1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations for Spanish tutorial program?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Topics' started by Dane, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Dane

Dane New Member

My wife and I live in the U.S. and plan to begin our Camino hike May 2013. Neither of us speak a second language, but would like to work regularly on developing Spanish conversational skills between now and our departure.

My question - what tutorial program would you recommend based on successful personal experience? Rosetta Stone is one option, but we wonder if there might be other better choices.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations you might provide.

2. toadoftoadhall

toadoftoadhall Member

[h=1]Total Spanish with the Michel Thomas Method (Michel Thomas Series) [Audiobook] [Audio CD][/h]
    sorry about the size of txt, just copued and pasted. A little bit late for you Dane, but may be of use to others.

3. ravenwash

ravenwash New Member

I have been learning Spanish for the last 5 years using many different methods. I have tried online but found it is best to learn either in a class or on a 1:1 basis with a native speaker so that you can get feedback and also learn to have more of a normal everyday conversation. Some online resources are good though and my sister is using Rosetta Stone which she thinks is really good. If you can access the BBC website in your country, they have excellent free basic language courses including Spanish. I have also found www.studyspanish.com to be very handy to practice grammar.

4. clearer_skies

clearer_skies Member

Home Page:
    Hi folks!
    I think too many people get worried about not being able to understand the language on the Camino. It is handy to have a few phrases to hand, ie ordering meals, and asking for directions, general everyday phrases, but I wouldn't spend a fortune on it. The BBC site has great facilities, including videos and quizes. Have a look here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish. Watch the La Vida Loca series.

5. Laliibeans

Laliibeans New Member

I've used www.memrise.com (free site) previously to brush up on the languages I already know, but recently decided to try Spanish from scratch using that site. So far, it's very good. The style works for me though, and what works for some might not for others, but as it's free you may as well take a look. I'm doing the course "Hacking Spanish" which is part of a series put together by a linguistics professor (if I'm recalling correctly).

6. vinsman

vinsman New Member

Hi Dane,

There are some great free on line Spanish sites. spanishdict.com and duolingo.com are two that have been great. I begin my camino on April 3rd and have been using them as a learning tool.

Buen camino

7. Orava

Orava Active Member

duolingo.com is one I have been using for a few weeks. They have a very good app for ipad also. Very easy to get the basics using their system.

8. ThirstyEric

ThirstyEric Member

I just got the duolingo app for iPad. It's fun! And it is also free!

I learned Spanish in middle school and high school more than 30 years ago and have forgotten most of it, but I think it will come back pretty quickly if I practice a bit.

9. Wessex Crusader

Wessex Crusader New Member

Another option is conversationexchange.com where you can swap language practice with a partner who wishes to learn your language. I found this extremely useful when I needed to update my Portuguese. As an English speaker, the odds of finding a partner are definitely in your favour.

10. Lirsy

Lirsy Member

If your target is just to be able to manage yourself while in the Camino .... then don't worry too much. You will find a lot of people speaking English (at least English enough to understand your basic needs) and you will only need some few words in Spanish: Buen Camino, albergue, hospitalero, donde esta el Camino de Santiago, una cerveza por favor, vino, donde hay un bar por favor,.... ;)

If your target is to learn a little Spanish language .... then my first advice is that, once in the Camino, try to join Spanish people. I know that the conversation will be a little more difficult ... but also will become funnier :) You will improve your Spanish, they will improve their English and all of you will have some funny time!!

I always hate when I see in the Camino the groups of people so classified by languages!! :(:(

Buen Camino & Ultreia!!

danvo likes this.
  11. samantha davies

samantha davies Member

There's a free app called Duolinguo, if you dedicate as little as 20 min a day it will help you learn the basics of Spanish for the Camino, both in written and spoken. I discovered it two years ago and it has helped me with my portuguese for when I did the Camino Portuguese - not an expert, but helpful to get by and communicate with the people, and for free.

UnkleHammy and MichaelSG like this.
  12. MichaelSG

MichaelSG Active Member

I don't think that is still waiting for an answer after 5 1/2 years but I agree that Duolingo is a very good app to learn a language. I learned enough Italian and Portuguese for my past walks there and I have almost finished the French course for my next walk. I'm far from fluent but can hold a simple conversation including getting directions, making reservations, ordering food, etc.

UnkleHammy and danvo like this.
  13. Lirsy

Lirsy Member

Je je :):) I didn't realize about the date!!

I assume that by now he is teaching Spanish!!:):)

It is curious how old messages pop up again!!

MichaelSG likes this.