1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommends For Alberques In St. Jean Pied De Port

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by John Simchuk, Feb 23, 2018.

1. John Simchuk

John Simchuk New Member

We will be staying in St Jean Pied de Port on August 30 and 31, 2018. Does anyone have private alberque recommendations?

Martin (Ozzy) Osborne and Wily like this.
  2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey John, In SJPP, I stayed at the Gite Ulreia. Here’s their website.

https://www.ultreia64.fr/en/

It’s right on the main street of the historic section of SJPP and about a block away from the Pilgrim’s Office. The location is great, the albergue is clean and modern as you can see in their photos, and the is staff friendly and helpful. You’ll also see that you can reserve a bed or a private room. The morning you leave SJPP, make a left out the door, cross the small bridge, and you’re on The Way! Buen Camino!

3. John Simchuk

John Simchuk New Member

Thanks for the recommend Wily. You've been a great help.

Wily likes this.
  4. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

John, during our camino last fall, we stayed at Gite Izaxulo. It is located just outside the old city walls with many nearby shops and restaurants. There were four of us (my brother and his wife plus my wife and me). We booked two private rooms that each had a private bathroom. The hospitalero was multi-lingual and so very friendly. We had spent the night in Madrid and Pamplona and decided to have our laundry done in St Jean since the first day hike to Roncesvalles was a long one. During our 2015 camino, we had our laundry done there, but since we arrived around 3 pm, there was not enough time for our laundry to dry in Roncesvalles.

At Gite Izaxulo, the rooms were nice and quiet and we had a nice breakfast before heading out the next morning. One inconvenience for most Albergue's in St Jean is that most do not open until mid-afternoon. Gite Izaxulo did not open until 3 pm, which required us to carry our backpacks around the steep streets for 3+ hours before checking in. The gronze.com indicates that Gite Ultreia does not open until 4 pm, so the same issue.

Buen camino! Bob

hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  5. Jarrad

Jarrad New Member

I liked l'Auberge du Pelerin (+33 559 491 086) when I stayed there a few years ago. I had trouble accessing their web site just now (www.aubergedupelerin), but they seem to be taking reservations through booking.com. I saw a couple of negative reviews for them on TripAdvisor but most were positive. The negative comments did not remotely reflect my experience. Auberge du Pelerin served an excellent dinner (quail in an apricot sauce), provided an outstanding table wine, and served a typical French breakfast (pastries, coffee, juice). The place was very clean. Views from their balcony were excellent. Having traveled for a week prior, I appreciated the washers and driers. They went above and beyond the call of duty in providing assistance with internet access.

That said, I am intrigued by Gite Ultreia and inclined to check them out next time.

Crepes4Suzette, hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  6. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Jarrad - I think most folks would find the Gite Ultreia more than satisfactory. For me, it was a positive first experience in an albergue but, I have to say, almost without exception, that I was very pleased with the quality of private albergues available along The Way. With the help of the Internet now, it’s so easy to check out what’s available in the towns along the Camino. Even if you don’t make reservations, check out the albergues in advance since some are better than others. Although I’d happily stay at the Gite Ultreia the next time I’m in SJPP, a tasty quail in apricot sauce dinner may make me think in the direction of the Auberge du Pelerin. Thanks for the recommendation. Buen Camino!

hindsfeet and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  7. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Collect moments, not things Donating Member

Hi Jarrad, I have reservations at L'Auberge du Pelerin, and I am glad to hear that it is a nice place. I went thru booking.com. Nice and easy transaction. Quail? hmmm :D

Wily and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  8. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

..Just thinking... As this is accommodation for one night (same as all others on the way) maybe it is better to point to accommodation you can't recommend.....?

9. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Good suggestion, Danvo. Our first camino, we made a reservation at Gite Garitocotz (sp?). On a map, it looked just outside of St Jean. In reality, I'm guessing it was 1 to 2 km outside town. After climbing the steep streets of St Jean, more steep hills awaited us as we climbed hills to reach the Gite. Then we returned to town for dinner, and made the climb down and up again. The gite was nice and the hospitalero was very friendly. He didn't serve breakfast early, but left a tray for us just outside our door with coffee, juice, pastries, and fruit which we appreciated. The following morning we started our camino, first making the steep downhill descent into St Jean. If this Gite was located in town, we'd stay there again. For our recent camino, we stayed at Gite Izaxulo which was nice, but the opening hour was inconvenient.

Bob

UnkleHammy likes this.