1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pilgrimage Tv Series On Bbc

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rnwinters, Mar 31, 2018.

1. rnwinters

rnwinters Member

Does anyone know how to view the new BBC Pilgrimage TV series in the US? We live in Maine.

Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.
  2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Unfortunately, my understanding is that this series is currently only available in the UK (Due mainly to copyright laws) – But eventually, it will probably become available to buy through https://www.acorndvd.com/dvd/acorn-bbc-dvds.html

So – Unless the BBC sells the series to one of your local networks in the US, buying the DVD will probably be the only way that you could watch it outside the UK.

Best Regards

Rob

3. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

If you can find it as online video somewhere on the web, but you can't play it, as you are outside UK, it is protected by license only for that country. Of course, it is possible (technically) to view it in US (or anywhere else) too, but....

4. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Bob, I learned about this last week. After exploring several pathways, I found out I could access from YouTube. My wife and I watched the first two (of 3) episodes, both of which were approx. one hour long. It's always great to see the camino scenery.

The one disappointing thing is there is a severe anti-religious theme throughout the two episodes. This is pervasive in most of the interviews. Perhaps this is common on BBC network. They really missed an opportunity to develop a much more positive tone regarding their camino experience.

Bob

RJS, danvo and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  5. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

RJS likes this.
  6. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I didn’t realise it was available on YouTube – But after reading the above post from Bob, I soon found the relevant link to the 1st episode

I watched the first ½ of the first episode yesterday on BBC i-player and couldn’t be bothered to watch any more – I have never heard so much whinging from a group of minor celebrities who seemed to be so far up themselves it was unbelievable – And that was before they even crossed the border from France into Spain !!!
    I would expect better from the BBC, especially as it is my licence fee that goes towards paying for these programmes.

I wonder what other people on here think ??

Best Regards

Rob

Ryedalerambler, oldman, danvo and 4 others like this.
  7. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Completely agree! I was going to send my brother and his wife (who walked CF with us last fall) an email / link, but after seeing the first two episodes, I decided not to bother them. Bob

Greg Canning, RJS and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  8. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

I stopped at about the same time you did, Rob. At least my eyeballs got some exercise from rolling. Thanks for posting it. I've stopped watching all of these kinds of shows - they're kind of annoying and a reminder of how silly and self-inflated the culture can be.

danvo, Greg Canning and RJS like this.
  9. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    C4S and Bob -I am Pleased to hear that it isn’t just me that found this Awful :)

Best Regards

Rob

Greg Canning and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  10. keithlundy1

keithlundy1 Active Member

Hi to all you genuine Pilgrims.
    I was waiting to watch the final episode before making an entry for the forum but it seems some of you have already watched some.
    I have never been so disgusted by the BBC. What they have done has nothing to do with the Camino whether it be religious or spiritual meaning, it all about viewing numbers. They have put together the most unsuitable walking companions you could find so it would sensationalise confrontations and increase viewing numbers.
    They are cynical, rude, aggressive and so foul opinionated people who have hardly anything good to say about the Camino, it's history, it's culture and the Pilgrims walking it and worst of all is bad mouthing the Spanish who help and support the Pilgrims on their way.
    Amid this bunch of misfits is a very timid widow Debbie McGee who is also one of the oldest walkers in the group who I feel stands back and avoids confrontations whenever they start, this will probably come to a head in the last episode.
    I for one am very proud to be recognised as a Pilgrim and a Christian and someone since I first walked the Camino in 2015 tried to be a better human being. I walked it again last year and I'm now planning to do it again in 2019 and it's so rewarding to share my experiences with other and future Pilgrims and offer help and support where I can, but that is something these 6 celebrities wouldn't understand and would only mock. Being part of the family of millions who has walked the Camino is something very special and there is a saying of which we all have heard, believed and followed, you walk the "Your Way", why, because we all believe for whatever reason we are walking it it's our reason and we honour those that do.
    Don't be disappointed that you haven't watched it, the true Pilgrim will only feel the frustration and disappointment I have felt.
    I will be watching the final episode and post again and give you my closing thoughts but it's doubtful the BBC are going to change things viewing ratings are too important.
    Until the next time, Buen Camino and safe journey to everyone. Keith (Norfolk, England)

11. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Well I couldn't agree more with the comments above. It was difficult to decide who was more annoying and there were at least two of the "pilgrims" who seemed to be actively seeking to be offended. It was definitely "pilgrimage on their terms" with little or indeed no effort to examine the culture or history of the Camino. This was most definitely a fluff piece of entertainment TV and not in any way an attempt to show and understand the Camino. The incidents at Irache and the Ermita de San Nicolas were distasteful to say the least.

If you want an altogether more uplifting view of the Camino can I suggest the documentary "Six Ways to Santiago" which shows the Camino and pilgrims in a far more humane light. And for a much better effort by the BBC on pilgrimage, Simon Reeve's Pilgrimage (I think episode 2 covers the Camino de Santiago) at least demonstrates a real interest in what pilgrimage means to different people.

But then maybe we are being a bit harsh. After all it is their loss that they missed out on the truly wonderful part of the Camino, meeting others and yourself.

Buen Camino

Greg

12. fluffkitten

fluffkitten Member

Soon as I saw "celebrities" were involved I decided to give this a miss. Sometimes it seems that the BBC wants to be Channel 5. :(

13. keithlundy1

keithlundy1 Active Member

Thanks for your replies Pilgrims, it's warming to hear I'm not alone in my thoughts.
    I watched the final episode last night and I wasn't disappointed by the BBC and the bunch of misfits. Even when they reached Santiago they continued to be offensive with their comments and 3 of them refused to enter the Cathedral and rather than just say I don't feel comfortable or something on those terms they just had to belittle what completing the Camino means to millions of people who have really struggled walking the whole Camino. These so called celebrities only travelled 15 days from start to finish using coaches and cars and on one day horseback, what would they know about the Pilgrims with real disabilities who brave the 850kms regardless.
    I'm glad it's finished as I found it quite offensive and the celebrities doling it just as much.
    Buen Camino Friends. Keith

danvo and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  14. dalebob

dalebob Member

Dear all
    I 'm beginning to think I might of watched a completely different TV programme to most of the posts here about this series ? To validate to any new contributor's concern about my limited experience about such matters I have completed 4 Camino's since 2013 (Frances once, Portuguese twice and Ingles once).
    I don't post much of late as I'm still learning and trying use these experience's into my own life and maybe have some effect on others ? And if I do contribute I concentrate on encouraging anyone of any faith or non-faith or belief to undertake this incredible life journey. With this I usually concentrate on the many practical matters, to the journey and the most important reason that I continue to be involved.
    How ever I have to disagree with much of the content posted here about this TV entertainment programme and have to say much of it is very in-Pilgrim like so far in it's judgemental sentiment and the offensive statements about these individuals within the walkers that, poster's neither know or want to try to understand . I assume because they are contrary to some posters individual experience's who have walked " There Way " that the content has challenged there beliefs and the presentation has annoyed them ? I'm personally saddened with the use of name calling people of the walkers as "bunch of misfits , timid widows and foul " !
    The series was said to be unscripted by the producers and yes many of those participating had little preparation and understanding of the human task they shared of the challenges to there then lives ? Doesn't the Camino make you face that ?
    However what was disclosed was racial and gender discrimination even within the Church ! Childhood rejection by parents and personal loss and grief and life changing injury and PTSD whilst serving our country at war, false life imprisonment for a serious crime that was overturned.
    You can only walk for yourself and your own reasons, less judgement and more tolerance can only benefit us all for the future. If this is "The Way" the more that walk the more will benefit ?
    Let's not go back to those silly debates about "call yourself a real Pilgrim" ? (Use the search it's all been done before !) Look ?
    dalebob

15. Greg Canning

Hi Dalebob

I don't think many would disagree with your sentiments but I do think that anyone who is setting out on Camino could be expected to at least have some small idea of what it is about. For example the constant carping about having to walk from one of the pilgrims was a little hard to take, the behaviour at Irache was poor to say the least and I would say that of any person whether on Camino or not. My biggest gripe was the approach to others on Camino and in particular making a joke of the man giving away the walking sticks. It was obvious he put his heart into making them and his act of giving was so important to him.

I do feel that Jamie was probably one of the most inspiring participants and an incredible individual who appears to bear no malice or anger as to what happened to him. But some of the other were irksome to say the least.

As someone who is walking the Camino in sections I am in no place to criticise the logisitical approach and I really don't have any views as to how anyone undertakes their Camino but everyone on Camino is entitled to respect and in certain parts the BBC group failed miserably in that regard.

Just my opinion that's all

Buen Camino

Greg

UnkleHammy likes this.
  16. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Greg, completely agree with you. At least one of the group wasn't even aware that the pilgrimage entails walking! The lady minister complained non stop about daily hiking. And their attitudes were mostly negative regarding the albergues where they stayed. The group was completely uniformed and ill prepared to walk the camino. My wife and I have now walked 2 camino frances from St Jean to Santiago and never experienced a group like we saw on the BBC series that griped and whined the entire way. We watched the last episode last night. About the only positive portion we saw was the smiles on their faces to receive their compostelas and the sense of wonder seeing the butifumero swing in the cathedral (for those that went inside). By the way, if you want to see a positive, inspiring example of pilgrimage, you should watch "Just Push Me". Bob

Greg Canning likes this.
  17. Greg Canning

Thanks Bob, will definitely look it up.

Signing off for now as we start our travels tomorrow. Will send updates as we can.

Buen Camino All

hindsfeet and UnkleHammy like this.
  18. Ryedalerambler

Ryedalerambler Active Member

I think the lady priest was by far the most annoying, and a very poor choice as a representive of the priesthood!

hindsfeet and RJS like this.
  19. Brucepayne

Brucepayne Member

You make me want to watch it all the more!

20. Brucepayne

Brucepayne Member

I watched the first episode and liked it very much. I enjoy the fact that people have different views about the existence of Zeus and Apollo and thor. Also many videos of the Camino are about fit,slender,20 year olds,and it is refreshing to see ordinary people who can also walk this journey. Many superstitious might now share my views and that is allwright. The magic of us is that we are all different. Also,whining is what we do a large part of the time,so it is natural that these people whine about something that is so far out of their comfort zone.

dalebob likes this.
  21. BryanandJoan

BryanandJoan New Member

Whilst I agree with those who were appalled at just how bad this programme was, well below the BBC's usual high standard, I also know that it may not have been all the fault of the so called stars, but often with these things it is the person who cut it up and produced the final show who is to blame. It doesn't detract from the fact that they seem to have spent more time in buses than actually on the trail and appeared not to have prepared at all! However there appear to have been a spat of pretty lightweight programmes about pilgrimages just lately and I am sure there will be many more. I am not sure what the agenda is but I suppose it's up to the rest of us to keep the true spirit of the Camino alive through our thoughts words and deeds.
    buen Camino

22. Brucepayne

Brucepayne Member

I think they were trying to find out what spiritual beliefs are,among a range of people. I enjoyed this investigation very much,and feel that some people who objected might have taken all of this too personally.

dalebob likes this.
  23. dalebob

dalebob Member

I agree with your post . I didn't find that the expressed views or beliefs within the programmes that different to outside what I experience most days living within a city in the UK . Nor did they annoy me personally that much. I believe the Camino challenges all that walk the way, as it sometimes questions all of our beliefs and views about life ?
    My view for what ever it is worth is it keeps helping me believe that you cannot open a door without a key ! Smash it open all you have is alarm and shock and then a broken door !
    dalebob

Brucepayne likes this.
  24. Harland

Harland New Member

From someone who is just in the planning stage of walking the French Way next year and is not religious I would comment. The priest reinforced my views about religion - not looking for an argument, she was a pain. Her comment about walking up "that bastard" was not what I would expect and unnecessary. As far as Raphael Rowe is concerned it is worth reading the Wikipedia entry about the Court of Appeal hearing (that clearly may not be true) ruling of Lord Justice Mantell, Mr Justice Blofeld and Mrs Justice Rafferty. Having not walked the Camino yet I found it interesting although I would agree in part about the whinging!

25. Dinah

Dinah Member

You Tube

26. Brucepayne

Brucepayne Member

Check one of the first posts on this subject,about it being on YouTube. Good luck!

27. Armorel

Armorel Active Member

Interesting to read these views. I did not enjoy the series, nor would I recommend it to others if they were wanting to know about the Camino. But it was good to see the scenery,and the chapel in rabanal again.
    I have been trying to apply one of the lessons of my Camino- if something truly irks me, I look within to find what in me hooks it. And then I work on releasing that. This works for me!
    And I feel sad that these celebrities appear to have missed out on one of the great treasures- that of meeting and engaging with a wide range of other pilgrims. (Though perhaps the editing omitted that)
    Just my thoughts.....

Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.
  28. tpmchugh

tpmchugh New Member

Home Page:
    Well it did one good thing. A young girl and her mother stopped in Orisson the week after the last episode aired. She had been inspired by this program and on the Sunday after the last episode, she decided to walk the camino and one week later she was trekking across the Pyrenees. She was one of the pilgrims who rushed to drag me out of a swollen river when I was in danger of going under. Every cloud has a silver lining so lets not rush to criticise

29. Mark Stevens

Mark Stevens Peregrino

Home Page:
    I didn’t enjoy it and thought it was pants. Waste of good taxpayers money

BROWNCOUNTYBOB likes this.