1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pilgrim Statistics -- When they walk and where they're from

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by HuskyNerd, Apr 11, 2012.

1. fraluchi

fraluchi 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015

Home Page:
    Happy New Year!
    The 2015 Pilgrim Statistics have been published by the Santiago Pilgrims' Office.
    You can check the figures on www.peregrinossantiago.es (choose your language, click Pilgrims Office, click Statistics)
    262'458 pilgrims checked in at the Pilgrims' Office this 2016. That's a 10 % increase vd. 2014 (also 2014 recorded a 10% increase vs. 2013)

2. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

I hop that you meant 2015, not 2016.

3. fraluchi

fraluchi 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015

Home Page:
    Lapsus, indeed :D I'm not a clairvoyant yet, though I would predict that the numbers for 2016 will be well above any past ones.:eek:

Devon Mike likes this.
  4. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton New Member

I know two who are definitely thinking about it because of the movie!!

My wife and I!

Peyton Merrell likes this.
  5. Peyton Merrell

Peyton Merrell New Member

I was thinking the same thing

6. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Fascinating statistics from the Pilgrim's Office that Fraluchi posted. Interestingly, only 5% of the pilgrims in 2015 came from the States. Already this year, the number of American pilgrims seem significantly higher. Still, Americans represent a minority of pilgrims even if their annual numbers get up to 10%. One of the really wonderful things for me was getting to meet so many people from all over the world.

As much as I, too, first got motivated to walk the Camino because of the movie, I'm not sure it's had the same impact worldwide. I'm still amazed that so many Americans I mention the Camino to have never heard if either it nor the movie. Perhaps the other explanation for the increase in pilgrims has more to do with the Pope declaring 2016 a holy year - the Year of Mercy. If I were a betting man, we'll see a drop back down to more normal levels in 2017. Nevertheless, although The Way was a very Hollywood-type, romanticized portrayal of the Camino, it snagged me for which I'm very grateful.

7. Peyton Merrell

It is interesting to me as well that no one has heard of the Camino in my neck of the woods. The movie has started a fire in me to study and learn all I can about the Camino and people's experiences on the Camino. I seriously think that this is what's been missing in my life and if it's not then maybe walking the way will help me find what is.

BROWNCOUNTYBOB likes this.
  8. UnkleHammy

HI
    Glad to see you here. I hope that you can find answers to your questions/worries easily. If not ask and one, or several, of us will try and help.

Peyton Merrell and Eddie Horton like this.
  9. Tina-Marie Brownie

Tina-Marie Brownie Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I actually heard about the Camino when sitting in a coffee shop with some friends. It resonated with me so strongly that I had immediately decided that I would do it for my 50th which is next January (as I knew I had two surgeries coming this year). Now I live, breath and sleep Camino - cannot stop watching you tube vlogs and I think I nearly purchased every Camino book I can find. "The Way, My Way" by Bill Bennett has been my favourite book to date but I have also enjoyed so many others also. My husband thinks that "Camino" is a communicable disease spreading globally :)

BROWNCOUNTYBOB, UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  10. Peyton Merrell

I know how you feel Tina, I have been the same. I haven't bought The Way, My Way yet but it's on the list. Will your husband be joining you on the Camino?

11. fluffkitten

fluffkitten Member

Oddly while I'd heard of the Camino 30 years or so ago (can't remember the context) I only found out about the movie when I started reading this forum. But then I'm not much of a film goer. :)

12. Peyton Merrell

You must watch the movie

13. Eva Sheftel

Eva Sheftel New Member

I'm in the very early stage of preparation for el Camino ...thank you for this magnificent resources

14. UnkleHammy

The more you look the more you will find. Look everwhare, some items are miscataloged.

15. Daniel Bowater

Daniel Bowater Member

Hey guys, some interesting statistics here. Interesting too about the impact of the movie "The Way". I met alot of American and fellow Australian pilgrims in June when I walked Camino Frances. But you might be surprised to hear I was insipred by a different movie made by a small time Aussie film crew called "Unlikley Pilgrims". This movie gives a realistic account of three drug addicts taken to Roncesvalles to heal their mind and body. I watched the Martin Sheen "The Way" a few days before by flight just to see what all the fuss was about! By that time I had seen another reality movie "6 ways to Santiago"!

16. Tina-Marie Brownie

Tina-Marie Brownie Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Daniel, I loved that movie as well and felt for the poor Counsellor at the end.

Daniel Bowater likes this.
  17. ToussantFrend

ToussantFrend New Member

This looks great. I might check it out. :)

Daniel Bowater likes this.
  18. Daniel Bowater

Daniel Bowater Member

Hi Tina-Marie,
    I know! He was in a VERY difficult situation. I also felt aweful for him! I'm so glad I purchased that film.

Toussant Frend,
    I hope you like it! Just a sidenote... the language is pretty foul in "Unlikley Pilgrims".

In "Six ways to Santiago" it shows edited versions of real camino experiences. Hope you enjoy them!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  19. Bryan Morlock

Bryan Morlock Pilgrim Bryan

I got into doing the Camino in an indirect manner. My sister and her boyfriend, Vince, saw the movie "The Way" and Vince declared "I have to do that." My sister called me and said "Bryan you have to go along. Vince will lose his way, his wallet, etc. and never come back." I had never heard of the Camino so I started doing some research and began watching videos on YouTube to learn about it. As a history buff it caught my attention and I was also thinking about doing a religious trip. When I first started watching the videos on YouTube I was looking at the scenery and the sights. Then I started looking at the heights (I don't like heights) and the risk of falling off a mountain. Then I was looking at the poles, shoes, and backpacks people were using. Finally, I was looking at the people and what kind of condition are they in. How do I compare? I saw the movie "Six Ways to Santiago" and I was hooked. We made our plans, booked the flights, and did the training. I did not see "The Way" until about six weeks before we left. Now I think about our Camino experience every single day. We did SJPDP - Finnesterre in Sept/Oct 2017. I've done a number of presentations on our experience since I have been back, and am currently advising a group of three potentially headed there this fall. Our experience is documented at pilgrims4blog.wordpress.com.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    UnkleHammy, Wily and Canadian Wander like this.
  20. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

LOL, funny the 'how' we hear about the Camino.
    For me, my wife had read about about long range hiking, and did a google search, and came across notes about the Camino. She felt that it was so cool. She brought it up to me and suggested we do it. I was not 100% on board to start. I used to be in the military, and having walked across a country or two with a pack and rifle did not scream "fun" to me. Her response was simple:
    1) "no one is going to shoot at you"
    2) "crusty bread and red wine..."
    and
    3) "you need a new pack..."
    Hooked.
    After a bit of research, and seeing both the Way, and Six Ways to Santiago, I was all in.
    Now I am the convert that pushed to do the Portugal hike in Sept!

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  21. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Its great reading about how people “Discovered” Camino walking :)

My own story is that I started doing an annual long distance walk in aid of cancer research – I was rattling through the UK and Ireland walks and having done Wainwright’s Coast to Coast in my native Cumbria, Offa’s Dyke in Wales, The Coast to Coast in Ireland, The Annapurna Circuit, Everest Base Camp and Langtang in Nepal, a route across Corsica, The Anti Atlas Mountains in Morocco and The High Tatras in Poland –Then a Doctor friend of mine who came from Asturias said that I went walking all over the world, but never Spain and why was this as Spain had a network of paths called Camino’s – Like many English people, I had never heard of them (This was almost 20 years ago) and I was Amazed when I Googled Camino de Santiago on day and this map came up

elcaminodesantiago.jpg

And, the rest as we say is now history :)

22. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

My wife and I were hooked a few years before I retired (yearend 2014). We walked camino frances the fall of 2015 and again last fall. We're planning our third camino for the fall of 2019. Like many of you, we've made several presentations of our experience to church, school and other social groups. We were recently interviewed by the communications director of my alma mater high school (Bishop Chatard). A nice three page story was included in their recent spring edition. Here is the link. Bob

http://online.fliphtml5.com/qnso/xspx/#p=6

UnkleHammy, RJS and Bryan Morlock like this.
  23. Bryan Morlock

Bryan Morlock Pilgrim Bryan

Nice article. Well done!

RJS likes this.
  24. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

If it seems that Santiago is always busy, it’s because IT IS! Take a look at the website for the Oficina del Peregrino:

https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/statistics/

In the month of August (2018), over 60K pilgrims crossed the threshold of the Pilgrim’s Office to collect their Compostelas or Certificate of Distance. Although not the largest month on record, but close, that’s a hugh number of pilgrims on one Camino trail or another.

For anyone interested in who we are, the breakdown of demographic characteristics is most informative. From gender and age to nationality to reasons for walking, the data give an insightful picture of the modern pilgrim. Statistics for the particular Camino and starting point gives us a further indication of what is happening along the pilgrimage routes in Spain, Portugal, and France. The annual data is equally interesting although it’s only been summarized through 2016. However, with the assistance of my handy calculator, for 2018, nearly 235K pilgrims have already registered at the Pilgrim’s Office in Santiago! Over 500 arrived just today! Projecting out to the end of the year, based on the 2017 numbers, significantly more than the 300,000 people who completed a pilgrimage last year will do so in 2018. Pretty impressive! Buen Camino!