1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re-goretex Your Rain Jacket ?

Discussion in 'What equipment should you use and take' started by BROWNCOUNTYBOB, Dec 4, 2017.

1. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

For both caminos, my wife and I each brought along a Marmut Goretex rain jacket. The jacket is very comfortable, can be worn over fleece to keep you warm if it is cold, has zip pits to keep you well ventilated, and folds up to be carried in a small stuff sack. The jackets worked very well during our first camino. A few days we walked several hours in steady rain. During our last week walking in Galicia, it rained almost every day.

For our recent camino, we had incredible weather. It rained on days two through four, then we had sunny, blue skies the rest of our camino. Not even a raindrop walking through Galicia. We will bring the jackets with us during our third camino, which will be the fall of 2019.

A question I have is with continued use, does the Goretex rain protection wear out over time? My wife followed the directions and washed our jackets after each camino. I'm concerned that some of the Goretex may wear out and not keep us protected during our next camino. I'm not sure using Goretex spray is the best thing to do. I've asked my wife to check with our dry cleaner to find out if they can apply a fresh application of Goretex to keep them watertight. Anyone know or have experience with this?

Gracias. Bob

2. Galloglaigh

Galloglaigh Member

3. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Galloglaigh, thanks for the link. I've not heard of Nikwax before. The link looks more like a infomercial. I checked on Amazon to see the price and found out that there were many variations of Tech Wash - cleaner, softshell, wash-in, spray-on, base wash, wool wash, down proof, cotton, leather, etc. Also, the initial info says you only need to use the tech wash to restore the waterproofing (durable water repellency). However, the Q&A suggests you should first use the tech wash, then consider re-waterproofing with TX Direct Wash In. So more complicated than the initial comments.

Have you or any other pilgrims used the Nikwax tech proof and if so, can you comment whether you used tech wash alone or in combination with other products? Also, as an alternative, has anyone taken their Goretex jackets to the dry cleaner for them to clean and restore the goretex capability?

Gracias - Bob