1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powering-up On The Trail

Discussion in 'What equipment should you use and take' started by Anna R, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Anna R

Anna R New Member

I've seen alot of advise on telephones, ipads, cameras...but not much information on how to power-up or recharge the batteries to this technology on the camino. Any ideas or info from experienced pilgrims?

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I have always managed to keep my own “Devices” charged without hassle – But I only have a compact camera and a very old style mobile phone to worry about.

There is often quite a high demand for electrical sockets in Refugio’s and I have heard of some Peregrino’s who carry their own power-splitters, but I have never bothered myself - However, If you are carrying a lot of electrical equipment and/or only intending in staying at Municipal Refugio’s then you might want to consider taking one with you.

I sometimes plug things in at lunch stops – The bars and restaurants en-route are used to Peregrino’s popping phones etc on charge and I have never had anyone question me when doing this.

I Really don’t see you having any major issues

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

3. stevelm1

stevelm1 The Happy Peregrino Donating Member

Home Page:
    This is more hopeful thinking than experience. but I plan to stay in a hotel periodically and to take advantage of those outlets to charge everything for a while. However as I read what Rob said above I think I am looking for a splitter.

4. dalebob

dalebob Member

Hi I am off walking Camino Portuguese in 3 weeks and plan to use a light portable solar charger attached to my pack to charge/top my electronic kit. Not had much chance to test this out since I bought it because the usual awful British summer weather. Anyone any experience, views or advice on this please? Perhaps should of started a new thread about this? Thanks in advance dalebob

5. stevelm1

stevelm1 The Happy Peregrino Donating Member

Home Page:
    I have a solar charger that I do not plan to bring. It does a fine job of charging up a phone over several hours, but did not really do much for my tablet over an extended period of time. To me it seemed like too much weight for the bang.

dalebob likes this.
  6. Tom V

Tom V Member

Extra battery packs are fairly cheep. I have one that is pretty small and will charge my phone more that two complete times.

dalebob likes this.
  7. dalebob

dalebob Member

Thank for this I have both but have to make the choice, can't take both? Like so many decision which is the one that need ? I am down to 6.5 Kgs bag and kit and have to be brutal about this!
    dalebob

8. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

There is no problem with charging devices in albergues. So extra battery pack is for me 200-300 grams more in my backpack. Solar charger is same device, if you want sleep in tent, you can take it, otherwise it is some grams overload, which is really not needed.

dalebob likes this.
  9. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    If it were me, I also wouldn’t bother taking a sola charger – You will easily be able to live without one and those Extra Gramm’s soon mount up !!

Good luck and Buen Camino

Rob

dalebob likes this.
  10. dalebob

dalebob Member

Thanks chaps decision made battery pack it is! Bueno Camino

11. HamishDylan

HamishDylan New Member

Whilst there are often plugs available in the albergues, if you plug your phone in to charge you have to sit next to it and 'guard' it, when you could really be getting on with shower, laundry etc. If you take a spare power bank, you can charge your phone from it whilst walking, and recharge the power bank in the albergue unattended - if you lose the battery it isn't the end of the world, if you lose your phone its a lot more problematical.

12. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

This why I carried one.

Galloglaigh likes this.