Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Packing Suggestion For A Couple...

Discussion in 'Traveling to and from the Camino' started by Canadian Wander, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander Well-Known Member

Hi all, just had a suggestion for couples traveling to do the Camino, and the ever present headache in regards to hiking poles, pocket knives, liquids...and to check luggage or carry-on flight. What we found worked really well was to shift our packing process. In one bag, the one that would be carry-on, we put items we really couldn't bear to find go missing if checked, the footwear, sleeping bag, best comfy walking pants, etc. In the second, add the hiking poles, liquids, etc that would not normally be allowed or a headache for carry-on.
    Yes, you always run a risk of your pack that was checked taking a walk on its own, but in this case, only a couple of non-mission critical items, not the whole gear.
    I know lots of people worry about checked bags, but we started with the thought that the Camino would provide, and to trust the airline... and it worked like a dream. Once we got to Biartiz, we just re-juggled our bags to the his and her carrying configuration, and away we went.
    Just throwing this out there!

2. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

@Canadian Wander best of all is check allowed size of cabin baggage. If your backpacks are reasonable for Camino (ca 40L) you can take it as carry on. Walking poles you can buy in SJPP and everywhere on the way. Knife too, for only few euros. So there is not important thing you must carry from home I think. soap bar instead of shower gel, etc..

Wily likes this.
  3. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Donating Member Donating Member

If I get to go again, I plan to book a place in Saint Jean (probably with booking.com) and find someone with good French skills. Then have them write a letter for me to where ever I reserved a place and see if they would let me mail a package to them with my poles, etc. Then I won't have to carry "illegal" stuff on the plane.

Gerry Vandermaat likes this.
  4. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Hammy - On my summer hiking trip to Mexico, my backpack, just a 35L one, went with me into the cabin while I checked a box large enough for my collapsable poles and knife. Just as CW indicated above, all of my essentials stayed with me. If my box weren't to arrive on the same flight, the worse case scenario would be to replace my poles once I got there. So far, so good! This is the same strategy my wife and I are using in March when we head to Portugal to walk. If the poles and knife don't arrive with us, I'll simply replace them, and we'll be on our way the next day since we'll have our packs and everything else we need.

5. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

We did the same for our camino flight(s). We carried on our backpacks, and put our trekking poles, pocket knife and scissors into an inexpensive canvas bag which we checked on, then discarded at the Madrid airport after all arrived safely.

Gerry Vandermaat and Wily like this.
  6. luvtraveling

luvtraveling New Member

Keep in mind that shipping to Europe from the USA is very different than shipping something within the USA. The woman I walked with shipped warmer clothes, socks and her sleeping bag to Casa Magica in Villatuerta. The package arrived in Spain, but it never left Customs! She continued to check on it for about a week until finally giving up. She never did receive her package.

7. calowie

calowie Member

Hello
    The benefits of traveling light are that usually you can take your full packs on the plane. We have done so twice with 36 L packs without any problems. We did not take poles or knives- bought a knife and some things after we arrived in Spain. The comfort level of having our packs with us on the flight without the worry about ..."what if the packs do not make it".... concerns was relaxing. And this is extra incentive to take a smaller pack with fewer things to ensure it will fit on the plane. Fewer things means less weight and strain on the back, hips, and knees, which is an extra bonus!

danvo and UnkleHammy like this.
  8. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Donating Member Donating Member

If I get to go again I plan on getting a smaller back pack so that I will be able to keep it with me on the plane and be forced to carry less.

9. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

I so hope you can re-start, UnkleHammy. I remember we spoke about your first Camino's end. I'd be happy to write the enquiry in French for you to ask at places in SJPP. I wonder if the Pilgrim's office there would accept the forwarded items? There are many volunteers there who speak enough English to answer whether they could or could not do this. I'm pretty sure their address is http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org - they might give a response when the time comes.

RJS and UnkleHammy like this.