Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Plans for improvements on the forum

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by Leslie, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Hi,

I will be making some changes on the forum during the next while and I am looking for feedback.

These are some things I am looking at:

adding Google search instead of the current search which is not very good. This will open in a new tab and search the whole site not just the forum.

change header - we have had this header from the start and it aches from my lack of artistic skills - so was thinking of a map of Camino Frances there.

thinking about adding a calender for everyone to add their start date and route - would this be useful? (I am unsure how technically challenging this will be for me)

Is there something you would like to see on the site?

We had a blog, article function before but it was just a bit hit with spammers and caused a lot of work without being used much - is there any demand for this? In addition if you would like to blog regularly or just add an article now and then you can do so on the "main" part of the site. Contact the Camino de Santiago - Write for Us

Thank you for any feedback
    Leslie

2. heyjude

heyjude Member

Hi, Leslie:

A Camino Calendar would be a great idea.

Thank you for all the work you've done administering this site. The Forum has been a huge help in preparing for my first Camino. Six weeks to go - the countdown has begun. I lurk around here every day to be amongst like-minded souls.

Judy

3. nathan

nathan New Member

a calander would be great.....may i once again thank you for running this excellant space. Good works come in so many shapes and sizes

4. Lipka149

Lipka149 Active Member

Hi Leslie -

Yes, as a matter of fact, there is/are !

First however, allow me to add to all the other accolades and thank you for the wonderful job you do of administering this site. I think you are a terrific example of what the Camino is all about, that being a transformational experience that carries over into the "real world" in a significant way. Your daily commitment to monitoring, contributing, and improving this website is a true witness. Carry on, carry on ...

:rolleyes:

Now ... concerning the Search function ...

I never use it. What would it do for me if I wanted to use it ? One of the pet peeves I have about any site is the lack of instruction. Some type of text that explains the benefit of the Search function would be nice. EX. "If you are looking for a particular piece of information, such as equipment reviews, travel advice, or a post by a particular member, type in your request in this field and click SEARCH." This may seem too rudimentary, but easy navigation and user friendliness sure would help ME !

Expanding on this, you could make the subjects in the examples hyperlinks that would automatically take me to them. Also, a "Click here for more detailed instructions" button would be great for bringing up a separate window explaining how to use the Search function in more depth.

... concerning graphics ...

A rotating map (changing every 10 seconds, perhaps ?) depicting each of the various Caminos as a header for the home page would be beautiful. Making it interactive so that we could see the progress of Forum pereginos as they post their progress would be a nice touch. :eek:

A window "collage" showing posted album pictures would be a good way to personalize the site.

... concerning calendars ...

Great idea ! Link it to the progress map described above and we could get a perfect visual of where everyone is ! :D

... concerning user friendliness ...

1) Disable all key functions when the cursor is in the "Preview Post" field. I have unintentionally deleted many well thought out posts by inadvertently trying to edit them in the Preview field rather than the "Your Message" field. ARGHHH !!!
    2) Allow users to edit their posts any time after a Reply is submitted.
    3) Dedicate more space to the New Posts sidebar. A "More >>>" hyperlink would allow me to see if I missed any new posts if I have not checked in lately.
    4) Create a "Saved Messages" folder for personal messaging. Or at least give instructions on how to archive them.
    5) Allow pictures in Albums to be posted so they show up in the order the poster wants them. Mine show up randomly, rather than chronologically or numerically (by title).

... and finally ...

Send an e-mail to me whenever a "Friend" posts something. I may not be subscribed to a link they are posting in, but I might be interested in what they are saying. (This could also encourage people to use the "Friend" function more regularly.)

Enough for now ! :p

All the best -

5. Roe

Roe Member

Like everyone else, thank you, thank you, thank you. You're just awesome because you do what you do for all of us. A calendar would be great! I am not a techie - not sure of how much work this would mean for you. But connecting with others has to be the main game. That's what it's all about.

6. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Ah Alan, I am laughing, but I asked and I like most of your suggestions. One problem I always have is time - I have a business that kinda needs me now and again, dito with my family, (maybe they should have been first in that statement... - oh and currently I am moving house and going to another country for the next 4 months - but I still love my life)

Now this year I am able to take some time off all May and during that time I expect to do most of the updates. Yes, the calender, yes the header - don't know about the rotation, but would like different one for each route, the photo albums also bug me - we have a few but no easy way to access them. I am adding Google search function to the top and will explain that in a post - the search function is much better than the current.

The rest I will look at apart from being able to edit posts. This creates a problem for me due to spam and it is impossible to give the function to one and not all. What can happen is that someone would create a post and then a week or two later add links to it to place where I want not like this site to link to - this is an ongoing issue for all websites.

I will come back to you - and thanks for taking the time to be so detailed - it really does help as I don't see the site from the same perceptive as others.

Lolaisqueen likes this.
  7. Lipka149

Lipka149 Active Member

:D :D :D

I figured you would get a good chuckle ... you mean you don't have a magic wand that can just make it happen ???

Thanks for explaining the reasons behind the status quo. I understand your reasoning and agree with the way of overcoming the problems you described.

In all honesty, if all you did was make it impossible for me to delete my replies when I try to edit them in the Preview field, that would remove a huge source of frustration for this user. :eek:

All the best to you and your family !

8. Dobby the house elf

Dobby the house elf New Member

Hi
    As if you haven't got enough on your plate, how about:

Some sort of badge or logo that could be downloaded so that pilgrims who use the forum could print and maybe laminate to hang on their packs. A sort of club membership card. As I walked last year I often wondered if certain fellow pilgrims had been on the forum and when I got home and looked back I realized that I had met some without knowing it at the time.
    It would be an easy way for the shy members to introduce themselves to others as well as indicating that we follow the best Camino forum.
    Anyway, thanks for all the work you do. Without the encouragement and information on this site many people would not have attempted the journey in the first place.

9. heyjude

heyjude Member

This is a great idea. I'm sure there will be other forum members walking when I'm there. I'd love to say hello, but don't want to ask every pilgrim, "Are you from the forum?"

Judy

10. Lipka149

Lipka149 Active Member

Leslie ... is there a way to enable online members to write to each other when they are on line ? Something like a chat function ? That would be nice ...

11. TravelingWilburns

TravelingWilburns New Member

I also wish to add my Thank You for all your efforts ! This Forum is my new favorite thing. Please pass on my gratitude and appreciation to your family ( and your business ) for sharing you with us. As for suggestions, etc... I am currently having trouble connecting to the links people have posted. I just get a blank screen. Is it just me ?And I love the calander. I am alway so curious who is actually walking now and if they are blogging and such as the go. Again I say Thank you and look forward to spending time here until and after my husband walk SJPP to Santiago ( Finisterre ) in May 2013.From Alaska :)

12. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    @alan - the problem with the chat is that it kinda loses the forum feel of sharing - PM's are as good as that is going to get I'm afraid.
    oh and the auto save works now so you should not lose any more posts - hopefully.

I am still working on some other stuff, but time as usual is an issue.

@TW the links are all programmed to open in a new tab. This works fine if you are using an up to date version of Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox, and Chrome. However on mobile devices it can cause issues. Most people are using IE - I suggest that you check you have the latest version. Let me know what you are using and I will see if I can help.

13. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Re logo or badge. If someone wants to design one I will see if there is either a way to download as pdf and just laminate or if it is worth while to get some ordered.

Feel free all the artist types - afraid I am not in this bracket, wish I was. Please jump right in for this one...

14. Lipka149

Lipka149 Active Member

Thanks Leslie. Already tested it ... The hard way! :rolleyes:

More to come regarding the improvements. In Sicily at the moment, so I will post more when I get home. Arrivederci !

15. Orava

Orava Active Member

Site does not load correctly anymore (on ipad anyway). Takes ages to load and latest posts feature/list/ column now missing.

16. Wily

Wily Camino Francés May 2016

Hey Orava - I'm having the same problem on my iPad. In the far right hand column thst used to feature just threads, I'm now dealing with a full newsletter and have to scroll well past that to find the threads. Loading very slowly ad well! Anyone else having problems? Help Leslie!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    Orava likes this.
  17. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Active Member

Hi Leslie, and thank you for running a great site. I like it just like it is, but if you wanted to put up a place for people to add their upcoming Caminos, it can be done with a shared Google document. The Women's Facebook group Camigas uses one. It can be a problem, though, because so many people have access to it and can change/modify it - it gets all goofed up occasionally.

18. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Donating Member Donating Member

Loading into my Android hasn't changed since I became a member here. I'm using a Samsung S7.

19. Orava

Orava Active Member

Wily - Does not seem to be a temporary thing. Still takes ages to load pages. Retrograde step in my opinion as makes this forum harder to use and "glacial" in the speed department!

Wily likes this.
  20. Wily

Hey Orava - "Glacial" is an excellent term to use! I, too, continue to have problems with the "normal" functioning of the Forum on my iPad. I'm not sure how often Leslie looks at the posts. I'd like to know if others using iPads are having a similar problem. If it's not fixed in a couple days, I'll PM Leslie to make sure he is aware of the loading and configuration problems. Glad to hear from you. I'm sure someone can get this figured out.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  21. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander Active Member

Hi Wily, and all. At first I didn't have the issue you described, until today on my iPad. The posts load lower and right of where they use to be, and slower. I guess I will need to take the lesson of patience I was forced to learn on the Camino!

Wily likes this.
  22. Wily

Hey CW - Although I've had this problem for a few days now, it's the same problem as you are describing. Think I'll just go ahead and PM Leslie now. Seems to maybe just be an iPad issue. Thanks.

23. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Hi @Wily

my fault. I added a new option on the side bar and it messed up everything. I should have checked on iPad.

It should be working okay now.

Feel free to PM me at any time if you run into issues.

Thanks

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  24. Wily

Thank you Leslie. It's working just fine again. Much appreciated!