Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Prayer For Peace

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Greg Canning, May 23, 2017.

1. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi all

This morning we woke up to terrible news from Manchester of another attack targeted on children. This is not the first time that children have been the target of evil and I'm sure it won't be the last and the feeling of helplessness can be overwhelming. At times like this I believe we need the community of our shared humanity.

The greatest answer to terrorism is love and hope. The more these individuals try to tear us apart the stronger we need to be in our determination to stand together and to show our solidarity with each other, recognising that in our differences lie our strengths.

In many ways the Camino is a wonderful example of how we meet and engage with others from around the world in peace and hope and I would like to respectfully ask all my fellow pilgrims, those preparing for pilgrimage, those thinking about it and those who are currently on Camino to say a prayer, to send their good thoughts and best wishes for the families affected by terrorism and war around the world and to pray for peace.

Buen Camino

Greg

2. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

Greg, I couldn't agree with you more.....

IF WE HAVE NO PEACE, IT IS BECAUSE WE HAVE FORGOTTEN THAT WE BELONG TO EACH OTHER- Mother Teresa

3. Rupert Canales

Rupert Canales New Member

As a parent, my condolences go out to all those affected by this senseless violence. As a fellow pilgrim, I agree with you Greg, we need to show that we will not allow this cowardly act to tear us apart but for this to actually unite us in our efforts to show our support to all who are victims in this heinous act. I will pray for everyone and continue to pray during my pilgrimage which starts in two weeks from today.

hindsfeet and Greg Canning like this.
  4. Greg Canning

Hi Rupert

If you are walking into Pamplona from Zubiri there is a church at Zabaldika. It is looked after by a small group of nuns. It is a little off the way up on a hill but if you have time to visit I urge you to do so. It was one of the most moving experiences I've had on Camino. The nuns are so welcoming and the simple church is so lovely. There is such a wonderful spirit there. You may also climb the church tower and ring one of the oldest church bells in Navarre to send your prayers out over the valley to the world.

Wishing you a wonderful pilgrimage

Buen Camino

Greg

hindsfeet likes this.
  5. Rupert Canales

Rupert Canales New Member

Greg, I got chills when I read your post just now. The reason being, I just had a conversation with my daughter about two days ago about wanting to go past Larasoana, and stay in the albergue in Zabaldika. I read a post recently and looked it up and have since decided to stay there with the nuns if space is available.
    Thank you. As always what a joy to exchange ideas and suggestions
    Rupert.

6. Greg Canning

Rupert

The "coincidences" of the Camino never cease to amaze me. On our first Camino my partner and I were on our way between Larrasona and Pamplona. We were passing the Abbey at Llarratz and decided to stop and visit. As it turned out the old Abbey is being restored by a lovely couple who took time out to tell us about their project.

As we were leaving they told us about the church at Zabaldika and urged us to visit it. We had a long walk that day and our friend who was with us was suffering from blisters but in the end we all agreed to take the detour to Zabaldika. And wow was that a good decision.

We arrived just as the nuns were having their lunch. One of the nuns kindly took time out to show us the church. She also presented us with a little prayer "the Beatitudes of the Pilgrim" ( which is reproduced elsewhere on this forum). Our experience at Zabaldika was almost overwhelming. It is still the most moving and spiritual experience I've had on the Camino. The simplicity of the church and the nuns who look after it is incredible.

I hope that you have a wonderful experience too.

Buen Camino

Greg

Crepes4Suzette and hindsfeet like this.
  7. mjfisher02

mjfisher02 New Member

I was so sad and heartbroken to hear the news about Manchester. Prayers to all.

Hinsfeet's quote is spot on.

However I sit here and ponder my thoughts daily (I am a ponderer and reflector person), many times it is about topics of faith and spirituality...mainly my own perception on what I believe. And many times this is my final thought on it.
    There will never be peace, especially when it comes to religion. Religion is based on faith (not doctrine in my eyes). Faith is based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof - from Google. The fact that we are humans, we add the opinion factor into the equation. Because everyone has an opinion, not everyone is going to have the same one. So if someone's opinion is strong enough, they will lash out to make their opinion heard. Which is the basis for these attacks.
    After I have my thoughts on that I come to my own realization that religion is more about tolerance than acceptance. Because religion is based on faith not fact. There are those, and always will be those that have the opinion that it is the opposite. And for that reason we will continue to not have peace.

Rainyday woman and hindsfeet like this.
  8. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

Hi mjfisher02... ponder and reflect... In our busy schedules, I think that we need to do more
    of that. I know that I do. It causes us to confront what we really believe or have faith in. I think many of us are drawn to the Camino because it freely invites that! I agree with you that there will never be peace. The earth is filled with us broken, sinful, selfish, and greedy inhabitants.
    You are right, I think most religion IS based on faith not fact. Me, being stubborn since birth.....(that's what my Mom always said), I always do things the hard way, don't believe what
    others preach or tell me. I HAVE to try it myself to prove it's worth or validity. So, my faith needed to be backed by fact.... rooted in history and evidence. Blind faith wouldn't work with me. Aha...that's when Jesus Christ found me. Once I found out how much HE loved me, there
    started the relationship. Wouldn't change it for the world. It changed ME, that was the miracle
    to me. It is a living, growing relationship (like a marriage). My faith and trust in Him and His promises is what keeps me going....NEVER has he broken those promises.
    BUT....everyone is on their own journey...
    Love your quote mj......".IT IS ONLY WITH THE HEART THAT ONE CAN SEE RIGHTLY.
    WHAT IS ESSENTIAL IS INVISIBLE TO THE EYE"-Antoine de Saint-Exupery
    so true

James Orrock and Greg Canning like this.
  9. Jose

Jose Active Member

I agree, Greg. In a world torn by all of this, I will carry this hope and prayer with me on the camino. I have my own stuff that I will walk through but this is maybe even more important when everything is said in done. Paz. Buen Camino

10. James Orrock

James Orrock Active Member

My faith in the Divine Creator of the universe (namely, the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit) is perfectly compatible with reason. The Manchester atrocity was committed by people who do not know that GOD (the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit) is love. They thought that they would be martyrs with a one way ticket to a bordello-like paradise but they were badly mistaken.

hindsfeet likes this.
  11. ToussantFrend

ToussantFrend New Member

Prayers can move mountains. Buen Camino.

12. James Orrock

James Orrock Active Member

Prayers can be prayed by those who wear suicide vests and detonate them in crowds of young people leaving a pop concert in Manchester. Prayers can be prayed by truck drivers who run down and crush pedestrians along Las Ramblas and in Nice and in Berlin and in London. Those prayers are prayed by Muslim jihadis seeking to kill infidels.

Or prayers can be prayed by those seeking to speak with the Creator of the universe and ask for help for themselves and for their fellow pilgrims along the way of life. There are different prayers and different intentions.