1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pilgrims passport

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by tony graham, Apr 27, 2009.

1. tony graham

tony graham New Member

:) I am starting my journey on 23rd July 09 from St.Jean can anyone tell me are Pilgrims passports available there and how much do they cost? thanks in anticipation,Tony.

2. Covey

Covey Active Member

You can obtain the Pilgrim Passport from the Pilgrim Office on St Jean. The address and contact details are:

Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port

There is a list of the albergue's in St Jean.

When you get off the train, walk up the hill to the office and get your passport (usually ?5) and then check in to an albergue. Then go shopping for food items for the next day, have a good nights sleep, and at dawn the next morning set off on your adventure of a lifetime!

3. tony graham

tony graham New Member

Passport question

:)THANKYOU for the information,I just need to decide on the least kit as possible to take along with me, this forum is an absolute Godsend for ideas and information,so thankyou all, Tony.

4. Covey

Covey Active Member

The best way to pack your kit is to lay everything you want to take on your bed, pack 50% in your rucksack and leave the rest behind!!

You really do not need much apart from a change of clothes, a waterproof/poncho and bits like a mobile charger, shaving kit and a pair of flip flops. A floppy hat is essential and sunglasses optional. Anything else you find you need you can buy along the trail.

You pass shops each day and they are very adept at providing things pilgrims need!

5. Darren from Dartmouth

Darren from Dartmouth New Member

passports

hi,

I contacted the Canadian Pilgrimage Company and they offer their own pilgrim passports that they say are recognized along the camino. Then I would not need to get one in St Jean? Only get mine stamped?

6. Judy vd Meulen

Judy vd Meulen New Member

passports

For Darren from Dartmouth re: Canadian passports:

Yes, our group received Canadian "passports" from the Canadian Pilgrimage office and all we did was get it stamped in the St. Jean office. Buen camino... love living the Camino experience again through the forums.

7. Covey

Covey Active Member

If you arrive at St Jean with a Pilgrim Passport issued elsewhere, always have it stamped at the Pilgrim Office. You could just have it stamped at the albergue which is OK, but you would miss the weather briefing which the Office gives all pilgrims who visit it.

In July -Sept missing the weather briefing does not really matter, but in May you need to know what the weather is going to be doing "on the top" on the way to Roncesvalles.

The weather can change from sunny to thick cloud and sub zero temperatures in 30 minutes on the peaks in May, and most pilgrims are not equipped for sub zero temperatures. Pilgrims have died after being caught in extreme weather on the top and a couple of years ago a Brit froze to death after ignoring the advice from the Pilgrim Office to take the lower road route.

8. minnielizzie

minnielizzie Guest

Pilgrims Passport Question

hi, I'm planning on going to the camino de santiago in about two weeks. I have not ordered a pilgrims passport yet and I'm wondering if you have any idea if it's possible just to get one at St. Jean Pied-de-Port?

9. Darren from Dartmouth

Darren from Dartmouth New Member

Hello,

My understanding is that you can pick up Pilgrims' passports in St Jean and in most towns along the way. I'm unsure what the cost is, I bought one through the Canadian Company of Pilgrims for about $10. You will be a few weeks ahead of me so let me wish you well on your journey.

Darren

10. Tamara

Tamara New Member

HELLO Everybody! I have just joined this Forum. I live close to Alicante, and last week discovered I could get the passports in Alicante itself, from the AsociaciĆ³n de Amigos del Camino de Santiago, and they cost just 2 euros! I have managed to buy them for family members and friends, since they gave me their registration details as required. Great!

11. Tanya Yaksich

Tanya Yaksich New Member

Hello Big Sister.
    About time you joined this forum!! I saw the name Tamara and had to check. I arrive ar 09.55 in Madrid, don't forget to me me.
    Love your little Sister Tanya

12. Tamara

Tamara New Member

Hello Li'l Sis! I am doing lots of walking. Did a lovely one y'day. Went right round the Cabo de Huertas here in Alicante. Beautiful. You'll love it, and it will be a great little trek when you come and 'decelerate' after our Camino. It's rocky paths, lovely flora, with idyllic views into small bays, so we take our swimwear! Love you...

13. Tanya Yaksich

Tanya Yaksich New Member

Hi Tam,
    Oops forgot about bathers. Read Huskynerds post dated 10.06.10 under Info about Sarria. Click on His godesalco email. It has a fantastic planner for the camino. Love Milo

14. Khal

Khal New Member

Hi guys I was wondering since I will be stopping in Madrid before leaving for Sarria, is it possible to get a passport in Madrid? If so where and is it possible on a Sunday? Thanks again!

15. Covey

Covey Active Member

If anywhere in Madrid, try the Cathedral.

16. DianeTX

DianeTX Guest

Tony, I registered for mine online and will have mine before I get there (August 23, leave TX August 22). Here's the link if you think the pilgrim passport online can get to you on time:

American Pilgrims on the Camino Go to Request a credential, then fill out the form. I, also, made a donation.