1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions and Ideas

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by Leslie, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Any questions or ideas for the boards let me know - I am always open to new ideas.

Lost password have to be retrieved by the automated method as I cannot access your password. If this is causing you a problem let me know.

Enjoy.

Alan J Brown likes this.
  2. Jambo

Jambo Guest

List of private albergues and other cheap accommodation

Hi Leslie,

Doing the Camino without staying in albergues is a touchy subject on other Camino forums. There has been various lists of hostals and hotels but not all have a phone or website. These list also show alternative accommodation in Paradors costing over 290Euro/night.

As this is a new forum perhaps it could take the lead in listing private albergues and other simple alternative sleeping places in the 10Euro to 50Euro range.

Replies should be filtered out as not all those who have slept on the floor and taken cold showers in crowded albergues are tolerant enough to understand that there are many others who are equally satisfied in their spirituality awakening without having to use the overcrowded albergues.

3. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    I keep a list which is currently being updated of all Albergues - I don't care if they are private or not - makes no difference from my experience - well not quite true the private ones are usually better and cleaner, but not always.

As for a list of pensions -it is just too much work for me. I considered it once and the Spanish Tourist Board sent me a CD with them all listed - but it was just too much - this is a hobby site for me and I have only so much time for it.

However if you have an idea of how it can be done either on the forums or on the site let me know.

One other problem I have is that my Spanish is non-existent and I do get emails in Spanish from time to time - I check the links, if they attached one, and if it is an albergue I add it to my list with their web site.

4. angelina

angelina New Member

Hi Leslie,

If you need help with the Spanish language just knock on my door and I will help you.

5. sean

sean Active Member

Hi Leslie,
    I think it would be a good idea for the Forum to set up individual sub sections on the Refugio network on the various routes. Then, as Pilgrims return, we can inform each other of the current situation.
    Just an idea,
    Sean,
    Dublin

6. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Hi Sean,

This perhaps ties in with another thought. What about a sub-section for each Camino that is listed by town? Then within each town we can add information about the town and the facilities including albergues?

Let me know your thoughts. Which route are you just going on just now? I would get that one done first.

7. sean

sean Active Member

Hi Leslie,
    I plan to walk the Madrid Camino, starting on Wednesday morning. I will make detailed notes on the places I pass through and the quality/price of the accommodation available. I will pop it up upon my return.
    Many thanks to all who have provided information on my planned route. Will say a silent prayer for all on my Way.
    Slan,
    Sean,
    Dublin

8. FindingLaurie

FindingLaurie New Member

Hi Leslie, I'm new here and was just wondering how to change my photo/avatar and how to "like" a post? Thanks

9. CaminoPapi

CaminoPapi Guest

Leslie, Do you have any information about people on the Camino that use a CPAP (breathing device) due to snoring and sleep apnea?

10. Sheldene Geddes

Sheldene Geddes New Member

Hi Leslie
    Do you know of an inexpensive spot to overnight in Bayonne? I can't get all the way to St Jean on 16th August and need to stop over in Bayonne. Only arrive there at around 17.30 by train from Paris. And start my Camino on 18th August after one night in SJPP
    Many thanks
    Cheers
    Sheldene

11. stevelm1

stevelm1 The Happy Peregrino Donating Member

Home Page:
    I have not walked any of the Camino's yet, but this sure sounds like a opportunity for some enterprising folks. From what I have read there is a lot of snoring going on in the albergues. Surely some (if not all) of this could be reduced by CPAP's, rented CPAP's for the night in each albergue. As far as I know this "service" does not exist, but it sure would be a good idea.

12. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    @Sheldene Geddes i haven't stayed there, I usually use booking.com hostels.com or hotels.com. Air Bnb might also be an idea now.

13. Ned Gargiulo

Ned Gargiulo New Member

I leaving NYC (JFK Airport) on Sept. 1st. I'm planning to travel to Paris and then take a train to St. Jean. Is it better to go Paris instead of Madrid to get to St. Jean and would you know how to locate a train after flying into Charles DeG. Airport? Thank you, Ned G.

14. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Ned, if you have enough time, try to find airport from JFK to Europe airport from where are flights to Biarritz (sorry for my english). Biarritz is closest airport to St. Jean (to Bayonne) Maybe you can find flight to London Heathrow, then transfer to London Stansted airport and from there to Biarritz by Ryanair. It can be cheaper and faster than train from Paris. I don't know if this is good option, so try it.

15. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Totally agree with danvo and would like to add, If you based your trip on a return flight to London, then it will also be easier at the end of your Camino because Ryan Air and EasyJet have direct flights from Santiago de Compostela back to London

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

16. Sheldene Geddes

Hi Ned I agree since I'm taking a train from Paris to Bayonne as I don't think there is such a service directly to StJean. I will be taking a bus from Bayonne to St Jean. My issue is finding an inexpensive place to overnight in Bayonne since I only arrive there at 17.30.
    Buen Camino!
    Sheldene

17. danvo

Sheldene, you arrive at 17:30 to Bayonne, or Biarritz?

18. danvo

Ned, you can flight to Biarritz with EasyJet directly from Paris CDG..
    edit: .....but in not very good time. :-( Check Ryanair..

19. Sheldene Geddes

In Bayonne danvo

20. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

Ned
    I agree with Danvo & Rob, assuming you decide to fly into London LHR. There is another alternative on the return journey which I used last year. Fly Vueling from Santiago A Crouna Airport direct to LHR www.vueling.com. However you will need to catch a train from Santiago to A Crouna then take a bus to the airport, they run every 30 mins Monday to Friday and every hour on Saturday & Sunday. The tourist office in Santiago will give you all the information on the Train & Bus time tables.

I hope you find this info useful

Buen Camino

Raymond John

21. danvo

then you have train/bus to Saint Jean few mins after 6PM. Ticket you get at train station. Pilgrims office in SJPdP is open till 10PM, there you get info about free beds in SJPdP ..

22. Sheldene Geddes

Oh wow danvo! I wish I had known this before, as I booked to spend the night in SJPP on the 17th, and the first night in Orisson on 18th. But if I can get to SJPP on 16th, I can start my Camino on 17th. Maybe I should leave those bookings as they are, and still do as you suggest to get a train from Bayonne station at 6pm, and then have a better chance of accommodation in SJPP on 16th. I can spend two nights in SJPP as I will probably be exhausted ! My flight from South Africa to Dubai, 4 hours stopover, flight to Paris, arrive there 9.30am, 5 hour train trip from Paris to Bayonne, then train/bus to SJPP !!!!! Thanks so much for the information!
    Cheers
    Sheldene

23. danvo

Sheldene: :) ...maybe try to change your reservation in Orrisson?

24. Sheldene Geddes

I will think about that Danvo. I originally booked in SJPP for the 16th and then changed it to 17th when I thought I could not get to SJPP on the same day! So if I ask to change Orisson to 17th and my booking in SJPP back to 16th they are going to think I've lost the plot!!!

25. Anna OR

Anna OR New Member

Leslie
    I can't see where the calender is to enter the dates Im starting my Camino

26. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Yes, the calendar function no longer exists. After changing forum software it has not been possible to get one that works well.

However I suggest you start or join one of threads that state a particular month, there are already threads for people starting in August and September.

El Condor 2014 likes this.
  27. Ned Gargiulo

Ned Gargiulo New Member

Are there frequent trains leaving Bayonne during the afternoon? I'm flying from JFK to Paris via Heathrow and then a flight to Biarritz. Hopefully will take a bus to Bayonne train station and then a train to St. Jean.

28. danvo

@Ned Gargiulo - when you arrive to Biarritz? I think last (one of last) train/bus to SJPdP leaving Bayonne few mins after 6PM

29. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
  30. Anna OR

Anna OR New Member