1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Packing list for women

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by Islandgirl808, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Aloha all, I have seen a lot of packing lists for men, and I was wondering if you could direct me to a packing list for women? Specifically with name brands recommmended. I live on an island and have no access to outdoor stores... So all has to be bought online. Boots, backpack, socks, sock liner, jackets, shirts, etc... That would be a great help. Mahalo!:D

2. Tigerrmc2014

Tigerrmc2014 New Member

Hello Island Girl :)
    I can help you out there....
    Try online with "Live out There" and "Mountain Equipment Coop" MEC.... they have everything I bought for myself. Copying the link is not working for me but google them.
    Another amazing online store is Magellans Travel Supplies.

Good Luck
    Robin

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
    Canadian Wander likes this.
  3. patsykate

patsykate New Member

Sportiva boots are very lightweight, wide and comfy, which allows for the swelling and spreading of the peregrino feet. . I'm opting for ultra lightweight merino wool. Icebreaker and Patagonia both carry these tanks, tees, shorts, leggings, sweaters, whatever you want. Quick drying and doesn't get smelly...well depends on how long between washings. Ok. a bit pricy, but the clothes last forever. I've already taken most of my items into the mountains, rowing the rivers and sitting in the shade during deep heat...windy and cold. Love the stuff.

4. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator

You could take a look at my packing list here and also on my blog is an assessment of clothes and gear. Both these posts relate to my camino Frances last year.

I have just completed the camino Portuguese and have updated quite a few items. I will be posting a new list and assessment on my blog shortly.

5. Elizabeth2014

Elizabeth2014 Member

HI Island Girl:

I just got back from the Camino a month ago. I had originally bought Sportiva but found the boots too rigid (as I did many brands) for my slightly flat feet. I ended up getting a pair of Lowe Renegades at a local trail store (they are also available through REI.com) and bought good quality inserts that conform to your individual feet. The Lowes worked really well for me. I noticed in the albergues that a lot of other pilgrims were wearing Lowe Renegades too. BTW REI.com is a great source of supplies.

Buen Camino!

6. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator

Having now completed my second camino (Portuguese from Lisbon) and with a little more experience, I have a new packing list here and an assessment of gear and clothes here. I hope these are helpful.

7. Cinderchutes

Cinderchutes New Member

Well, a few comments. Years ago, I hiked many miles in the US and England. As far as boots go, buy the BEST you can afford, period. Break them in before you leave if possible. If not, pour very hot water, not boiling in the boots and wear them until they dry which will allow them to form to your feet. After drying, treat them with a high quality leather conditioner not silicone treated products. Avoid Gortex lined boots, they are simply a waste of money and hot as hades. I like the Zamberlan boots which are Italian and are very, very well made. They are all leather and have somewhat of a negative heal with a bit of rocker in the toe. Negative heel is the heal is slightly lower than the toe. It allows a more aligned stance for walking. As far as what to carry, it is very individual. Remember you can buy things along the way if needed. Pack your gear and repack it several times leaving out items you know you can purchase. Spain is not a wilderness,it is a modern country. I keep tight control of only several items, money, passport and my jacket which can offer warmth and shelter any time. The rest I can purchase if stolen or lost.

8. carita

carita New Member

Hello Island girl
    Having walked the full camino in September 2013 I would highly recommend fine wool underwear(icebreaker) which as others have said is expensive but certainly worth it. I also use the fine merino tops and used them all the way.Montane also have a good light fleece.I recommend trekking poles as if used correctly they can conserve about 20% of energy.
    I also wore a goretex light rain jacket which was ok in light downpour but when it rained all day in Galicia the people who fared best were those who wore those crazy looking light weight ponchos that covered the pack as well. Thats what I will use next time.
    I used a slightly flexible Shoe/boot with goretex which was fine.Cant recommend a brand in particular
    Judy

9. Bijoux

Bijoux New Member

Maybe one thing to add to all the packing lists I've seen (for women not yet in menopause): whichever products to manage through the periods.

10. Tina-Marie Brownie

Tina-Marie Brownie Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Bijoux, I have seen that you can take a menstrual cup which will save on money and packing room. Although I personally have not used one, I have been told they are easy to use. Buen Camino :D

11. lynee

lynee New Member

I am from Australia so some of the brands you mention we cannot obtain but last years I walked 120 km of the camino in 3 1/2 days , I use salomon xa pro gortex hiking shoes and they were great, I hav ebought another pair as I will do the entire camino next year. I have a gortex jacket ( snowgum brand) and one day it rained for the entire 30 km that I walked and my feet and top half were dry, I had only one merino t shirt that trip but will get some merino leggings and a long sleeve tshirt for the next trip.

freetobe and Wily like this.