1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Permethrin for Bed Bugs

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SparrowGirl, Apr 4, 2012.

1. SparrowGirl

SparrowGirl New Member

I've got most things sorted now for my May camino from SJPP to Burgos. All the information on this forum is brilliant and covers just about every subject that we new peregrinos need before setting out.

Can anyone please help with information on what permethrin product to buy and where the best (and cheapest) place to get it in the UK. There seems to be a good product from Sawyer but I can't see where to purchase this in the UK. On Amazon there is a product by Lifesystems which looks good but only has 5 customer reviews. There is also a cheaper product - Nomad Bugproof clothing treatment. I want to get the best and most effective one to treat my fitted sheet, sleeping bag etc.

What products have other more experienced travellers used and found effective? As well as treating sheets and sleeping bags, is it adviseable to also treat all your clothing?

Buen Camino!

2. guidance

guidance Member

Hi,somewhere on the forum,someone recommended an english product called Skitostop,the company is called Nikwax,i bought 500 ml,which was enough to treat my sleepingbag,and a bedsheet inside and out,i bought it online,on www.nikwaxwebshop.de,think it was about 15 euros,,(hope it works)

3. EagleAK

EagleAK Peach

I'm just starting my research and training for my camino in Sept. Recently read about the bed bugs issue. For the previous post; please share your findings on your completion regarding how sever the bd bugs are and the affective treatment found. Thank you

4. IanMc

IanMc Guest

Hi,
    Currently on my Camino Frances. I have had no bed bug problems nor have I heard of any yet.
    My precautions were to buy a Lifeventure(available UK) bed sheet which gives me a base cover that is small and light and a water based petherin spray from Nikwax that I tried to get onto my rucksack, the water proofing made this hard and I sprayed the outer of my sleeping bag.

I have a hanging strap for my rucksack and do not leave it on the ground just in case.

I don't know if the problem is less in the colder months? I will make sure everything is hot washed before going into my home on my return.

Don't panic, it's not a major problem yet! Simple precautions will suffice!

Buen Camino, Ian

5. trumpy

trumpy New Member

Hi Sparrowgirl

Lifesystems Insect Control Spray will be fine for you. It comes in a 350ml plastic spray bottle which has a separate screw top so it is safe in your rucksack. You do have to be careful using it as it will kill most insects, even 'nice' ones like spiders and bees. A good spray a couple of days before you go may be enough if you do not want to take the bottle with you, it should be effective for several weeks. It is available from Oswald Bailey and Cotswold Leisure that I know of and costs between £8 and £9. Hope this is of help to you.

Buen Camino

Ron

6. EagleAK

EagleAK Peach

." Thank you for the reply and enjoy your comino:eek:. " eagleak

7. SparrowGirl

SparrowGirl New Member

Thanks all you guys for the advice. I think I'll get the Lifesystems spray which I've seen on Amazon and I'll spray my sheet, sleeping bag and rucksack before leaving, and wash everything hot immediately I get home, then hopefully I won't bring any hitch-hikers back to my home.

Ian, thanks for replying from the Camino, I'm glad you haven't encountered any bugs yet and hope you enjoy the remainder of your trip.

Buen Camino