Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Quick Dry Socks?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by KathyD, Apr 15, 2017.

1. KathyD

KathyD New Member

I know how important socks are! I will be hiking the Camino in mid-May. Pilgrims, what do you recommend for lightweight, fast drying socks? Thank you!

2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Kathy - Most good Merino wool socks will be quick drying. My preference is a low-cut, mid-weight sock. On my last Camino, I switched to Injinji toe-socks that I alternated with a more traditional running sock by Balega. I had great success. No blisters! I'd recommend carring three pairs of socks. Typically clothes will dry overnight, but you might encounter several days of rain. The other thing I do is change socks mid-walk everyday so as to air out my shoes and keep dryer socks on my feet. Many albergues have clothes lines for drying; some actually have coin operated dryers for pilgrims to use. Buen Camino!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  3. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I have tried many sock combinations over the years and had more or less settled on Bridgedale Inners and Thulo outers (Changing the inners every day, but, especially in wetter times, making the outers do for 2 days) – Then I was given some “1.000 Miler” socks for my 1.000 Mile Big Camino from my home in Cumbria. NW England, to Santiago de Compostela and walked the route without a single Blister !!

So – I wouldn’t be too concerned about the quick drying qualities, just take 3 pairs, one to wear, one finishing off drying tied securely to the back of your pack and one spare pair.

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

4. El Condor 2014

El Condor 2014 Active Member Donating Member

With so many sock brands out in the market place, it is really hard for a first timer to choose socks. Also what is available in one country it is not available in another. Synthetic, Wool/nylon, Bamboo, etc. etc., I normally go to a hiking shop ask for the BEST WICKING , fastest drying woolen socks.
    Ok if it has a blend and as long as wool is the dominant product. I agree with @Wily , Change the socks mid-walk everyday. For what ever reason I always get one SMALL blister on the same toe same place halfway through my Caminos.

UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  5. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Hi Kathy - I do what Rob does and take 3 changes of socks to be sure at least one change is clean and dry. What's worked for me is alternating days wearing Injinjis (toe socks) with wearing Thorlos with nylon knee-hi's rolled down (so I don't look like a total geek:0))) to reduce friction. I had pinchy toes sometimes without the Injinjis, and had a bunion issue, but otherwise, no blisters. Taping bony or prominent areas areas helps preventatively also. Buen Camino to you!

6. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Kathy - Like C4S, as soon as I get a sensitive spot on a toe, I tape it. I have to say, however, the Injinji socks really reduced the problem of toes rubbing against one another and sensitive spots developing into blisters. If a problem does arise, address it immediately. If it's a blister, drain it to keep it small and cover it with tape. The pharmacies along the Camino are great! If you develop a foot, knee, or leg problem, the pharmacists will be able to assist you. Although you'll see products like Compeed widely sold in pharmacies, I'd advise staying away from it. From my experience last year, it only made my blisters worse. Buen Camino!

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  7. El Condor 2014

El Condor 2014 Active Member Donating Member

I agree with Wily 100%.
    A Blister needs to be drained out, if you put a Compeed on, it will seal the blister completely and the fluid will expand the blister, Then when you take the compeed off it will reap your soft skin leaving an open wound ,
    Only use Compeed if you are prone to getting blisters in a particular place or to protect bunions, or if you can get to a hotspot really early , other ways stay away from Compeed

Buen Camino

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.