1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Questions For El Camino - "via De La Plata"

Discussion in 'Camino Via de la Plata - The Silver Route' started by Dominick, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Dominick

Dominick New Member

Hola,
    My name is Dominick, and I am from the US. I planning to walk the El Camino - via de la Plata in September/October of 2018. As I am doing my research, I have not noticed as much information about "de la plata" as there is - for example about El Camino Frances or some other Caminos. I would like to reach out and start conversing with people who are also planning to walk this route as well as Peregrinos who have already walked this way. I look forward to hearing from all of you, and maybe our paths will cross.

Gracias,
    Dominick

UnkleHammy likes this.
  2. MichaelSG

MichaelSG Active Member

danvo likes this.
  3. Dominick

Dominick New Member

Hi Michael,
    Thanks for the information. I will look into the websites you suggested. Which Caminos have you walked so far? The more I look into this Journey, the more excited I get. One of the reasons I am strongly considering Via De La Plata is because I enjoy walking long distances.
    Have a great day,
    Dominick

4. MichaelSG

MichaelSG Active Member

I am about to walk the Chemin d'Arles. Others I have walked are in 2017 Camino del Norte / Primitivo; 2016 Via Francigena; 2015 Camino Ignaciano; 2014 Caminho Portugues; 2012 Camino Frances.

5. rayaqui

rayaqui New Member

Hi Dominick,
    I intend to walk the VDLP next September /October 2018. I have been reading the Gerald Kelly book about the VDLP and the Sanabres. Many have mentioned this book. I recently bought a backdated Ciceron series book by Alison Rajou which although backdated is very interesting. The latest version is sold out and a new updated version is due Jan 2019.
    I also purchased a very informative Kindle version of a camino route report by Brein Crothers ...33 days - 1006kms Camino to Santiago which gives a day to day report of the camino including the Sanabres.
    I am very excited about this route as this is quite different from the Frances which for me looked quite touristique and crowded. I am looking for a more quite experience. Moreover this route hits a number of important cities which were also important in Roman times. I am sure this will be an exciting experience.
    Also considering staring from Cadiz and walk to Astorga ..on the French route. This will be an opportunity to revisit this beatiful city.
    I am planning to return and complete the Sanabres early 2019.
    Will look forward to communicate with you during the preparation. ...could be we might see eachother on the way.
    Buen Camino,
    Ray (Malta)

6. Ted

Ted Ted Trekking

B3ED3E0F-60F5-478E-A540-357984BEAB90.jpeg
    Guide Book

DAD0E074-A027-4877-81DD-F61275A8DB33.png
    Cell Phone App

Hi Dominick,

It’s great that you are checking the different web sites for information about the Via de la Plata. This is the guide that I used when I trek the Plata in September, but it is fairly basic and along with the cell phone app will be good to have.

Just remember that even though it’s September it will be very hot until into October. You will have a great experience and will love it!

Ted

7. Dominick

Dominick New Member

Hi Ray,
    Great to hear from you. I enjoyed reading your message and it sounds like we got some commonalities. I to do not enjoy touristy places a prefer to stay away. That being said, I am thinking about doing the last portion of the walk via El Camino Frances (starting in Astorga). Coincidently, just yesterday I purchased Gerald Kelly's - Via De La Plata guide book from Amazon. You sound interested in some of the historical aspects of this route; I am also looking forward to the historical aspect of this entire experience. I noticed you are from Malta, another country with much history. I was there a few years ago and loved it.
    Yes, lets keep in-touch, and would look forward to our paths crossing.
    Dominick

8. Dominick

Dominick New Member

Hi Ted,
    How are you doing? I hope all is going well.
    I recently purchased and received a Via De La Plata route Guide, that is actually from 2018. Soon I will go through it in detail (and then have more questions - lol). I also plan on getting the app you and some others have suggested. What are your thoughts on when I should get my Pilgrim Credentials (Passport); while in the States or when I get to Spain? Also, is using the ATM in Spain - the same/similar to the way we use an ATM in the States - except you get Euros?
    Have a great day,
    Dominick

UnkleHammy likes this.
  9. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

It is convenient to get your passport before you get to Europe. The one I got bad to be requested less than 30 days before leaving.

10. Dominick

Dominick New Member

Hola Unkle-Hammy, Hope you are doing well. That is what I will probably do - get my Credentials while in the States. Which Caminos have you walked? Are you from CA? Do any hiking on the PCT? That is also on my list of things I would like to do.
    Have a great day,
    Dominick

11. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

I have made two unsuccessful attempts at the C.F. there us an explanation of what happened in "General chat" in the 3rd page under "Why I Quit". The first time I got badly dehydrated going through the forest into Roncahveles.

I live about a 1 or 2 hour drive from the PCT and have hiked portions of it. Until about 10 years ago I worked with a volunteer group that did maintenance on the trail. I stopped when my wife got cancer and I never started again when that problem was successfully solved.

Yes Fresno is in California and I have been here for over 20 years now. Previously I was in Silicon Valley.

12. Martin (Ozzy) Osborne

Martin (Ozzy) Osborne Member

I was stationed at Rota Spain in the Navy. Just across the water from Cadiz.

Dominick likes this.
  13. El Condor 2014

El Condor 2014 Well-Known Member Donating Member

If you are doing a Camino ( especially camino via de la plata ) I would like to bring to your attention the following

Danger Zone.
    If you decide to walk on the shallow water , be AWARE , there is a very thin film of algae on the cement path and is Very VERY slippery.
    I saw 2 pilgrims with head injuries and one with damaged shoulder. Because they slipped while crossing one of the many crossings like this one.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  14. Dominick

Dominick New Member

Hi El Condor,
    I hope all is going well.
    Thanks for the information, and I will take heed to your recommendation.
    Have you recently walked the VDLP route?
    I am still planning to start my journey in September, and very much looking forward to it.
    Take Care,
    Dominick

15. Dominick

Dominick New Member

Hi Ray,
    How are things going? I hope all is well.
    Are you still planning on walking the VDLP in September?
    I am still planning to start in September, and getting more excited as that time approaches. I am still not sure of my exact start date, but it will probably be sometime during the week of the 16th.
    Keep in touch,
    Dominick

16. Dominick

Dominick New Member

Hi Martin,
    How are things going? I hope all is well.
    Are you still planning to walk the VDLP in September / October?
    My plans are still a go. I will be starting from Seville on the week of September 16th. I also am very much looking forward to this journey.

Keep in touch y Bene Fortuna,
    Dominick