12/4.
    Nollaigc