1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning A Retirement Adventure In September 2019.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bruce O, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Bruce O

Bruce O New Member

Greetings one and all. I am in the initial stages of joining the retired and planning an adventure to celebrate. After research and soul search, I have opted to walk the El Camino Frances for September 2019. I will be looking to all of you...my new friends...to help in the planning and execution of this trip. I will be walking the entire Camino alone except when each of my kids join me for one week at a time. The hope is for a shared adventure with each with enough alone time to contemplate.

Thank you all in advance for your sage advice and wisdom.

2. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Sounds as though you are planning a great adventure. I was unable to get my kids to come along with me but if I can return I would like to.

3. Bruce O

Bruce O New Member

Thank you UnkleHammy.

Is it easy to make friends on the Camino? I'm a bit of a grumpy guy.....not awful...just a bit solitary.

4. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

I have problems with meeting new people and always have. Mostly it is because I am somewhat introverted. In general those around me on the Camino were far more extroverted and we got along quite well. I wrote about this in my post "Why I Quit" in the "General Chat" section.

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  5. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi Bruce and welcome to the Forum

As Unklehammy said, a great adventure awaits you. The thrill of crossing the Pyrenees from France into Spain is one of the greatest experiences I have ever had and there are other wonderful experiences awaiting along the Camino. You will meet people from all over the world with as many reasons for undertaking the Camino as you can imagine. You will visit beautiful and historic places and enjoy moving breathtaking experiences of a physical, emotional and spiritual nature. Most of all you will get the opportunity to take time out to contemplate.

Have fun planning and don't forget to ask lots of questions (this is one of the friendliest non-judgemental forums on the subject of the Camino).

Buen Camino

Greg

6. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Bruce and welcome to the forum

I am sure that you will have a wonderful time, both with planning your Camino and then actually walking the route :)

Just one piece of initial advice and that is to leave the “Grumpy Guy” in your home country – Nearly all the people you meet on Camino are Happy People, so I am sure that with a little bit of good will, you could join in with them and the happiness would rub off :)

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

7. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Bruce, I retired at the end of 2014. My wife and I walked camino frances from SJPDP to Santiago. We began our camino in mid-Sept and arrived in Santiago on Oct 31. This was a nice transition from working full time for 34 years and raising our family. Since we were walking together, we pretty much kept to ourselves, but we did meet many nice pilgrims along the way. The nice thing about the camino is you can easily talk with a "new face" as you walk together. You might see that same pilgrim day after day, or never see this person again. We had such a positive experience, we walked the full camino frances again last fall (2017) with my brother and his wife. We're already planning for our third camino frances to begin Sept 2019. By the way, what a nice way to share your camino experience with your children. Buen Camino ! Bob

8. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander Well-Known Member

I too walked with my wife, but found that we met so many people along the way. I am not the really social one, but when you have so many people heading towards the same goal, the natural question is...why? And there as many answers as their are people. You will enjoy that part of the journey.

9. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Bruce, I'm fairly solitary as well, and had both very solitary days and days when ran across people who were a real pleasure to walk and talk with. People often sort themselves out by language and age. I didn't fall in with a "camino family" on the first two Caminos (and went with my sister on the third, which made the whole social aspect of Caminos easier) partly because I took a side-trip, stayed in some pensions instead of the albergues, and did a bus-ahead at one point, but there are kind people everywhere on Camino and I had the chance to have some delightful and very funny conversations with others - some that I never saw again - who added a lot to the experience. Just send out accurate messages about whether you want to engage or whether you just want to be left alone at a particular time, and people will usually read your cues well.