1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peregrino Christmas Present

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Topics' started by BROWNCOUNTYBOB, Nov 2, 2017.

1. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

During both our caminos (Sept 2015 and Sept 2017), my wife and I really enjoyed walking through vineyards, olive groves, almond tree groves, and looking at many vegetable gardens - all of which were being harvested as we walked both caminos.

I wrote myself a note to follow-up after our camino to find out whether it is possible to purchase an olive tree and keep it as a living recuerdo of our caminos. I checked on Amazon and was pleasantly surprised to find out this is possible.

There are many sizes and types available. The one listed below is an Arbequina Olive Tree, which is live and is between 2 and 3 feet tall. It is self pollinating and produces olives which can be eaten. The listed price is $55.99 plus $20.50 shipping fee. There are some restrictions; for example, it cannot be shipped to CA or AZ due to state laws. For this tree, there are eight customer reviews and all are very positive. The olive tree comes with a 5 day warranty if the tree is damaged in transit.
    [​IMG]
    I've asked my wife to order one for a Christmas present for me and we'll keep as an indoor patio plant.

Merry Christmas, peregrinos !

BROWNCOUNTYBOB

RJS and UnkleHammy like this.
  2. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

What a great idea....I'd prefer a vine tho :)

RJS likes this.
  3. exotiny

exotiny New Member

Home Page:
    Hello all!

That is great!

4. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Quick update on this topic. So I did get an olive tree for an Xmas present. It looked great when it arrived in early December, but then started dropping leaves. No doubt this was due to some "shipping shock" and also limited south exposure during the winter months. It stabilized after awhile and my wife closely monitored the soil moisture to make sure she did not overwater the plant. It has perked up nicely how that hot and humid weather has arrived in Indiana. It now resides on a shaded place on our back porch and looks very healthy. It has just begun to show new growth on the branches.

5. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Bob – It sounds like you have had a lot more luck with your Olive Tree than I have had in the past with my own attempts to grow Yuka Trees that I have bought in Spain – I aren’t sure whether that is my own not very green fingers, or the less than ideal weather conditions in the Wilds of Cumbria ;-)

Best Regards

Rob

BROWNCOUNTYBOB likes this.