1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portugues or Frances?

Discussion in 'The Camino Portugues' started by Floortjeopreis, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Floortjeopreis

Floortjeopreis New Member

For some reason I do not seem to be able to decide - and I want to start about a week from today. I am looking for: a nice route, not too much (or rather as little as possible) asphalt, interaction wit people, but no crowds and generally being outside and walk every day for a month.

The portugues, when I choose that one, I am contemplating to walk from Lisboa.

What would each of you recommend from your own experience?

Thanks! Floor

2. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator

I have walked both, from Lisbon this year. They are very different.
    I too was undecided about the Portuguese, my heart was pulling me towards it but I was concerned about my first solo walk with few other pilgrims to interact with. In the event there were more people walking from Lisbon to Porto than I had imagined. Although the Portuguese doesn't have the big inclines of the French route, it is still very challenging and there is a lot of road walking. Get a feel for the terrain by visiting my blog, see link below, and also take a look at my resources page here.
    Whichever route you choose, you will have an experience of a lifetime.
    buen camino!

3. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    I think it really depends what you want. You will never see sight of the sea while walking the camino Frances, for me that was not an issue as I lived beside it.

i thinks Maggies idea of reading her blog is good, then have a look at mine as it is all about the Frances, there area few members here with their blogs in their sig below the post, it is a good place to start.

4. Floortjeopreis

Thank you! I had already found your blog and have, reading that, decided to choose the Frances for my first camino. Am leaving next tuesday and am looking forward to it immensely!

5. Floortjeopreis

Thank you Leslie. The Frances it is. Will have a look at your blog later this week.