Question: Sending Backpacks Ahead

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Kathie Dunnings, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Kathie Dunnings

Kathie Dunnings New Member

Hi, I am walking my first Camino next week, and I am worrying that my arthritic knee may let me down. I understand that it is possible to send your backpack on ahead. Is this something that you would advise, if on some days I am struggling. I am 67 years old and will be walking alone.

UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hi Kathie - Jacotrans offers a highly reliable baggage transfer service along the Camino.

http://www.jacotrans.com/

One tags and leaves their pack at the albergue/hostel/hotel in the morning where it will be picked up and delivered to your next destination. The cost is 7€ per bag per transfer. For one reason or another, many pilgrims use the service as I have. Do have a smaller bag or pack with you to carry items that you might need that day. All of the albergues are very familiar with the service. I would just let the hospitalero know that I had a bag to be picked up. It will usually be at your destinstion before you are. Buen Camino!

3. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Kathie, my wife developed knee pain during our 2015 camino. She learned of Jaco-trans from another pilgrim when we checked in the alberge at Carrion de los Condes (he noticed her slow pace and obvious pain). He suggested Jaco-Trans and we began shipping her backpack ahead the very next day and continued to do so through our arrival in Santiago de Compestela. For our upcoming camino, we'll ship her backpack ahead daily beginning in St Jean (my wife is 59 1/2 years old).

One thing to be aware of - since Jaco-trans generally picks up backpacks and delivers in the morning, there are some municipal albergues that do not open until early afternoon and therefore they will not accept the backpack. In addition to completing the form to note the destination town and albergue, we always called Jaco-trans late afternoon and informed them of pickup / destination and my wife's name. If that albergue does not accept the backpacks, Jaco-trans advised us. They usually drop off the backpack at a nearby bar. We never had issues regarding backpack pickup and dropoff. However, there were a few places in which we were ready to begin hiking the next stage at 7:00 am, and had to patiently wait until someone opened the bar so we could drop off the pack for that day's transport.

During our last camino, we ran into a pilgrim from Poland ("Roman") that intended to use Jako-trans only the first day as he walked the Napoleon route over the Pyrenees. He said he enjoyed the walk so much that he shipped his backpack ahead every day thereafter.

4. El Condor 2014

El Condor 2014 Active Member Donating Member

Both @Wily and @BROWNCOUNTYBOB have covered the subject pretty good, only additions I can make is that the price, changes during some stages from 7 euros to 10 euros then back to 5 euros. There is also other company that provides the same service, eg CORREOS.
    They are all pretty good and reliable. If in doubt as the Hospitalero.
    Also keep a couple of Tags (envelopes) spare in your back pack just in case the Albergue have run out of Tags or they don't have any of your preferred courier ,
    Make sure YOU or the Hospitalero calls the transport company that is carrying your bags ahead of time preferably the night before.

Buen Camino

5. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Kathie, it really does help. After carrying a pack, on the days you send it ahead you'll feel like you're fairly skipping along. Other than days when you feel sore or extra tired, there are some other days that - either because of an extra-long stage or because of elevation gain/difficulty - it might be good to know about ahead of time so you can plan your lodging so you can send your pack ahead. If you want people's ideas about which stretches these are, just ask.

6. Kathie Dunnings

Kathie Dunnings New Member

Thank you everybody for your most helpful advice. I wasn't sure if my suggestion would be frowned upon by some, so it is very reassuring to read your comments.
    One more question, I have read somewhere that if you send your backpack on, then you do not automatically get a bed for the night but have to wait until a certain hour, is this true?

Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.
  7. Wily

Hi Kathie - Sending your pack forward does not guarantee you a bed. The only sure way of guaranteeing a bed is by making a reservation. This can be done at most of the private albergues. However, the municipal albergues do not take reservations. It's a first come, first served, stand in line type of situation. Many albergues, if not most, have an afternoon opening time. With or without a reservation one still needs to wait for it to open if you arrive early. During the busy season, there can be a real "bed rush." Personally, I liked having reservations since then I knew that I had a guarenteed bed for the night. There are a number of ways to reserve beds in the private albergues. Some of them are already linked to Booking.com. For others, it's as simple as sending them an email requestiong a bed for a certain night. Once over there, the hospitaleros are glad to call ahead for you a night or two and request that a bed be reserved. Generally, if you arrive early in the afternoon to your destinstion there will not be a problem getting a bed. If, however, your a slower walker and one who might arrive later in the day, you might think about reservations. Do check out the current thread about Roncesvalles. In addition to definitely having a bed/room reserved in SJPP, you might also now want to reserve in Roncesvalles before leaving home. Buen Camino.

http://www.caminodesantiago.org.uk/...the-albergue-in-roncesvalles.6659/#post-45708

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  8. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

I plan on testing this logic in a couple of weeks.

9. Colette0131

Colette0131 New Member

Hi Kathie,
    I just returned from the Camino Portugues, I also travelled alone. Every hotel and Alberge advertise a service which can take you backpack on to the next stage though the service has a minimum number of 4 bags that they will transfer. You will meet many people and can ask at the hotel if it is possible to send the rucksack on with another group. They drop off the bag at the lead person's accommodation. i was very luck that I met with a group from Ireland and sent my bag on with them for one stage. i collected it on arrival.
    Please be aware though that there are many people not walking the Camino who will offer to take your bag for a fee. They are on the whole not reputable and I was told of many people losing their rucksacks this way.
    I had a tremendous time on my Camino and am already planning a return trip.
    Buen camino

Colette

10. Wily

Hey Colette - Good advice about using ONLY reputable transfer services for packs or luggage.

My recent experience on the CP wasn't quite the same as yours. Because of knee problems, we shipped my wife's pack ahead for 4-5 days. We used Tuitrans. They had their tags at most of the places where we stayed. I also found tags for a couple other similar services operating on the CP. There was no minimum number of bags needed for transfer nor was there the issue of finding another group to send them in with. After the first day using Tuitrans, I simply contacted them by email for the next day's pick-up. We'd leave the pack at the albergue or hostel reception along with 5€ and by the time we reached our destination, the pack had already been delivered. The service worked perfectly.

http://tuitrans.com/?lang=en

11. Tina-Marie Brownie

Tina-Marie Brownie Active Member

Morning El Condor, Did Correos have their own tags? Also did you bring some envelopes from home? I have been in contact with them but I guess in translation I am still feeling a little unsure.

I have been given information from Correos and it appears to be much cheaper to book and pay ahead if you intend to send forward each leg (attached a translated copy of the email sent to me) which I gladly share with you all. :D

Attached Files:

12. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Active Member

Hi crepes...I only just heard about the backpack transport service in the book I am reading by one of the pilgrims. Your comment about "skipping" along just made me smile. It could become way too addicting!!!! but what a wonderful option to keep on tap. My backpack is going to be about 13lbs and I carry it when I do extended walks now. It is comfortable at 9lbs and the things I have to add at the last minute will not make it awful. Realizing important things like the availability of toiletries especially made me happy.

Like Wily you are a 'good and faithful' support on the forum. Thanks for that.

PS did you train at all for your Camino?

13. Crepes4Suzette

Hi there, Kim! Oh yes, I did train and am training now. I'm leaving in less than 3 weeks for the Norte/Primitivo. My first Camino through the Pyrenees was unusual because of the weather, and I couldn't have made it without having trained. I didn't stay at Orisson either time because they do a kind of "bonding" exercise at dinner in which they go around the room and have people introduce themselves and speak a bit about their hopes and reasons for doing the Camino - I'm just not the type for it. I do some basic yoga with a class 2X/week which really helps with the pounding and compacting way that hiking affects the lower body, and then with a couple of months of 2 or 3X/week hiking maybe 6 - 10K without and then with a pack and then a few longer-distance hikes toward the end, you can start slowly when there (are you starting in SJPP?) and build up to longer daily distances. It seems to take about two weeks of daily long-distance walking to start feeling like a hiking machine, but once there it feels great. I'm retired now and live in the mountains, so can get some good hillwalking in (I'm still slow at it, and people pass me up on the big hills on the Camino). I trained for about 2 months for the first two Caminos and will be at about the same for this more strenuous one. Went out today with a 15.5# pack for the first time this year and did 10K in the mountains to ease into the carrying the pack weight. Did 18K over the mountains to the next town last weekend. I think your pack weight of 13# is excellent!

Last year I hiked into Santiago with a 72 year old social worker who had walked the entire way in strappy Chaco sandals because she had bunions. She was really tired at the end of the day because she decided to push about 7K beyond her comfort zone, but she made it.

I'm very glad to help whenever possible - it adds meaning and purpose to do so. I so wanted to work with MSF, and so admire your having worked with them! I hope your training is going well and I'll be happy to try to answer whatever I can.

14. Crepes4Suzette

Wow, Tina! That's a really good find! I'm so glad to know about it and have downloaded the instructions in case I can use Correos on the Norte/Primitivo. It sounds like they might not mind corresponding in English also. I can Google-translate offline, so emailing in Spanish or Portuguese isn't a problem, but transport services on the Norte and the Primitivo seem to require calling them...... I don't speak Spanish well enough to do the transactions. Thank you!

UnkleHammy likes this.
  15. El Condor 2014

Hi @Tina-Marie Brownie and @Crepes4Suzette .

There are two issues here
    1) Transportation of suitcase to your final destination (eg from Pamplona to Santiago or Madrid to Santiago ) or back home in case you have over packed ( eg Burgos to California )
    2) Transportation of Backpacks per stage ( eg Roncesvalles to Zubiri or Pamplona to Puente La Reina )

I have checked the Correos web site

1* ) Transportation of suitcase from starting point to your final destination
    Go to any Correos Office at your starting point and they will give you all the forms /stickers etc that you will required . You pay the cost at the Correos office, Keep a record of the destination as some large city's may have various large Correos office

2) Transportation of Backpacks , Multiple or single stages
    (Quote )
    You can hire our PAQ BACKPACK from 4 euros per stage contracting 5 or more stages * (pick up and delivery at chosen accommodation)
    You also have the option to hire the service for some loose stage. In this case the price will be 5 euros per stage * * Price for the transfer of a single package that does not exceed 20kg and for transports between stages less than 25 kilometers. For bicycle stages the maximum travel is 90km ( End Quote)

For reservations and information
    paqmochila@correos.com or at +34 683 44 00 22 (also by WhatsApp).

Most Albergues have Correos Envelopes, but if they don't you can use a Normal envelope, Just make sure you Call them the night before and let them know your pick up point and destination.

Hope the above makes sense ! if you need further clarification please let me know

This is what the envelopes looks like in case you want to keep a couple of spare emergency envelopes in your backpack

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  16. Wily

Hey Kim - The transport service that is available is great and if necessary, there for you. Not familiar with the Correos service that Tina-Marie and Condor know about, but it sounds like it works similar to JacoTrans. My experience has been that the hostels and albergues are all very familiar with the services so they will be very able to help you if you have any questions or want to use the services. As I've mentioned in other posts, we recently used the service in Portugal so as to take some of the pressure off my wife's knee (it was an excellent decision). It was well worth the few Euro we spent and as professional and reliable as we would hope it to be.

Like C4S mentioned, I like the weight of your pack. It's nearly identical to what we carried. I was significantly heavier a year ago on the CF and I quickly learned my lesson. A 13 pound pack is a dream to carry!

Continue with your extended walks wearing your pack. The better condition you're in, the more you'll enjoy your Camino. If you get your back/shoulders and feet used to long walks, you'll be all set for the CF. Although one walks a great deal every day, you control the pace and decide when and where to take breaks. I have to tell you, there's nothing better than Spanish coffee and a pastry! We enjoyed a coffee break about every 5 km. In addion to a rest stop, it was also the time when we got to chat with many of our Camino friends. In Portugal, we took our time and really enjoyed all the different aspects of The Way. Buen Camino!

17. Wily

Hey C4S - Nice training program! It does make a difference, doesn't it? As I just mentioned to Kim above, the more training one does in preparation for their Camino, the easier it generally makes the walk. Some days are harder than others, for example days in the mountains, but the other issue is the fatigue factor that builds over a 500 mile journey. Conditioning really helps prepare you for the day after day after day walking. The other thing I'd recommend that folks build into their plans are rest days. I walked the CF last year without any. That was a mistake! As I quickly learned earlier this month after walking the CP, our day off in Santiago at the end was enough to recharge us and we were ready to walk more. If one is walking the entire Francés, take some stops along The Way.

Funny that you mentioned the "bonding" experience in Orisson. You're correct that that's not everyone's cup of tea. I, too, would have avoided that stop for the very same reason. Not all of us like to share in quite that way or have different levels of comfort when talking publicly about our reasons for walking. I ran into a similar situation in Carrion de los Condes that I quickly exited from. But, as we each walk our our Camino and have our own dustinct personalities, I'm very pleased that there is a little sonething for everyone along The Way. Enjoy the Norte/Primativo! Buen Camino

18. El Condor 2014

You are correct Willy, they are all pretty much the same , I mention Correos on a previous post as an example.

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  19. Crepes4Suzette

Thanks for your response, Wily, and for saying that you also would have passed on the "opportunity to share" - I thought I must be the only one who finds that kind of thing unpleasant. I also took rest time on the CF at the beginning/arrival, along the way, and 2 days at the end in Santiago. This time will rest a 1/2 day in Madrid to see the Prado, a 1/2 day in Bilbao, a 1/2 day in Santillana del Mar to see the Altamira caves and hopefully take a day in Oviedo. Then maybe Porto/Lisbon/Sintra at the end. Was confounded initially to discover that Oviedo has a bronze statue of Woody Allen in their big park. He evidently loves Oviedo and filmed parts of Vickie Christina Barcelona there.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Wily likes this.
  20. Crepes4Suzette

Has anyone used Correos for day-by-day transfer? I hadn't heard before this that they do anything but forward items to the end in Santiago. Am going to email them for confirmation about the Primitivo, as am eager to NOT carry pack a few days based on accounts of a few specific days of it.

Tina-Marie Brownie likes this.
  21. Wily

Hey C4S - Great ideas for your rest/stop days! So many possibilites in Madrid, but the Prado is an excellent choice. In particular, I really enjoyed the collection of Goyas that they house. So much to see, so little time! I didn't know if the caves at Altamira were open to the public. The famous Lascaux caves in France have been closed and one can only visit a reproduction of them. Please let us know more about these after going there. Not having visited Lisbon, I can't speak to that city. But, I believe that you will find Porto most charming. I look forward to returning and sounding more time there. If you saw Laurie Ferris' most recent posting on the 6 bridges boat tour, that sounds like great fun! Be sure to snap a photo of that Woody Allen statue in Oviedo. :) Buen Camino!

hindsfeet and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  22. Crepes4Suzette

Like Lascaux, it's only a reproduction cave in Altamira as well, but they have a museum also that's supposed to be good - I missed the ones in Atapuerca and Burgos, so want to see what this one is like. Thank you so much for mentioning the Goyas. Evidently his Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters is at the Prado, which I didn't know and wouldn't have wanted to miss!

Wily likes this.
  23. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Wily and C4S, many years ago I decided that having to get up in front of people that I didn't know was a survivable, not always an enjoyable, experience. So talking at Orisson was OK. I did all of my "bonding" over a couple of beers on the terrace outside. I have spent many nights with others in cramped quarters when doing volunteer work and that does not bother me.

Crepes4Suzette and Wily like this.
  24. Wily

Hey C4S - Atapuerca and the museum in Burgos are on my list for my next time on the CF. As I passed the archeological site, I regretted not having the time to visit. Ah, but now I've left something for next time as I plan on spending a rest day in Burgos. Plus, for anyone yet to visit the cathedral, its magnificent! Good tapas in town as well!

25. El Condor 2014

2) Transportation of Backpacks , Multiple or single stages
    (Quote )
    You can hire our PAQ BACKPACK from 4 euros per stage contracting 5 or more stages * (pick up and delivery at chosen accommodation)
    You also have the option to hire the service for some loose stage. In this case the price will be 5 euros per stage * * Price for the transfer of a single package that does not exceed 20kg and for transports between stages less than 25 kilometers. For bicycle stages the maximum travel is 90km ( End Quote)

For reservations and information
    paqmochila@correos.com or at +34 683 44 00 22 (also by WhatsApp).

Most Albergues have Correos Envelopes, but if they don't you can use a Normal envelope, Just make sure you Call them the night before and let them know your pick up point and destination.

26. Kim Federici

Thanks C4S. I just eat up the information you guys provide and since I do have 4 months before I hit the trail in STJPP I might just keep it light on hiking length. I have lots of choices because of the hilliness of the area I live in. For now alternating gym days with hike days seems the best and does the whole body priming. About a month before I go, I will get into the daily hiking for extended periods. Even now though, I feel energized on the days I walk. This morning I am breaking out a brand new pair of Thorlos that feel like velvet...yum.

Re MSF, I did not start working for them until I was 60 and had to put it on hold after my first year llong assignment because it warped our budget too badly. Once my husband retired, I was able to take it on in a much fuller way. I absolutely loved it and will still consider working with them again, maybe in the coming year. The are not the least bit ageist and if you have a skill set they need they will massage it into the setting. I loved the challenge.

27. Kim Federici

I plan to make these exact places part of my slow days. The richness of this history on this path just gives me a nerdy, deep tingling all over my body.

Crepes4Suzette, hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  28. Crepes4Suzette

Kim, thank you. I'm going to re-apply to MSF.

29. Kim Federici

With your love of adventure (evidenced here) you just need to set up your CV with focus on your ability to work in a team and your flexibility as a player. Search ut the way these things have shown up in your wrk history. If yu want t discuss this at more length in person be in touch (kimfederici@gmail.cm) and I might be able t help .

Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.
  30. Tina-Marie Brownie

Tina-Marie Brownie Active Member

I have been conversing with Correos and no matter how many stages you do to get to Santiago the cost is the same (which I am really happy about). :rolleyes:

As for the back sent forward from Roncesvalle to Santiago and then stored - that is much cheaper than other companies and the bag is for 3 women for a week in Madrid - so I think we did really well to keep one bag haha ;)

For my luggage issue - well I am checking my luggage from Australia through to Biarritz due to hiking poles, knife (for picnicing etc) so I am just adding in a soft duffel bag for the Madrid clothing - this will cause no problems for me at all as it was all part of my ticket airfare, so well it just makes sense. I now am having surgery once again on 22nd May with a full 6 weeks recovery which only leaves 8 weeks for training - so my pain meds, disposable heat packs are now a new weight consideration I just cannot do without.

I use google translate for all communication with them and I can pre-pay for my Roncesvalle to Finisterre transport up front and no longer be concerned with that :D

Anyway I know that some think that sending a bag forward each day is silly...... don't judge, some of us have some special needs that cannot be seen by just looking at us(not wanting to just drag a lot of clothes) that mean we are able to pain manage better so that we can do the walk as well :oops:

hindsfeet, Crepes4Suzette and Wily like this.