1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pretty Good Airfare

Discussion in 'Traveling to and from the Camino' started by BROWNCOUNTYBOB, Dec 12, 2018.

1. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

I've been monitoring round trip airfares for the last several months. A round trip Indianapolis - Barcelona has been consistently priced at $1250 to $1300 for the major airlines (Delta, United, etc). I check the prices a few times per week in case there is a sudden drop. Yesterday I was pleased to see that the round trip price had dropped to $743 / person, so I decided to lock in this good price and not wait to see if it dropped lower. So my wife and I are set for our third camino next Sept-Oct. Bob

2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Bob - You’re absolutely correct about that being a good airfare. I’ve been following fares for that route for some time now. A springtime RT Montreal to Barcelona is currently at $691. I haven’t seen it lower than that over the past few months. You were wise to lock in now as that’s very likely the best you may find. Buen Camino!

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  3. Amy Brooks

Amy Brooks Member

Congrats - that is great! I can't be as flexible as I am planning around my work schedule. I am tracking prices to Porto since I have now decided to do the Camino Portuguese. Prices for May are around $1300. Google Flights is a great tool for tracking flights. Congrats on the flight price and for your upcoming Camino.

UnkleHammy and Ginamarie like this.
  4. Wily

Hey Amy, I’m guessing you are flying out of Portland. If you could find a cheap flight to the East Coast, you might get a better fare to Porto. I usually fly to Europe out of Montreal. Just found a YUL to OPO flight on United for $582 on Kayak.com. Bom Caminho!

Amy Brooks, UnkleHammy and Ginamarie like this.
  5. Ginamarie

Ginamarie Active Member

Wily Isn't it expensive to get to Montreal rather than going to JFK? Just curious.

hindsfeet, Wily and UnkleHammy like this.
  6. Wily

Hi Ginamarie - Whether for domestic or international flights, I use Montreal almost exclusively. For me, as I live in upstate NY near Lake Champlain, it’s just an hours drive to Trudeau International Airport in Montreal. It would take over 6 hours by car for me to get to JFK. But, for someone flying in from the West Coast, there are options in both the US and Canada for perhaps more reasonable flights to Europe. As I was checking out May flights to Porto, flights out of JFK were in the low $500 range. So, it might be worth it for someone from the West Coast to check out if they can get a cheap flight to the east and then fly out of one of the airports like YUL or JFK. Buen Camino!

UnkleHammy, Ginamarie and Amy Brooks like this.
  7. Amy Brooks

Amy Brooks Member

Wily

Thank you so much for your advice. This is a great idea. With Alaska miles I can get to Boston or NY for free and then as you suggest get a cheaper flight to Porto. Great tip!! I haven't been on here for a while as work has been very busy but I couldn't get enough time off to do the CF so I am going to walk the CP - I have about 3 1/2 weeks off so my thought was to fly to Porto - take the train to Coimbra (or further south) and start my Camino there - I am hoping to have 20 plus days to walk.

I will be leaving first week of May. Any thoughts?

Thanks as always for keeping my Camino dreams alive and informed!!

Amy

UnkleHammy, Ginamarie and Wily like this.
  8. Wily

Hey Amy - So glad the idea will work out for you. I’ve been to Logan International Airport a number of times this fall and it’s a very easy airport to maneuver.

The CP is a great choice and one that I think you’ll enjoy a great deal. Let me offer must a couple suggestions or recommendations. Nancy and I walked it, taking our time, in 12 days. Your 20 days will give you plenty of time even starting further south.

1. Whether at the start or end of your trip or after you’ve walked for a few days, be sure to give yourself at least some extra time in Porto to explore this wonderful city.
    2. Out of Porto, take the coastal route up to Vila do Conde to avoid the industrial section of the city and to enjoy a most pleasant day on the boardwalk walking north.
    3. Although we used Brierley’s guide, we did break up a couple of his longer stages. Doing this again, I’d stop short of Barcelos and spend the night at the albergue in Pedra Furada. We really enjoyed meeting Antonio, the owner, and taking a break there at his restaurant. Had we not had a reservation ahead, we would have stopped for the day. The smells out of the kitchen were to die for!
    4. My favorite stop on the CP was at Casa de Fernanda in Lugar do Corbo about halfway between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima. You will not find a more genuinely gracious and welcoming host anywhere on the Camino. Her place is small and very popular. As her English is excellent, I made a quick call from the States to reserve beds. I’m sure you could also do this once you get to Portugal and better know your itinerary.
    5. So many great towns and cities along the CP. We really enjoyed Ponte de Lima, Tui, Pontevedra, and Padrón (if you’re a pepper lover, be sure to try the Pimientos de Padrón either here or elsewhere along the Camino).
    6. The stage between Tui and Redondela is quite long. We broke it up with an overnight in O Porriño. Be sure to take the river route into the city so as to avoid a long walk along the highway through the industrial section.
    7. As others on this Forum have mentioned, there is an alternate route out of Pontevedra called the Variante Espiritual. Altnough we didn’t walk it on our CP, it is on our list for the next time. You might want to check this out particularly if you have an extra day in your schedule.
    8. If you’re returning home from Porto, it’s very easy to catch a bus from Santiago going south. In no time, you’re back in Portugal. Depending on your budget, we enjoyed staying at The Poets Inn in Porto both coming and going.
    8. And finally, if you’re a seafood lover, the number of Portuguese and Spanish dishes you can try is a real treat. I’d go back to Portugal just for the food. Bom Caminho!

9. Ginamarie

Ginamarie Active Member

Fantastic info Wily! You are a gem! This is very useful to many I'm sure.

Wily likes this.
  10. Amy Brooks

Amy Brooks Member

Wily

Oh my goodness - such great info! Thank you so much for all your time and information. I will print this out and take it with me as I embark on my Camino.. thank you again so much. I am excited to meet some of these wonderful people you speak of and to be able to take advantage of your prior Camino experience.

Most of all - I can't wait to touch base after my Camino and compare stories!

Thank you Wily - your advice and friendship here is invaluable.

Amy

Wily and UnkleHammy like this.
  11. Amy Brooks

Amy Brooks Member

Wily

I took your advice and wow what a difference in price. Looks like I can fly with miles to Boston and then from there to Porto is around $550 (US) roundtrip to Porto.

Thank you so much for the tip. The only wrinkle in my plan now - is I may be stopping in France post-Camino to watch some of the Women's World Cup. But flying to/from Boston will definitely save me money.

Thanks again... another day closer....

Amy

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  12. Wily

Hey Amy - So glad the idea is going to work for you. That’s a great airfare out of Boston.

Another website that I just became aware of is Kiwi.com. They appear to specialize in cheap airfares. If you’re trying to put together an itinerary with multiple stops around the globe, you’ll definitely want to check out the Nomad feature. In any case, just another option for travelers looking for getting from one place to another without spending a small fortune. Buen Camino!

Amy Brooks likes this.
  13. Amy Brooks

Amy Brooks Member

Wily

Cool I will definitely check out the Kiwi.com site.

Thanks again for all the advice. Buen Camino

Amy