1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phone Plan?

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by MichaelJA, Apr 12, 2018.

1. MichaelJA

MichaelJA New Member

Is What's App the best choice? Or should I consider another phone plan? I don't plan on making many calls.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi again Michael.

These days there is so much free internet available on Camino, if you aren’t intending using your phone much, then using the internet and apps like messenger is certainly an easy way to keep in touch with your friends and family – And they are usually FREE :)

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

UnkleHammy likes this.
  3. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

As RJS said WiFi is just about everywhere so having access to the web is about all you need. I had my phone with me and used it when a problem developed. You can never tell what problems will develop in a several week period both on the Camino and from home.

Before I left I went to ATT, Sprint and T-Mobile and decided that T-Mobile had the best options. All current cell phones can operate anywhere in Europe. There is the problem of what to use as a SIM card with many variations of what they can do. Since I am from the US I went with local carriers that had international access.

Many people think that the best thing they can do is get intentionally cut off from all the "internet gadgets" and don't take a cell phone with them. I know how to ignore the phone and my phone has a quite nice camera on it which I used a bunch.

4. davebugg

davebugg DustOff: "When I Have Your Wounded"

For me, I decided to use Verizon's international call plan. If I need to use cell or text, it automatically starts a 24 hour clock. During that 24 hours, I have unlimited calls or text back to home, or anywhere in the world. At the 22 hour mark, an automatic text message from Verizon is sent letting me know that I am nearing the end of the 24 hour period. When the end of the 24 hours has occurred, I am no longer charged a fee, until I decide I need to initiate another round of calls and texts.

I use that plan to supplement wifi for calling and texts, which is frequently available.

When I get back home, it is automatically stopped. When I go back to Spain or France, it is there and will automatically engage the plan when needed. I don't need to keep calling Verizon to engage the plan or to discontinue the plan.

Each 24 hours is $10.00. Verizon also has other various plans as well, with defined numbers of text and call minutes for a set additional monthly fee added to your normal fee.

Chip Frazier likes this.
  5. UnkleHammy

I am not sure About the details of the Verizon plan, but it sounds simlar to the AT&T plan. The AT&T plan starts their 24 hours when you get a phone call and that includes spam calls. I didn't want to pay $10 for a spam call that I didn't want. I am not a big phone user and typically only use mine 2 or 3 times a week.

6. davebugg

davebugg DustOff: "When I Have Your Wounded"

Verizon is different in that the initiating call is made by you. If you receive a call from your country of origin there is no charge; it is considered as part of your regular monthly plan. The same for texts.

Chip Frazier and UnkleHammy like this.
  7. Dennis White

Dennis White Donating Member Donating Member

If phone is unlocked purchasing a local 'pay as you go sim' with call & data or just data is cheap and a good back up to get out of trouble eg. using email or msg. I rarely make calls and if need be use 'hangouts' or similar when WiFi ( great Aussie invention) is available. This option is also good when travelling with a partner and enables to keep in touch if separated.

Ian Mackenzie and UnkleHammy like this.
  8. UnkleHammy

I made no effort at getting local SIM cards. My foreign language skills are almost nonexistent. I figured out that if I did as much as I could before leaving, that there would that much less stress on when I got off the plane. I had enough problems with jet lag and lost luggage.

9. Dennis White

Dennis White Donating Member Donating Member

That's understandable. An option to avoid that is to pre purchase euro sims online. There are a few good options available.

Chip Frazier and UnkleHammy like this.
  10. Chip Frazier

Chip Frazier New Member

I used this Verizon option on a trip last June to Tuscany. WiFi was available in my villa and I used the international rates seldom. But, it was there if I needed it!

davebugg, UnkleHammy and Dennis White like this.