1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Polwa

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Melissa, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Melissa

Melissa New Member

Do airlines ever let you carry on your trekking poles?

hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  2. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Collect moments, not things Donating Member

Hi Melissa, I don't know of any airlines that allow your trekking poles in the cabin. Believe me, I tried also. :D But if you don't mind leaving your poles at home (especially if they are expensive ones), you could purchase a pair on the Camino for 20Euros. And they are pretty decent also.

3. Melissa

Melissa New Member

4. Melissa

Melissa New Member

Thank you Hindsfeet! I think that is what I will do. Im sure I can get some in SJPDP. I appreciate your help!

hindsfeet likes this.
  5. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Collect moments, not things Donating Member

Oh, you are very welcome Melissa. You are going to have an amazing 23 days on the Camino! It goes so quickly, enjoy and embrace it all!! Have no expectations, let the Camino come to you!

6. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Although I have heard of people who have taken trekking poles as hand luggage in the past, this is certainly something that I wouldn’t attempt to do as, even if the airline allowed trekking poles as cabin luggage, the chance are that they would be taken off you by the airport security.

Therefore, I would either check them in, or as suggested, it could well work out cheaper to buy new ones at the start of your Camino.

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

Greg Canning, danvo and Melissa like this.
  7. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Melissa - I, too, have not been able to take trekking poles through the TSA checkpoints in the States, Canada, or in Spain. Although I always take my pack as carry on in the cabin, I’ve had tocheck my poles. On our last trip, they didn’t arrive in Santiago when we did. Fortunately, a lovely woman at baggage claim lead us to a back room where she had a stash of inclaimed poles fir us to pick from. Ultimately, our poles did make it home, but it was two weeks after our Camino was over. If you check the TSA website, you’ll see poles listed under sporting equipment that are not allowed in the cabin. As poles can be purchased so inexpensively in France or Spain, I’d take Hindsfeet’s suggestion and pick them up at your starting point on the Camino. Buen Camino!

8. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

I carried my pack in the cabin, but I packed my poles and had the air line take them. When I got to Biaretz the pokes didn't so I bought quite reasonable replacements in Saint Jean

9. Melissa

Melissa New Member

RJS likes this.
  10. Melissa

Melissa New Member

Thank you Rob. I'm taking that advice!

Greg Canning likes this.
  11. Melissa

Melissa New Member

12. Melissa

Melissa New Member

Thank you, Wily. I will do just that. I looked, and there are a few really good sports shops in SJPDP!

Martin (Ozzy) Osborne and Wily like this.
  13. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Finding places to buy poles is easy in Saint Jean. However I would recommend allowing a full day in Saint Jean, That way you can wander around an interesting small town and get over, or reduce the affects of, any jet lag you might have.

14. Melissa

Melissa New Member

Yes! Thank you UnkleHammy! We will be in SJPDP for a day !

15. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    No Problem Melissa – Pleased to be of help.

I also agree with UnkleHammy about spending some time in Saint Jean Pied de Port, not only to buy your trekking poles, but to se the sights and meet up with other pilgrims :)

So

1. Definitely reserve your bed / room at Saint Jean Pied de Port – Sites like booking.com have both beds in private Albergue’s and rooms in hotels, but book ASAP as the cheaper / better options get booked up early
    2. If you are considering staying at Orisson then it’s essential to book your bed there http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/ – Many pilgrims walk from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles in a single day (I did so myself, but at that time there wasn’t the option of staying at Orisson) – However, I now recommend that unless you are a hardened experienced trekker then staying at Orisson is a good idea and has the advantage that this allows you to do some sightseeing in Saint Jean Pied de Port before you start your walk (Many Pilgrims miss doing this and Saint Jean Pied de Port is a really beautiful; place and far too nice to miss) – So, apart from the obvious of it easing you into your pilgrimage by splitting the first and usually considered as the hardest day of the walk into two. You needn’t set off until you have taken an early lunch and can then walk the 8k uphill to Orisson and have a leisurely start to your pilgrimage.
    If Orisson is already full up when you try to reserve your bed, ask if they had any beds available at the nearby Kayola gîte ?? - And if Kayola gîte is also full then there was a thread on here where someone also wanted to break the Saint Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles section into two stages and couldn’t find accommodation to enable them to do this, so, they walked up to Orisson one afternoon, returned to Saint Jean Pied de Port by taxi, then spent the night at Saint Jean Pied de Port, caught a taxi back to Orisson the next morning and continued their walk to Roncesvalles. - Now this may sound somewhat convoluted, but, especially if you aren’t an experienced walker, better than burning out on your first day.

Just one thing to be aware of when making your booking and that is Not to use the contact from on the above website, but to reserve your beds using the email address next to the contact form, then, as there have been a few reports of people who haven’t had confirmation emails sent, if it were me, I would telephone them just so that I was 100% sure that I had a bed waiting for me when I arrive :)

1. It is now also possible to book a bed in the municipal Refugio at Roncesvalles on their website at http://www.alberguederoncesvalles.com/
    2. Then after Roncesvalles, you should be OK and not have to book beds until you get closer to Santiago de Compostela – The closer you get to Santiago de Compostela, the busier the “Way” will get – You will see this slowly happen and be able to judge for yourself when there is a need to book a bed in advance, but I would certainly expect that, IF you are intending walking well into the afternoon then you will have to book in advance after Sarria and probably even before – But if you are stopping walking soon after mid day then it might well be possible to walk all the way from Orisson without reserving a bed
    My own recommendation is that you should reserve your beds in the above places ASAP and preferably it should done as soon as you have all the details of your flights.

Usually (Apart from Roncesvalles) if you need to reserve a bed, you can only do so in private Albergue’s and hotels, Municipal Refugio’s operate on a first come, first served basis – But If you need to reserve a bed, you will be able to do this on a day to day basis, so will still be able to maintain most of your flexibility.

I hope the above info helps

Best Regards

Rob

16. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Melissa - Let me second what UncleHammy said about spending a day in SJPP. It IS a charming small town! Whatever you might need to do before beginning your Camino from getting equipment to shopping for lunch items to picking up your Credencial at the Pilgrim’s Office can be done there.

I would suggest that you and your hiking partner reserve a room or beds in SJPP. You will find a good number of pilgrims starting their Caminos there. So, albergue reservations there and in Roncesvalles are recommended.

http://www.saintjeanpieddeport-paysbasque-tourisme.com/Logez-vous/Hebergements-collectifs

http://www.alberguederoncesvalles.com/index.php?idioma=2

Buen Camino!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  17. keithlundy1

keithlundy1 Active Member