Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Pilgrim's Discount At Paradors

Discussion in 'Albergues - Hostels' started by BROWNCOUNTYBOB, Apr 24, 2017.

1. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Paradors are historic buildings (castles, monestaries, hospitals, convents, etc) that were established in 1928. These buildings were converted into 4 and 5 star hotels. Income from the hotels are used towards upkeep of the the buildings. Paradors are located throughout Spain. The current listing is approximately 93.

There are four paradors along the Camino Frances: Santo Domingo de la Calzada, Leon, Villafranca del Bierzo, and Santiago de Compestela. My wife and I stayed in the first three during our 2015 camino and will stay in the same ones during our camino this fall. (We did not stay at the one in Santiago since it was very expensive and we had a great experience staying at San Martin Pinario).

I originally booked reservations at the three paradors using Expedia.com. I am a member of "Amigos de Paradores" and receive emails regarding periodic specials. I checked out today and found out that there is special discount for pilgrims. You need to show your credential when you check in and will receive a 15% discount. So today I cancelled the reservations on Expedia and booked a twin room with breakfast for the following rates: 119.86 euros at Santo Domingo, 140.26 euros at Leon, and 95.2 euros at Villafranca del Bierzo. Overall I saved 62.7 euros compared to the Expedia rates.

Yes, these are a bit pricey and some might argue that staying in a parador makes you less authentic compared to staying in municipal albergues. Our view was this was our camino and we deserved some privacy and pampering a few nights during our camino.

2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Let me second BCBs recommendation on San Martin Pinario. We stayed there just a couple weeks ago and it was a real treat after walking the CP. It's right next to the Parador in Santiago and directly across from the side entrance to the cathedral. A double room there cost 55€. A full continental breakfast was an additional
    6€\person. Although I can't compare it with a parador, I woukd certainly stay there again the next time I'm in Santiago. An excellent room with friendly and helpful staff! And the location- perfect!

3. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

I stayed in the SMP in a Pilgrims room for €23 which included breakfast (same as the other hotel guests) . They were simply furnished single rooms with showers. and you had the use of all the other hotel facilities. It was excellent value for money. Its both hotel & Hospedería for pilgrims.
    I stayed there when I was returning home from working as a Hospitalero at the CSJ Gaucelmo Refugio in Rabanal.

Carpe Diem

Raymond John

4. El Condor 2014

El Condor 2014 Active Member Donating Member

When someone explains to me what a TRUE AUTHENTIC pilgrim is , then I would be able to make a judgment, meantime, I believe everyone walks their own Camino for their own reasons and their own way !

5. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Condor - Good point! I remember last summer reading a post by an individual who was annoyed that bicyclists took beds away from "real" pilgrims. I believe that it's beyond my my pay grade to judge someone's "authenticity" as a pilgrim or know what's in their heart. I am happy to say that I haven't met anyone along The Way who cared where someone else was staying. It's just not important! As it's been pointed out numerous times on this Forum, there is no "right" way to walk the Camino. There are so many "right" ways to experience the Camino just as there is an uncountable number of "authentic" pilgrims walking for their own unique reasons. That's one reason why the Camino is so special. Buen Camino to all!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  6. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Like Raymond, I got a room on the 4th floor of San Martin Pinario for 23 Euro last year by emailing them specifically for a pilgrim room. They give you what was formerly a monks' cell. The rooms are spartan and a bit crumbly, but perfectly adequate and mine had a view over the terra cotta roof tiles to the Cathedral towers. San Martin Pinario view.jpg Breakfasts there are lively and meals are served in two huge stone halls.

7. oldman

oldman Oldman Donating Member

One who walks away from his home and upon reaching the final destination turns around and walks back home again.
    I think on 3 occasions I met trough Pilgrims ( accepting that what they told me that they were returning home on foot ) all of them had animals ( 1 man + 2 dogs- Poland ) ( 1man, 1 woman + 1 donkey - Germany )
    the one I really admired was, ( 1 Man ,1 Woman 3Chrildran +2 Horses- Romania ).
    I have met other people who were walking back from Santiago but they were not walking home.

8. raymond john

Condor
    You hit the nail on the head when you said ." I believe everyone walks their own Camino for their own reasons and their own way ". Its whats in their heart and soul that matters. Pilgrims always look forward to their future with faith,hope and courage, because their destiny is always a head of them and never behind them.

Carpe Diem and Ultreya

Raymond John

9. raymond john

Crepes4suzette
    Thanks for the happy memories

Buen Camino

10. El Condor 2014

A little confused by your writing ! (Statement )
    As it would be really hard for me to walk from home to Santiago and then walk back home, as I live in Australia.
    Same would apply for everyone living in the Americas and Asia.
    Also, in the old times some pilgrims came by sea ( Hence the Camino Ingles )

Sorry , I am NOT trying to be sarcastic

I am saying this with a smile on my face !

Buen Camino

Jose

11. El Condor 2014

Great decision ! My wife and I stayed at the Parador de Leon during our 1st Camino back in 2014. She is still talking about it .
    I always stay at San Martin Pinario in Santiago, excellent location, beautiful building, staff are very helpful ,clean and well maintain , breakfast is good and plentiful , and the price is reasonable for what you get .

Buen Camino

12. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

C4S....now that would be most coveted by me!! A monk's cell. Crumbles and all. Wow, if
    those walls could talk! I want to look for a few 'out of the way' places to sleep if I can sometimes.

13. oldman

I like your smile , my tongue was firmly in cheek when I quoted the description which I remembered reading here in the past . I did really admire the people I met returning home on foot.
    For me the answer is you are a pilgrim in your own Head, Heart and Sole. no one else,es opinion matters .

Remind me but would there have been Christians going from the places you mentioned when all this Pilgrim
    idea started ? and if so they would surely have gone by boat to the nearest land mass and started from there ? or maybe all they like the four Irishmen below.

Have a look at this article and video and answer the question, are they Pilgrims or What ?

Doing the Camino in a Kerry currach - The Irish Times

Camino na Sáile (Camino By Sea) preview

14. El Condor 2014

Doing the Camino in a Kerry currach - The Irish Times
    This Definitely made me SMILE, @oldman , when my son and I finished the Camino last year (2015) we saw a small row boat being carried around the cathedral and we were wondering what was going on. After further investigation we found out what all the fuss was about ! Yes they were the 4 Irish man that had done their pilgrimage by boat , W 20160626_113822.jpg IMG-20160626-WA0001.jpg e attended the mass with them , What a treat !

15. oldman

You were lucky to be there,the envy of most of Ireland ,what a memory to have, amongst all of the many others from your Camino.

16. Crepes4Suzette

I was just happy that I didn't have to share it with an old monk;)

17. Crepes4Suzette

Maybe someone who knows about San Anton before Castrojeriz can tell hindsfeet about it. It is always described as kind of magical.

hindsfeet likes this.
  18. hindsfeet

Tell me the story!! I want to know...(smile)

19. Crepes4Suzette

I haven't stayed there, hindsfeet, but to stay there is evidently really a good experience. No electricity, a communal dinner by candlelight, overnight in a building that is mostly a ruin with the beds under a shelter of some sort. No hot water either. Just quiet and stars and food and others. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...eriz_Province_of_Burgos_Castile_and_Leon.html

20. hindsfeet

Crepesy....thank you !! I would have never known about this place. Twelve beds...one will be
    for me! quiet ,stars, food, lots of food, and others...does one need anything else? I love it!!

21. oldman

Hi Hindsfeet. I have passed San Anton twice and it was not open , it was early in the morning, having stayed in Hontanas, good to hear again, that it is open, if that is the way your thinking , then add 2 to your list.
    Arroyo San Bol, Half way between Hornillos and Hontanas ( 5Km ).
    Ermita de San Nicolas after CastroJeriz ( 9 Km )
    Both well wort a visit if not an overnight.

Buen Camino

22. hindsfeet

Hi oldman, (don't really like calling you that!) :)..Thank you so much, I will certainly
    add that to my 'must do' list! Can hardly wait to explore!

23. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Active Member

I am with you on this "authenticity" issue...if you are there then you are "fer real"

24. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

I checked with the paradors website to find out whether they offer a pilgrim's meal and if so, what is the cost per pilgrim. They do. Of the 4 paradors along camino frances, Santo Domingo de la Calzada and Leon offer pilgrim's meal for 18 euros. Villafranca del Bierzo and Santiago de Compestela have offer pilgrim's meal for 15 euros.

Has anyone experienced a pilgrim's meal at any of the paradors and if so, was this "deluxe" or comparable to a pilgrim's meal at restaurants?

Bob

UnkleHammy likes this.
  25. James Orrock

James Orrock Member

Hey there, fellow pilgrims. Many thanks for the heads up regarding San Martin Pinario in SdC. If I am able to stay in an old monk's cell I will be sure to ask for extra thick earplugs. Most old monks snore like a chainsaw!

hindsfeet and Wily like this.