1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations On Platform To Start A Camino Blog

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by BenL, Dec 21, 2017.

?

How have you recorded or plan to record your Camino experiences?

Poll closed Dec 31, 2017.
  1. Hand write in journal (and get finger cramps?)

36.4%
  2. Record on electronic device (tablet, phone, PC, voice recorder, etc and get secretary to type up)

9.1%
  3. Post onto social media real time, on trail (e.g. Facebook, Instagram, etc & pray for likes)

36.4%
  4. Post onto blog real time, on trail, (and edit/tidy up blog post-Camino & curse people hogging wi-fi)

9.1%
  5. Post after Camino (blog, social media, etc when there is no suppense about surviving)

9.1%
  6. Other method (post approach in comments in thread - because I couldn't think of others)

9.1%
  7. No plans to record, but let it be an experience that I keep within. It's my secret.

18.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BenL

BenL The Burghers of Calais

Home Page:
    I am considering writing a blog for upcoming Camino. I am aware of a couple of blog sites, such as wordpress and blogspot with initial free offerings that have limited storage/tools (both of these have fee-based subscriptions for greater storage and better editing tools, etc). There are also options like godaddy that offer custom domain names and will host web sites, and blogging is just one category of content. I am also debating internally whether I wish to fold the Camino within an uber blog about life in general or have the Camino blog as a standalone. Net, feedback or recommendations on these two questions is much appreciated.

2. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

I went with a combination of:
    1. Paper notes that I used for writing a detailed private blog when I returned.
    2. Facebook posts that included basic walking notes.

Martin (Ozzy) Osborne and BenL like this.
  3. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Ben, first of all - Camino is a very special time. If you will walk alone, write only your notes in diary, then, after returning you can write online. Try to minimize use of any electronic device (except camera :) ), ask friends and family to not contact you (except very urgent case) and minimize your messages for your family. This is only your time. As I wrote - very special time.

4. BenL

Home Page:
    Daniel, thanks for your note/sharing. I will be walking with my wife. We are really looking forward to the Camino. My wife will journal in traditional manner but I have worked with electronic devices my entire working life. I am used to keeping electronic journals and I find it helps me personally as I then reflect/contemplate the day/key events. I loved how this couple recorded and shared their Camino in the book, 'In Movement, There is Peace'. What I loved especially is the couple sharing their different perspectives on the same event/day, which I believe can be achieved by communicating on said event/day with my wife (as opposed to merely journaling separately and independently).

We were planning to set aside time at the end of each day to talk, share & journal.

Your response did surface a key question, namely, who am I journaling for? Since the primary audience is myself and wife, then, clearly, it's not critical that I post online into a blog from the trail. But, once I achieve that primary objective, I can then record online (not journal) for a secondary audience (different content). This helps prioritize in my mind the content and modalities that I want to focus on.

p/s. Re your camera reference, as an enthusiast photographer, I decided that I wanted better pics than what a smartphone can offer. So, bit the bullet to buy a better compact camera (will leave DSLR behind). Just under 2 lbs, including accessories (charger, extra battery).
    p/s. Invested in a portable foldable keyboard, that weights 7 oz, to use for journaling with smartphone. Small paper notebook will still be helpful to note key experiences on the trail.
    p/s. Will ditch the sleeping bag to offset the above two items! Will be walking from mid-May, so, if it gets too cold, will sleep in better lodgings.

danvo and Martin (Ozzy) Osborne like this.
  5. Bryan Morlock

Bryan Morlock Pilgrim Bryan

We had a group of four and had many people who wanted to follow us on our journey. So we set up a blog on Wordpress. Both my sister and I posted to the blog separately with daily entries as well as uploaded our pictures. Yes, it helped people to follow our journey, but now serves as a wonderful diary of our great adventure. There is no way that I could keep everything straight and know what happened when and where without the blog. I did all of my photo taking and blog posting on an old Apple 4S phone (3G). I did not carry an actual cell phone (others in the group did) but I would upload the photos from the 4S and post my blog using this whenever we had WIFI service. It worked remarkably well. I did tidy up some of the entries after I got home and my sister had the blog posts and some of the pictures made into a hardbound journal through Shutterfly. Our blog is at pilgrims4blog.wordpress.com if you would like to see. We uploaded more than 600 photos and still had plenty of storage available on the blog site by the end of our Camino.

6. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

I like the idea of having everyone in your group contribute to the same blog in real-time. I think that way should make a very well rounded blog. No two people see the same thing the same way

7. BenL

Home Page:
    Bryan/Kathy, thanks for sharing your two-some approach to blogging. Picked up good tips from yours and other blogs. Love the generous sprinkling of pictures. Buen Camino.

8. Bryan Morlock

I think my sister and I are perfect examples of seeing things differently UncleHammy. Just reading each of our individual entries and looking at our pictures for the same day illustrates how differently we focused on items for discussion or interpreted daily events.

AnnaKlura, UnkleHammy and BenL like this.
  9. MichaelSG

MichaelSG Active Member

If you do decide to blog as you walk, do not use Blogger (blogspot) if you use an iPhone or iPad, the app no longer works. Using it on Safari on a mobile device was never easy as it was. My first five Camino blogs were on blogger but my next will be on Wordpress. Wordpress takes a little time to figure out but seems MUCH more stable and usable now. Buen Camino!

AnnaKlura, Wily, James Orrock and 2 others like this.
  10. Bryan Morlock

An added note here. UncleHammy mentions that he used Facebook to post. I tried putting a post into Facebook from Spain and Facebook shut me down and locked up my account immediately, thinking someone was trying to hijack my account from Spain. It took me almost two weeks to get back into it. Once I did it went fine, but I had my birthday on the Camino and didn't get to see the birthday greetings and a birthday video from my grandkids until well after the fact when I finally got through the process to unlock my account. I don't know if there is a way to notify Facebook that you will be accessing from a foreign country.

11. BenL

Home Page:
    Michael, thanks for sharing your blogging experience from the trail. I had signed up for Wordpress a couple of weeks ago, to familiarize myself. Plugging away to become more proficient. I like how I can have a custom domain for the lowest paid subscription fee at Wordpress. Loved how you dedicated a CP page to honor fellow pilgrims that you met on the trail. Great idea.

Wily, MichaelSG and UnkleHammy like this.
  12. BenL

Home Page:
    Bryan, thanks for sharing this. My intent was to post updates on FB from the Camino. Will ping FB to see if they have a travel alert like the banks/credit card companies.

13. Mike G

Mike G New Member

I walked the Francis in September 2017 and used wordpress to record a blog. I had never used a blog before and didn't research the options to any great extent. Having practised a little before I went using a tablet I became sufficiently proficient to be able to take photos and up date the blog just using my mobile 'phone keeping the weight as low as possible. The blog was followed by many friends and my church congregation who were all apparently engrossed in the daily updates. The plusses for me 1. a period of reflection at the end of the day whilst composing the day's record 2. a great record that I have now tidied up and made into a short booklet, I would not have had the discipline to keep a written diary; in fact I was prompted on more than one occasion when my posting was delayed 3. inspired others to at least think about the camino - subsequent requests to speak at 2 events. I don't use Face Book or other social media, but I imagine that they would be much more obtrusive.
    I found the wordpress blog relatively easy to use even for a novice like me. I took the option that avoided adverts that I obviously would not have been able to control. I think it was about £30 for one year and I will shortly have to consider whether I renew or not, probably there is no point in renewing now that I have the booklet.
    Whatever you decide have a great camino.

UnkleHammy, Wily and BenL like this.
  14. BenL

Home Page:
    @Mike G, thanks for sharing. Loved how you framed the benefit of 'end of day reflection' as you composed the day's record. It's re-living the day's experiences, and un-covering the nuggets. Your post has encouraged me to consider blogging directly from the trail, and not just short updates on FB.

UnkleHammy likes this.