1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Porto A Must For Foodies

Discussion in 'The Camino Portugues' started by Wily, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

For you folks walking the Caminho Portugués this year, try to plan a couple days in Porto at either the beginning or end of your trip (see Laurie Ferris’ posts on this city). One of my favorite websites, Culinary Backstreets, is now offering a 5-6 hour culinary walking tour of Porto that some of you might find worthwhile.

https://culinarybackstreets.com/tou...2018/beyond-barrel-decadent-home-heart-porto/

Whether you taste Porto with a group or on your own, you must give their famous francesinha sandwich a try. It’s one of the most delicious pork sandwiches I’ve ever eaten.

https://culinarybackstreets.com/cities-category/porto/2017/casa-guedes/

Bom Caminho!

anniem, BenL, hindsfeet and 1 other person like this.
  2. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

Oh I will try this!! We are on for Sept...can't wait. I love the Porto posts by Laurie as well.

hindsfeet, Crepes4Suzette and Wily like this.
  3. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Francesinhas are fantastic, and could easily be shared as a meal. Had one at an open-air cafe on the Ribeira one night (it doesn't get much better than that). When I tried to make them at home I couldn't get the sauce right, but that may be because I didn't add the liter of brandy and beer that real ones have in them!

4. JJB

JJB Member

Thanks Wily,

Once again some sage advice.

Planning my trip now for sometime in May or June depending on work. Using a lot of your info for help. Crepes4 gave me some good insight as well. I'm thinking about doing the coastal for the first day then heading inward. Always looking for good advice!

Crepes4Suzette and Wily like this.
  5. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey JJB - I know that you’ll enjoy the Portugués. I’d encourage you to spend that first day on the coast. If you’re as lucky as we were regarding having great weather, you’ll enjoy going up the boardwalk to Vila do Conde. From there, cutting inland to Arcos and joining the Central Route is quite easy.

If you don’t already have your Credencial, you can get one and have it stamped at the cathedral which opens at 9 am. This is what we did due to a very late arrival into the city the night before. Consequently, we left Porto a little later than we had planned, so we grabbed the city bus right below the cathedral and had a most pleasant ride along the Rio Douro up to the market at Matosinhos where we began our walk. On our return to Porto after walking the CP, we then had time to enjoy this wonderful city. I hope you’ll be able to spend some time there either before or after you walk. Bom Caminho!

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  6. Dinah

Dinah Member

I guess I'll need to try the Portugues. I'm planning on San Salvador and Primitivo in September. Will you be in Antigua in August?

Wily likes this.
  7. anniem

anniem Active Member

Thanks Wily, I am going in Sept to walk the Portugues along with my "Camino Family" from the Frances in 2015. We are spread between NZ, Australia, and London and this will be the first time in 3 yrs we will all meet. The sandwich will be a must do along with the bookstore Livario Lello
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livraria_Lello
    Can't wait!

Wily likes this.
  8. samantha davies

samantha davies Member

D

Don't forget the Porto wine and wineries! Beautiful wine variety for amazing food ;)

anniem and Wily like this.
  9. samantha davies

samantha davies Member

Porto is definitely the best place for foodies and wine lovers!!! On my Camino Portugues wished I could stay there longer, such a beautiful and magical city

Wily likes this.
  10. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

When we go in Sept, we will return from Santiago to Porto for 3 days to take in all the great food and wine, and explore the old city.

Crepes4Suzette and Wily like this.