1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question On Travel Insurance

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Janade, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Janade

Janade New Member

Today I found out that my regular medical insurance will cover me at 100% for any emergency or urgent care visits while I'm overseas. Whoohoo! That is a blessing because I have a few chronic conditions that, while not causing me any issues at the moment, could flare up unexpectedly -- and I would have had to pay extra to get a pre-existing condition waiver if I had to pay for medical insurance.

I don't really need travel insurance in order to reimburse me for an interrupted or cancelled trip, as I'm using frequent flyer miles for my tickets and very few of my reservations are non-refundable.

However, I would like the peace of mind of having medical evacuation insurance - just in case. But I'm not finding a company that offers just that portion of traveler's insurance.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Wily likes this.
  2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Janada - Have you tried the website travelinsurance.com? They appear to be a broker for many different travel insurance companies. After entering my trip specifics, I had the option of filtering what services I wanted including emergency medical evacuation. Although all of the quotes included more than just this service, medical evacuations were covered. I was given quotes by some 20 different companies with quite a wide range of prices. Based on this information, it looks like one buys a package of covered services rather than just a single option. Many of the companies seem to offer a package of services at a very reasonable cost. Having the whole thing may give you that peace of mind just in case an emergecy were to occur. In any case, if you identify a particular company you like, I’d give them a call and chat with them about your specific need. Although my private insurance would cover my medical expenses aborad, minus out-of-network charges, I carry additional travel insurance. For our upcoming trip, our per person charge of under $60, including medical evacuation, gives me a certain peace of mind that I don’t object to paying for. Buen Camino!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  3. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi Janade

Just be careful on the issue of medical/travel insurance. If you are travelling from outside the EU the hospitals in Spain may either look for a credit card or approval in advance from an insurance company prior to treating you (obviously if it's an emergency they will treat you but unless it is they will seek the pre-authorisation). Many health insurers will provide cover for urgent care abroad but on the basis that you pay upfront and claim a refund on your return and ensuring you have obtained their approval in advance to receive the treatment. It's definitely worth checking out.

Being Irish, a citizen of an EU country, I am entitled when travelling within the EU to receive the same level of emergency care a citizen of the EU Member State I'm visiting would be entitled to receive. I also have private health insurance which covers me for emergency care abroad and I still take out annual travel insurance that covers care while travelling abroad. Belt and braces maybe but I think it's worth it.

Buen Camino

Greg

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  4. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Janade, Squaremouth.com is another like Wily mentioned above. You can choose on a checkbox menu to filter the search for which features you want, such as mainly for emergency evacuation. My insurance covers 100% like yours does - they just want a call to their "Global Core Services" after major visits so they can be alerted and start the process of reimbursement.

The only time I ever bought travel insurance (Allianz), I actually DID have a fairly serious medical need, but they didn't cover for it because it was related to something pre-existing. I have concerns about medical evacuation also, as I hear it can cost well into the tens of thousands. Once I took care of an 81 year old Breton man who was cycling across the U.S. from San Francisco (without much English!) who was hit by a MAC truck in rural Pennsylvania and ended up being flown to our trauma unit. It was no small thing, after his condition started improving, to arrange for and get him transported home on a flight to France with medical support.

5. Janade

Janade New Member

Thanks all! My medical insurance has provided me with a number to call should I need care while overseas. They then coordinate all care and payment to the provider. Obviously, if I need emergency treatment, then I take care of the situation and then notify them and they take over. It sounds quite straight forward and simple.

I did end up purchasing a very low cost plan through SquareMouth that offers trip interruption, lost/delayed baggage reimbursement, accidental death and dismemberment, and medical evacuation and repatriation of remains. It also acts as a secondary medical insurance, which I don't anticipate needing since my medical insurance covers things at 100% -- but since it was included, why not?

Here's hoping I don't need any of it :)

Crepes4Suzette and Wily like this.
  6. Bryan Morlock

Bryan Morlock Pilgrim Bryan

We did have travel insurance before heading to Spain. My sister needed some care on her feet, and had to pay in cash prior to being able to see a doctor. Also, no one at the clinic was able to speak English and we were getting nowhere until a very young ambulance driver arrived who did speak English. He served as a translator at the front desk for her and at the bank where she had to make the cash deposit (you don't pay at the clinic). The doctor had translation software on the computer, so he would type his questions in Spanish and my sister would read and respond in English. That part worked very well.

UnkleHammy likes this.