1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Repeated email alerts

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by Hobbler, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Hobbler

Hobbler Active Member

For some reason I have received the following email alert from you about 9 times over the past three days. Is this a problem with this website or what is the explanation.

This is the message I get:

Meleah has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - New Say Hello - in the General Chat forum of Camino de Santiago Forum - Walking & Pilgrim Forum.

This thread is located at:
    http://www.caminoforums.com/showthread.php?t=2492&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
    Hey everyone! My name is Meleah, I live in the US, Ohio specifically. I have just begun planning my first Camino. I am very excited and this site has already given me so much insight and helpful advice! I am thinking about taking my walk sometime in the summer of 2014, a semester before I graduate college. So far I'm thinking of starting in SJPDP, flying into Paris though. All right I'm going to go plan!

Buen Camino!

2. AdventureGals

AdventureGals Member

Hobbler, for over two weeks I have received a different message, different person, nine times a day from the same thread. I finally stopped all threads that I subscribed to from being sent via email . I now receive through this forum only PM's.
    I doubt we're the only one having this problem.

3. grayland

grayland Member

Seems widespread and affecting many of us.
    I am sure that Leslie will look after it now that it has been brought to his attention.

4. Hobbler

Hobbler Active Member

Well, I suppose that's one solution but it seems a pity to have to go so far. There must be some more satisfactory solution but it requires more tech-savviness than I have.

5. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Hi All,

I think I might know where the problem is, but it is late on a Saturday night here and I don't want to start messing with a database when tired. I will do tomorrow. However this is very odd, to help me confirm the issue could you forward all these emails to me lesliegilmour {@} gmail.com - thanks. I just want to see if it is the same email each time, and if so the time and date stamp or if it is because of additions to threads.

Anyone else having similar issues?

6. AdventureGals

AdventureGals Member

Leslie, I deleted the messages, I was leary of opening anymore of them. They were identical. Sometimes they would come every 3 minutes and then more in fifteen minutes, everyday for a couple weeks.
    I remember the posting was about a man or woman who was to retire from teaching or being a pricipal. I've searched in the history and can't find the posting.

7. juliecarteraz

juliecarteraz New Member

Hi Leslie: I have been getting duplicate e-mails as well. I got four last night or this morning. I deleted them. If I can retrieve them, I will forward them to you. Thanks for looking into this!

8. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Thanks all, I will be dealing with this morning. I will be deleting all the emails in the queue right now as there are quite a lot.

however I think the main problem is a setting in the software. I have this set so that when someone adds to a thread they are automatically subscribed, this I think is the issue, meaning that every time you reply to a post you get an email for each time you add. My fault and apologies.

it will be fixed by end of today, I am just experimenting to see if this is the issue.

9. Kiki

Kiki New Member

I have received the same message several times.
    Kiki

10. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    I think I have fixed the issue, but you might have got a few emails tonight, it should now stop from tomorrow.

let me know if it happens again or still happens.

thanks

11. juliecarteraz

juliecarteraz New Member

Thanks, Leslie!

12. Hobbler

Hobbler Active Member

Well done, Leslie. Your prompt response is typical of the high standard you have set for this forum.

13. AdventureGals

AdventureGals Member

Thanks Leslie!!

I have a question for the posters. Am I the only one receiving PMs from members who never post in the forums? I received another message today, from a member who has no info in their profile. This message read as if it was posted in the forums. this isn't the first, and it's a different member.
    Leslie, is there some way to stop PM's from members who haven't posted a minimum number of posts and perhaps started threads?
    I don't mind PM's, however this was random, it had to do with mobal phones, that's the way he spelled it. I opened it in my personal e-mail, has me worried. I shall now stop all communication from being sent to my email address.
    I belong to another social site, and their email log was hacked into. I think we need to be careful here. There seems to be too mush personal information included in posts with names with their birth years, it's foolish.

14. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Thanks for that.

Can I just say if anyone gets PM's from someone that has nothing to do with the Camino can you forward to me. I go through the people who join and post at first to see if all is okay. But there is only so much one can check. These types of PM's are from spammers and I just bar them when I catch. You can just forward the PM.

I will see if I can change the PM's as suggested and let you know.

Re the rest nothing is completely secure online. But I don't worry about it much now, it is easy to find a lot about people by searching - but I think it is advisable for everyone to have a line that you don't cross when posting information anywhere - that includes Facebook, etc. However I am a bit older than most online users, and I find that those in their teens and twenties bother much less than I do. I no longer have my home address anywhere, I didn't bother but my other half does.

15. Hobbler

Hobbler Active Member

I have noticed that some members give no information in their profile. I feel a certain level of info is desirable: possibly an indication of where they are from (obviously no addresses); gender is a tricky one but absence of an indication could also cause problems; something about level of physical activity (i.e. walking, hiking, fitness).

I know that many posters when they ask for help do give some information about themselves but others don't which makes giving advice difficult.

I also think that some, who are have never previously joined a forum, may not understand that posting is the norm and that private messages should only be used in restricted circumstances. Of course, having said that, I would find it hard to define when exactly a PM is appropriate.

16. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Okay, changed permission for new users, they will not be able to send PM's until they are out of moderation - as we moderate the first few posts of all users.

Again any issues let me know, as making these changes helps me learn more and makes the forum a better places, thanks.

17. Hobbler

Hobbler Active Member

Thanks, Leslie. You really are on the ball.

18. AdventureGals

AdventureGals Member

My last suggestion. I received two 'friend' requests. It's not something I am familiar with, and I accepted. I sent a pm and never heard from them again. Also, one didn't have a profile and the other was logged on when I accpeted, but didn't reply. She had very little on her profile and also no postings.
    Why friend request on this site? What purpose does it serve? Most of us are adults of a certain age.. and we may pm each other and more important, share in the forums.

Forgive me, thank you again!

19. BHinSanDiego

BHinSanDiego New Member

To add to what Hobbler mentioned about profiles, I agree, some basic information would be very helpful. I sometimes want to recommend a pack, clothing, boots, etc, and want to tell them they can get it at REI in the U.S or Mountain Coop in Canada, but if I don't know where they live it seems pointless to do that if they live in the U.K, Australia or somewhere on the European continent.