1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pillow Slip Or Other

Discussion in 'What equipment should you use and take' started by freetobe, Sep 3, 2017.

1. freetobe

freetobe Member

I am doing my trial pack now. Listed (obviously tips picked up along the way and reading) on my packing list I have pillow slip or similar (e.g. sarong/scarf). My Q is: how necessary is a pillow slip, would wrapping a scarf or sarong around pillow suffice.
    Someone is a post way back suggested a sarong to put on after the shower because easier to change by bed than in shower??? Hence thought sarong might double as pillow slip.
    Any thoughts appreciated.

2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Freetobe - You'll find that some of the shower spaces are a bit small. Many will have a small space between the shower curtain and the door for you to have your clothes and valuables. Although the shower may not be overly large, you'll have plenty of room to dry off and change in the shower stall. My recollection was that folks were dressed after showering and not needing to change in their bed. I don't believe you'll find this much of an issue.

As for a pillow slip, some albergues will provide them along with a mattress cover, but you can't really count on that. Keep in mind that a lot of previous pilgrims will have used the same pillows you'll be sleeping with. Since your sarong can be multipurpose, that might be the way you want to go. Buen Camino.

3. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I can’t recall having any major issues getting dried / changed after showering on any on my Caminos, but I can see the benefit of taking a sarong as they are multifunctional and can be used for a combination bottom sheet and pillow-slip (For when the disposable mattress covers and pillow-slip’s aren’t provided) – Or Towel if yours is wet, or to wear, say on washing day when nearly everything else you own in drying – They weigh next to nothing, so I can see the benefit of taking one :)

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

hindsfeet and Greg Canning like this.
  4. freetobe

freetobe Member

Thanks for this info on shower stall size. Very helpful.
    By the way - my pack fully laden comes to 5.8kg - I am stoked I managed to get it this light. Water to come but I am carrying that in a pouch attached to my pack belt so you can't really feel the weight.
    Onwards and upwards!

Greg Canning and Wily like this.
  5. freetobe

freetobe Member

And even more uses for a sarong which I never thought of. Thanks Rob - you are a minefield.

Greg Canning and RJS like this.
  6. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Freetobe - Just like traveling anywhere, you'll find a lot of variation. At times, it may not be perfect, but it is ususlly quite manageable. No worries!

Great weight in your pack! 5.8 kg rocks! You will greatly appreciate the light pack. Not noly will it be light, but the wear and tear on rest of your body will be reduced. One of the tougher things about the CF is the cumulative effect of walking day after day. There will certainly be some tougher days than others, but the overall fatigue factor needs to be remembered. So, two pieces of advice. One, to walk far, carry less. And two, listen to your body and what it's telling you. Do plan rest days along the Camino. Spunds like you're getting everything in order. Buen Camino!

7. freetobe

freetobe Member

As always Wiley, thanks for taking the time out to comment. Yep - I reckon I am pretty much organised so now I leave it in the lap of the Gods!

Wily likes this.
  8. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

For what it is worth, pillow slips are a different size in Europe compared to the USA, I don't know about Tasmania sizes.

9. Kinnear

Kinnear New Member

Hi there
    One week tomorrow before I fly to Paris from Wellington. SjPdP 22 and 23 September at Belari, Orisson 23 and hopefully Roncevalles 24th... Ver excited...rehashing my packing list again this week... and I do have a sarong as a towel etc. Buen Camino... I'm taking it slow...we may meet on the Way.

10. Parksville

Parksville Member

Home Page:
    My husband and I both brought zip-up pillow slips on our recent Camino Frances (Najera to Finisterre). We conisdered this a luxury items but LOVED having it. Soft, comfortable, clean, non-slip and it gave us much peace of mind. Size was not a problem for us as we just shoved extra long pillows into the pillow slip, zipped it up and that worked well. I would definitely take this item again!

Wily and UnkleHammy like this.