1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations For Norté And Inglés

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Michael Riter, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Michael Riter

Michael Riter New Member

My wife and I have hiked the Camino Frances over the past two years and found we could successfully lighten our load by not carrying sleeping bags. This year we will be walking the Norté and the Inglés starting early May and finishing June 11. Looking over the guides while planning it appears that it might be a good idea to bring sleeping bags this time around. Would anyone like to offer their experiences/advice? Thanks.

Laurie Ferris likes this.
  2. Lirsy

Lirsy Member

Hi!!

Yeah, I would take a sleeping bag, one not too heavy, something just up to +5C. Mostly you won´t need it, but in some albergues it can be a little cold at night.

Buen Camino & Ultreia!!

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  3. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    There are two schools of thought in sleeping bags – But I agree with the above poster and always take an ultralight Sleeping Bag on Camino with me as I tend to stay in as many Municipal Refugio’s as I can, these sometimes only offer very basic facilities (Particularly on the less walked routes), so a Sleeping Bag can be very useful (Even on the more popular Camino’s, Municipal Refugio’s operate on a first come, first served basis, but when all the beds are taken, there is still sometimes floor space available, and having a Sleeping Bag can make the difference between a comfortable night, and a very uncomfortable one!!)

The only time I wouldn’t take one is if I wasn’t staying in Municipal Refugio’s and was prebooking all my accommodation and therefore knew that I had a bed every night and that bedding was provided :)

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  4. pamela

pamela New Member

5. pamela

pamela New Member

I am also interested in sleeping bags. ( Camino francés, mid-May onwards). I would like envelope style ( not mummy) and wonder whether anyone can send me a link for one that is particularly light. Having looked at a range of websites most of the light ones seem to be mummy style. I am after under 1 kilo, definitely.

many thanks
    Pamela

6. pamela

pamela New Member

I ma new to this site and wonder how I can be sure replies come to me.....!

7. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

I can't help with the sleeping bag, I used a mummy type. But you can get an answer here likr this one, jyst podt snd wait. Or if what know something that is likely to be private, then you can ask for a "Private messagd" or PM.

8. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Pamela, I went over the Napoleon during the 3rd week of May in 2016, and there was hail and sleet most of the way. I take a very cheap non-mummy bag (Ozark Trails 40F) that has served me well, if you don't mind shopping from Walmart (you probably aren't in the U.S. using the word "kilo", but you could use usgobuy.com, I suppose) and don't especially care about having "the best" gear. If you Google Ozark Trail Sleeping bag, the choices come up. There's a 50F one too that's probably even lighter. You'll definitely need one if you're staying at the albergue in Roncesvalles.

For replies, I usually hit the Reply button below the person's post so it sends the poster I'm responding to a little red alert at the top of the page. That way you know you've been responded to. But check the thread anyway because sometimes people just write a response below yours without hitting the "Reply" button. Hope that helps. Happy planning!!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    UnkleHammy likes this.
  9. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I have taken an older version of http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/sleeping-bags/travelpak-1 on most of my Camino’s – For the price it’s a good all-rounder that has a comfort factor of 7 degrees centigrade and a low temperature recommendation of 2 degrees centigrade (Which in practice means that you will have to wear your clothes to keep warm) and a weight of 850g and compacts down very well. So will suit most Camino’s in all but winter very well.

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

10. calowie

calowie Active Member

11. MichaelSG

MichaelSG Active Member

12. Lirsy

Lirsy Member

If I was starting by the middle of May I would take this:
    This one is 260 gr and just 8 Euro (you may find many sleeping bags that are quite a lot lighter, around half that weight. Sorry I didn´t find a link to a lighter one but I think this link gives you the idea). May be some nights you will need a T shirt or something to keep you warm, but 90% of the nights this will be more than enough.

Buen Camino & Ultreia!!

13. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    As you can see by the above 3 posts there are differing schools of thought about the necessity of carrying sleeping bags as different people have had differing experiences, probably because they have encountered different weather conditions / trekked at different times of the year and walked different routes !!

My own experiences cover walking different Camino’s from early spring to autumn, and, because I like to stay in Municipal Refugio’s, my own advice would be, regardless of when you are walking, to take a take a lightweight sleeping bag (at least) of a similar quality to the one I posted on the link above.

In spring and autumn, it will ensure you are warm as some Municipal Refugio’s don’t have blankets, especially the overflow facilities which is sometimes just floor space (Without even a mattress) and on the lesser walked Camino’s, sometimes the Refugio is the changing room of the local sports club or parish hall – So your sleeping bag then gives you something to lay on, even if you don’t crawl into it :)

Also, as the OP is starting their walk in early May and it can still be very cold then.

BUT – If someone is walking a Camino route who isn’t intending staying Municipal Refugio’s and has booked all their accommodation in advance in hotels or private Albergue’s were bed linen is provided, or has a large enough budget to be able to hop in a taxi if they are struggling to find accommodation where a bed and at least blankets are available, then there is no necessity to carry a sleeping bag.

Well those are my view in any case :)

Best Regards

Rob

14. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

I too used the snugpak sleeping bag (the square one) and found it was just about right for my needs on the Camino. It's not the lightest option but for the price it is very good value. I would agree with Rob, that if you are staying in private accommodation or hotels you probably won't need one.

Buen Camino

Greg

Crepes4Suzette and RJS like this.
  15. Laurie Ferris

Laurie Ferris The Camino Provides

Home Page:
    I'm not sure about the Norte, but I walked the Ingles in late May - early June 2017, and all I needed was a sleep sack. It was warm and mild weather. I never was cold at night, but if I needed extra warmth, I'd sleep with my thin layers (HeatTech from Uniqlo) which also serve as hiking layers.