Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Reservations

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Maureen3, Sep 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Maureen3

Maureen3 New Member

¡Hola! I'm starting my Camino in Sarria in mid-October and am trying to decide if reservations are necessary. I'm not opposed to making reservations, but I'm just not certain how far I'll get each. Does anyone have experience traveling this section during time of year? Thanks.

UnkleHammy, Crepes4Suzette and Wily like this.
  2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Mauren - By all accounts, the Camino has been very busy this month. That also means that a significant number of pilgrims will be finishing up their Caminos in October thus walking those final kilometers from Sarria to Santiago. Plus, there will always be that group of pilgrims beginning their walk in Sarria so as to qualify for the Compostela.

By mid-October, I don't think reservations will be as crucial an issue as it might have been earlier in the walking season. However, I would suggest that you reserve in Sarria and Santiago just to be on the safe side. One of the positives about that section of the Camino is that there are more albergues than on some other parts of the CF so as to accomodate the number of pilgrims that this section of the route sees. Although you don't know how far you plan to walk each day, if you do finish early in the afternoon, you shouldn't have any difficulty with lodging. If it does appear particularly busy with folks vying for beds, ask an hospitalero to phone ahead for you to reserve a bed or use a website like Gronze.com to book ahead at places using Booking.com. Keep in mind too that many pilgrims will be heading to the daily destinations suggested by Brierley. If you stop short or go on past his recommendations, you will probably find a greater availability of beds.

Finally, let me iffer you two recommendations of albergues where I stayed. In Sarria, check out Albergue O Durmiñento and The Last Stamp in Santiago.

Buen Camino!

3. Maureen3

Maureen3 New Member

Hey Wily! It's amazing how quickly and thoroughly you respond to everyone's questions on this forum. I appreciate all the good tips!

Buen Camino!

Martin (Ozzy) Osborne and Wily like this.
  4. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Maureen, make sure to take good rain gear setting out at that time of year, OK? They don't turn heat on anywhere that I found in Spain until some unknown time after mid-October, and if you get wet or chilled to the bone, your options for getting warmed up can be a hot shower and crawling into your cozy sleeping bag......or whatever dry clothes you have left. And maybe some Caldo Gallego in Galicia. Other things that helped were a plastic inner bag, and making sure to put your rain cover onto your backpack the second you start feeling drops. If you can get lodging with a dryer, that helps also because if your clothes get damp and the weather continues to be damp, it can take more than a day for them to dry. No fun to wear or lug damp clothes!

5. Maureen3

Maureen3 New Member

Hey Crepes4Suzette! Talk about serendipitous! I just stumbled upon your 2016 review of Albergue Casa Cruceiro de Ferreiros on Tripadvisor, when I received the alert that you had responded to my forum question. Thanks for the reality check regarding the importance of rain gear and finding lodging with a dryer. I know that it rains over half the days in October, but I think I had the mindset that I'll get the "good" half. I'll hope for clear skies, but prepare for the rain! Thanks for the tips.

6. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

That's so funny.....I'd forgotten that I use the same name for both! You're doing your preparation well! If you stay at Casa Cruceiro de Ferreiros, I think you'll enjoy it. I ran across a group of New Agers there who were doing the Camino and then heading off to Avesbury for a celebration of some sort. The lodging building is woodsy and contemporary and has good views.

hindsfeet, RJS and Maureen3 like this.
  7. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

A week ow 10 days ago in mid Sept the CF was overwhelmed with pilgrms and entire towns were completo by early afternoon. Some kind person. Arranged a large van to transport the group to the next town. The last few days it seems that the pilgrim traffic has reduced and more pilgrims are showing up without reservations and gettin beds. Today we walked to San Martin del Camino and a group of 8 showed up and beds were avalable. Bob

8. Maureen3

Maureen3 New Member

So it turns out that reservations are necessary on the Sarria - Santiago route this week. I got the last bed at the alburgue in Arzua last night. Today is a holiday so more Spaniards are on the Camino this week, and the weather has been unbelievable, sunny and 80, so people are taking advantage of it and walking. The quiet moments of early morning and late afternoon have been spectacular. The scenery and people are amazing. And more than once El Camino has provided. Off to Santiago tomorrow if my blistered feet will carry me one more day. Buen Camino!

Greg Canning, hindsfeet, RJS and 3 others like this.
  9. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Maurine

I am pleased to hear that you managed to get the last bed at the Albergue in Arzua and wonder what you would have done if this hadn’t been the case – Maybe you would have caught a taxi and found somewhere that did have a bed ??– Anyway, thankfully you didn’t have to worry as you snagged the last bed :)

I did wonder about Wily’s post when I read the thread as he had told us all on here that he booked all of his own accommodation for The Camino Frances in Advance, also he walked the route in the Spring, so I don’t know what he was basing his “Advice” On

But, although I left Saint Jean Pied de port in October on my Camino Frances (A good few years ago), I split my own Camino Frances into two, and returned to do the second section in August, so, as I hadn’t walked this section of the route in October I didn’t say make a post of my own – Also you seemed so happy with Wily’s post, I didn’t want to question his advice again (We were already having a difference of opinion on anther thread at the same time)

Anyway, today you will be in Santiago de Compostela later today and be sampling the delights of what this beautiful city has to offer. Your blisters will soon heal and I am sure that you will Love Santiago de Compostela ;-)

Best Regards

Rob

10. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Maureen - It sounds like your Camino is going well except for maybe the blisters. I, too, have walked with sore feet, but one trudges on, don't they? Not far to Santiago now! You'll make it!

I have to agree with you about the quiet early morning hours on the Camino. They were my favorite plus I thoroughly enjoyed hearing the European Cuckoos across the Spanish countryside at that time of day. It was the best time of day to experience the peacefulness of the Camino. But, as you have found out, the people, both locals and your fellow pilgrims, make the Camino what it is. Otherwise, it's just another long walk.

Enjoy Santiago! Hopefully, you'll be lucky enough to see the Botafumeiro at the Pilgrim's Mass. Spectacular and emotional at the same time! If you've planned some time in Santiago there is quite a lot to do plus so many great eateries. Buen Camino!

hindsfeet likes this.
  11. Maureen3

Maureen3 New Member

Hey All! I arrived in Santiago! It has been quite a journey. I sure appreciate the comments/advice from fellow peregrines. And although this 117.3! km trek iwas not a cakewalk, I certainly have great respect for those of you that have completed the entire route. It was fairly high mileage each day if you follow the sections. My advice to others would be to throw In an extra day or two. Next time (can't believe I'm saying that given the condition of my feet) I would take the road less traveled. Perhaps the the Primitivo or Portuguese Way. Anyway, just wanted to give you a progress report. Will enjoy Santiago and then head to Muxia and Finisterra (on the bus). Buen Camino!

12. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Congratulations on completion!

Crepes4Suzette and RJS like this.
  13. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Well Done in achieving your Primero Compostela – And I look forwards to hearing about which Camino you chose for secunda – The Primitivo was one of my Favourites, but to be honest, I never did walk a Bad One :)

Enjoy your bus ride out to Muxia and Finisterra as well as your time in Santiago

Best Regards

Rob

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  14. Kernel Philip

Kernel Philip New Member

Dear Camino Friends,
    I am a new Pilgrim and Forum member and much impressed with all the kindness and helpful discussions! I am flying into Barritz late afternoon of Wednesday October 25 from U.S. and hope to get to St. Jean the same day. Does anyone have a recommendation for where to stay there at this time of year and whether I should make a reservation? I know that many Albergues are starting to close.
    Many thanks,
    Philip