1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renfe Trenhotel Sleeper Train?

Discussion in 'Traveling to and from the Camino' started by Snowwhite, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Snowwhite

Snowwhite Member

Hi

Does anyone have any experience with Renfe and their sleeper train?

It seems there is a sleeper train called trenhotel that goes from Vigo to Barcelona.

I thought it would be nice to spend a few nice days in Barcelona after my Camino. Going by sleeper train would be perfect as that wouldn't lose me any time in travelling (I am scared of flying)

So far I can only see some patchy dates for April - does anyone know if they upload those trenhotel tickets at a certain time (ie x days before the travel?)

Or has anyone in this forum tried it? I'd love to hear your thoughts ...

2. Hikoi

Hikoi New Member

Hi Snowwhite - my first pilgrimage to Santiago was many years ago on a sleeper train from Leon (I think!) It's a great way to travel. I haven't been on one for some years, but here's a great website with all sorts of information: http://www.seat61.com/Spain-trains.htm
    Hope this is helpful.

3. Snowwhite

Snowwhite Member

This is amazing - thank you so much. Hikoi, you have just made my day!:)

I have just checked and Loco2 does state that Renfe is quite erratic in their uploads of tickets but do state a 60 days as a rule of thumb. Great, at least now I don't have to panic:D. I'll revisit the website 2 months before - should work then.

4. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I have travelled with RENFE many times, but not had the opportunity to try the “Trenhotel” yet, but all my experiences with trains in Spain are very positive including a recent trip on the AVE.

The only downside that I can se is that you will miss some stunning scenery.

If your dates don’t work out for the Trenhotel, then another option is “Alas Supra” which are luxury (And I do mean Luxury”) busses that ply most of the long distance routes, some details of these on http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/233a5c/

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

5. Snowwhite

Snowwhite Member

Wow ... the Alas Supra coaches look amazing as well.

Thanks for the link, Rob :)

6. WorldTrekker

WorldTrekker Member

Took "sleeper train" from Compostela to Madrid and it was ok. In addition, I went Madrid to Lisbon once; again ok. Both times it was four to a berth and separated by gender. I looked at it as a "bucket list thing".
    Note, I can sleep anywhere anytime in any situation;).

Snowwhite likes this.