Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Paris Cdg To Montparnasse

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Keith Bold, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Keith Bold

Keith Bold New Member

Hi everyone.

I'm just booking out travel plans. We are flying to Paris from Manchester and planning on taking the TGV to Bayonne the same day. Not a city person! Does anyone have experience of getting from the airport (CDG) to Montparnasse station? Our flight lands at 12:30 and the train departs at 15:50. Sounds d0-able assuming all goes well. If we miss it I guess i'll just have to spend some of my overtime and take the next one which is about 6pm. I think.
    We will stay in Bayonne and travel to SJ the following day before commencing out walk the day after that.
    Wondering if that is actually enough time to get the 15:50 train.

Regards

Keith

2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hi Keith - Getting from the airport to the Montparnasse station is quite easy. Click on the link below for full information on Le Bus Direct.

http://www.lebusdirect.com/en/

As you exit the doors at the arrivals area, you will see where the buses pull up. There will be a sign for Le Bus Direct into downtown Paris. You want Ligne 4, the one that goes to the Gare Montparnasse. At that time of day, because of pretty heavy traffic, it will take approximately 70-80 minutes. Buses leave in the half hour and cost 17€. It will drop you off right at the side entrance of the station. Once inside, just look at the large departure board for your train. Trains in France are quite prompt in leaving!

Three and a half hours should be enough time to get downtown if 1) your flight is on time, and 2) you're not held up to long with a crazy big crowd at immigration. But, to expedite getting out of there, do NOT check your backpack. Take it as carry on so once you de-plane you can hurry on to immigration and customs. It's typically a very quick process in Paris as long as there isn't a lot of other people arriving at the same time. Once you clear, you'll find the bus directly outside at arrivals. Just look for signs.

Worse case scenario is that you have to take a later train at 18:00. When I did this, I got to Montparnasse much more quickly than I had anticipated and instead of waiting around all morning, I exchanged my ticket for an earlier train and paid the fare difference. As you are staying in Bayonne overnight, you'll at least make it there the same day you arrive in France even if it is a bit later. You should be just fine and have a good chance of making the 15:50 train. Buen Camino!

fluffkitten likes this.
  3. calowie

calowie Member

Keith
    If you look on the SNCF website there is a train leaving from the Charles de Gaul airport rail station leaving at 16:20 arriving around 22:30 in Bayonne- it just means not having to leave CDG to get to Montparnasse.

Wily and fluffkitten like this.
  4. Wily

Hey Keith - Calowie has a very good suggestion here. Save yourself the trip and possibly the stress of traveling into the city. Further, and I'm not sure you said when you're traveling, but I think that you'll find the fares to Bayonne similar regardless of whether you leave from Montparnasse or from CDG. When I checked the SNCF website for hypothetical dates, the fares were about the same. If this is the case, you'll save yourself 34€ by not taking Le Bus Direct. Plus, if you do arrive a bit late or get tied up in immigration, you don't have to worry about that 80 minute ride to Montparnasse hoping to catch the 15:50 train. Have a nice lunch at the airport and relax after a long flight. Do grab some sandwiches or snacks for your train trip south. Buen Camino!

5. Keith Bold

Keith Bold New Member

Great idea regarding the train from CDG. I'll book that. We can have a sleep on the train.

Keith

6. Nancy Coons

Nancy Coons New Member

We are also flying into Paris and taking the train to Bayonne. We will leave the next morning for SJPP and start our walk. Any recommendations on where to stay in Bayonne?

7. Wily

Hey nancy - For it character, charm, location and price, let me recommend the Hotel des Arceaux in downtown Bayonne. It's then just a very short walk across the river in the morning to the train station. From what I just saw on Booking.com, there are still rooms available for your date, but it is filling up fast. I'd reserve a room right away. As there is free cancellation, you have nothing to loose by getting your reservation in now even if you chsnce your mind later. Buen Camino!

8. Keith Bold

Keith Bold New Member

Hi, I actually was unable to find a hotel in Bayonne spender up booking the earlier train I mentioned and arranging translated straight to sjpp that night. Going to be a busy day and we won't get to that hotel until 10pm. Then now we've a few nights there. Not ideal but I left it late. Good luck.