1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Public Holidays 2019-how Will We Be Affected?

Discussion in 'Camino Via de la Plata - The Silver Route' started by Patty van Hest, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Patty van Hest

Patty van Hest New Member

Hello fellow pilrims.
    When we are walking the VDLP next year (we think we'll 1 April) we will have a few different Public Holidays/Holy days. 4 April the Feast of San Vincent Ferrer, Then the 4 days of Easter from 18 April, then in May there is Labour Day, and we may even still be there when Galicia has it's Literature Day, 17 May.
    So my obvious question is: are they going to be a problem or does pilgrim life continue on without being affected too much? We are not planning on taking public transport, luggage transfers etc, so really meals and accommodation are our biggest concerns. If shops are closed we'll work around that if we think we need something.

Anyone having experience with this, your 5 or 10 cents are muchly much appreciated!

Patty

BenL and UnkleHammy like this.
  2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi again Patty

Although it is quite a while ago, I also trekked my own Via de la Plata at the same time as you – 1st April (April Fool’s Day) until Friday 13th May – Two Auspicious Dates ;-)

We didn’t have any major problems securing accommodation – We never had anything booked in advance (Apart from Santiago de Compostela) and the only time that we had to check several hotels before finding one with rooms was over Semana Santa (https://www.tripsavvy.com/semana-santa-dates-1644105 show different dates to those you have posted?)- So depending where you are then, you might want to consider booking a hotel in advance.

When I trekked the route there were some fairly major gaps with no Refugio accommodation available, I expect that many of these will now have been filled, but I would say that if there is specific pilgrim accommodation available then finding a bed over the festivals and feast days shouldn’t be a problem, but if you are staying in a municipal albergue or hotel, then booking one in advance would be safer.

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

Patty van Hest and UnkleHammy like this.
  3. Patty van Hest

Patty van Hest New Member

Thanks Rob. As we intend leaving 1 april, I think we'll be close to Aljucén or so. (Give or take a stage either side). Sounds like it is not going to be a problem much. The link with your dates show the whole 10-day festival, but the Easter I referred to is the last four of that list. Good to know they celebrate a whole 10 days! We'll be on the look out for local custom celebrations, should be fun!

UnkleHammy likes this.