1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RE: Calendar Now Live - Let Everyone Know When You are Going on the Camino

Discussion in 'The Camino Portugues' started by gdfeldman, Nov 29, 2014.

1. gdfeldman

gdfeldman New Member

Planning to walk the last segment of the Portuguese way in mid-September 2015:

Okay, I've narrowed my ambitions. This being the first time for me and at 63 yrs of age -- I plan on arriving in Lisbon -- bus/train --- to Tui then walking the last section (in 10 days) of the Portuguese Way -- 115.4 km to Santiago. I am told this is a fairly easy route for beginners - of which I am. I walk 4 miles at a time (averaging 18-20 miles a week) on slightly hilly terrain in my western New York valley. Does anyone notice any gaps in my plan thus far? Please speak up if you do as I am concerned re: what kind of weather to expect.

BIG question:I live in a small burg outside of Corning, New York --- equidistance between Binghamton and Rochester, NY -- (well, a bit closer to Binghamton). Where might I find a decent outfitter in my area? Thanks in advance

2. highlander

highlander Donating Member Donating Member

Re: Calendar Now Live - Let Everyone Know When You are Going on the Camino

YOU CAN USE THE REI STORE LOCATOR TO DISCOVER WHICH STORE IS NEAREST . like some one from Buffalo in New York state your need to make a day of it to drive to one, because they are all a good distance from you.nearest is 195 miles in pittsburgh if you can find a reasonable decent store near you,you could have your back measured for a rucksack then order a decent rucksack on line from REi. same goes with foot wear. feet need to be measured before hand . with the rucksack it is very important to try a bag on with weight placed inside, it would be well worth going to REI and spending a few hours getting footwear and rucksack sorted..other than that you may find a small store near you...I would opt for REI. maybe someone else might have some info.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  3. New mexico bike

New mexico bike Member

Dear riend, I did the camino at 58. I rode my bike though and rode 400 miles in 18 days. I was cought off gard by the weather. Several days it just poured rain, then snowed in the mountains and then cold..At on point i threw out my riding coat and bought a down jacket in leon. Then another couple of days of riding in the rain and then the cold I gave up took a train 75 miles to the next town and clear weather. What I learned. Be prepared for anything, carry a good credit card, for the train ride or hotel, . I took no phone and not computer. :ast of all I believed St. James would assist me. He did!
    New Mexico Bike

4. xinloi

xinloi New Member

I'm older! ^7 and live just south of you in Williamsport. Not a lot of places to get good equipment in our area, but I think that there might be decent outdoor stores in Ithaca. We walked the Camino Santiago in May and June. my Novia had a LOT of trouble with a pack that did NOT fit. She just bought a new Osprey pack in State college.

We may walk the Portuguese Route on June 2015, but if no deals on flights, we will walk it in September. We flew Williamsport to Madrid roundtrip for $517 this year and hope to find another deal for Lisbon.

Don't know how hard the Camino postures is, but if you can walk across a Wal-Mart parking lot carrying two six packs of beer, you would have no trouble walking the Camino frances from SJPDP.

5. nkwendel

nkwendel Guest

I'm planning on doing a Portuguese Camino, i just can't decide on what month, august or September? help

6. kiorana123

kiorana123 Guest

I start the Camino from Lisbon on the 1st of May, any companion welcome! I am a Kiwi and of course we are nocturnal so look forward to finding my way in daylight! Ian.

7. John Hussey

John Hussey Super Moderator

Caminho Portugues ~22 or 23 April2015 from Lisbon. I arrive in Madrid 20 April 2015
    When its complete I intend to travel to Zamora and do the Camino Sanabres leg of the VdlP which I already completed some years ago .
    This time I'll walk on to Muxia. I have walked Santiago-Finisterre twice after Camino Frances and Camino del Norte.

8. traveldipper

traveldipper Member

I've walked the French Way in mid September and it is a beautiful time to walk and according to this forum and statistics, quieter too. The grape vines are ready for picking but not by pilgrims! ;) and the fields are bare & golden which is amazing for photography. If it's your first time just be aware of the evenings getting darker earlier. Prices of flights & availability of rooms might be better too! Does that help?

9. fraluchi

fraluchi 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015

Home Page:
    Leaving Porto on 8th June: sendero de la Costa. Plan to arrive in Santiago on 21st June. See you at the Pilgrims' House, Rua Nova, si Dios quiere.;)

Leslie likes this.
  10. lucymi

lucymi Member

Hi Fraluchi, I left Porto also around the same time last year, I loved every step of the Portuguese camino (with exception of some narrow, windy roads with speeding drivers). I also took a trip to Braga and visited the Bom Jesus shrine, that was a very enjoyable day. There were some really scorching days DSCN2207.JPG too so I had to take it easy. This picture was taken in Ponte de Lima around 4.pm

11. fraluchi

fraluchi 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015

Home Page:
    Thanks, Lucymi, for the encouraging picture.:D I'll have to 'phone ahead and get some real cool beer prepared:cool:

12. Jose Rocha

Jose Rocha New Member

Hello, I live in Portugal. In my opinion it´s better in September, because it´s not too hot.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  13. gdavisfe

gdavisfe Member

Hi, glad to know you are so close. I found Eastern Mountain Sports in Ithaca last week . ... and tried Osprey backpack . ....Will have to do the WallMart 6 pack X 2 stress test soon

14. lucymi

lucymi Member

Fraluchi, I wish you and your wife a wonderul Camino Portuguesa. I'm leaving Oviedo on 10th June so I will probably miss seeing you and your wife "for real" (have been lurking on Ivar's forum and following your posts, very helpful and knowledgeable, thank you.)

15. Dinah

Dinah Member

I will be doing Camino San Salvador starting Sept 1st and then the Primitivo. Can't wait.

UnkleHammy, Wily and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  16. William franks

William franks New Member

I arrive in Lisbon June 6 and start walking towards Santiago the following day. Does anyone have a recommendation for a hostile in Lisbon and the best way to get there from the airport? Also are there any additional albergues or other support (bars, pensions) along the way which are new for 2018 and therefore not included in last year’s guide books?

Crepes4Suzette likes this.