1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re-goretex Your Rain Jacket ?

Discussion in 'What equipment should you use and take' started by BROWNCOUNTYBOB, Dec 4, 2017.

1. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

For both caminos, my wife and I each brought along a Marmut Goretex rain jacket. The jacket is very comfortable, can be worn over fleece to keep you warm if it is cold, has zip pits to keep you well ventilated, and folds up to be carried in a small stuff sack. The jackets worked very well during our first camino. A few days we walked several hours in steady rain. During our last week walking in Galicia, it rained almost every day.

For our recent camino, we had incredible weather. It rained on days two through four, then we had sunny, blue skies the rest of our camino. Not even a raindrop walking through Galicia. We will bring the jackets with us during our third camino, which will be the fall of 2019.

A question I have is with continued use, does the Goretex rain protection wear out over time? My wife followed the directions and washed our jackets after each camino. I'm concerned that some of the Goretex may wear out and not keep us protected during our next camino. I'm not sure using Goretex spray is the best thing to do. I've asked my wife to check with our dry cleaner to find out if they can apply a fresh application of Goretex to keep them watertight. Anyone know or have experience with this?

Gracias. Bob

2. Galloglaigh

Galloglaigh Active Member

BenL and BROWNCOUNTYBOB like this.
  3. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Galloglaigh, thanks for the link. I've not heard of Nikwax before. The link looks more like a infomercial. I checked on Amazon to see the price and found out that there were many variations of Tech Wash - cleaner, softshell, wash-in, spray-on, base wash, wool wash, down proof, cotton, leather, etc. Also, the initial info says you only need to use the tech wash to restore the waterproofing (durable water repellency). However, the Q&A suggests you should first use the tech wash, then consider re-waterproofing with TX Direct Wash In. So more complicated than the initial comments.

Have you or any other pilgrims used the Nikwax tech proof and if so, can you comment whether you used tech wash alone or in combination with other products? Also, as an alternative, has anyone taken their Goretex jackets to the dry cleaner for them to clean and restore the goretex capability?

Gracias - Bob

4. Bisnick

Bisnick New Member

Hi Bob, Goretex is a very thin membrane that is sandwiched between your fabric jacket so the Goretex will not wear out. Many people find it wears out when used in walking boots and the walking motion rubs the protective liner away which then exposes the goretex and it then gets rubbed through and you find your boots begin to leak.
    I would NEVER give my waterproofs to a drycleaner as i would be very worried the harsh chemicals would cause problems.
    I use Paramo clothing which is a brand developed by the inventor of Nikwax. I use Tech wash and TX Direct Wash In on all my waterproofs. Depending on the quantity i either hand wash in a sink or in the washing machine. If using the washing machine the most important thing is to ensure you take the soap dispenser out and give it a thourough clean, if you use fabric conditioner in the house this is the enemy of waterproofing as it destroys the DWR on the surface of your clothing. I also put the machine on an empty hot wash to clean any soap deposits on the drum.
    It sounds a bit of a faf but its not. Ensure you use the correct amount of Tech wash for the number of items washed and at the end there is no need to dry just put the correct amount of TX Direct Wash In and use a proofing programme on your washer. You will notice a slight chemical smell when you take out your jackets but this disappears when you dry them.
    Hand washing is exactly the same just ensure you rinse well before using the TX Direct and then hang out to dry. I often just use Techwash and this restores the DWR without using TX Direct. You can tell when your clothing need a good wash when you spray clean water on your jacket and it doesn't bead but just wets in. This stops the goretex working. Goretex will only work if it can breath.

Jo Waller and UnkleHammy like this.
  5. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Thanks, Bisnick. Lots of helpful info here. We'll spray water on and see if it beads up. If so, we're good to go for camino #3 in two years. Bob