1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reservations

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Maureen3, Sep 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. James Orrock

James Orrock Active Member

Very touched by all your kindness to me, folks.

To Galloglaigh - I hope to visit Lindisfarne and St Bede's Jarrow one day and feel the friendliness of the Geordies and taste a little of the notorious Newcastle brown ale. My father's mother was born in Cork so I have an Irish connection as well.

To Rob - walking in memory of Winifred sounds like a great idea.

To Raymond John - my mother's name is Winifred Orrock, if Fr Javier could say a Mass for her and the family's intentions that would be tremendously fantastic, my friend.

To Wily - we will embrace the time she shared with and cared for us.

Hasta luego, mi amigos.

RJS, Wily and UnkleHammy like this.
  2. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

James

I am so sorry for your loss. My own mam died suddenly in 2013 at the age of 84 and I know that no matter what the age the loss of your mother is not easy.

I have carried my mam's rosary and some of her ashes with me on each of my Caminos and I have felt her presence with me at the top of the Pyrenees and all along the Way. As Raymond John put it so beautifully your mother is only a pray away and I hope you get to bring her with you on your Camino.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Gob bless

Greg

James Orrock and UnkleHammy like this.
  3. James Orrock

James Orrock Active Member

Many thanks for your kind thoughts and prayers, Greg.

We had three recorded songs during Mum's funeral - The Green, Green Grass of Home by Tom Jones, the Amazing Grace version by Nana Mouskouri and We'll Meet Again sung by Vera Lynn. My son, Dana Gabriel sang the Eddie Vedder song The Long Road from the Dead Man Walking movie soundtrack. My sister spoke the eulogy and I read the 23rd Psalm, Mum's favourite. I was crying like a baby.

Greg Canning and UnkleHammy like this.
  4. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

James

That sounds like a wonderful service. I grew up listening to Tom Jones and Nana Mouskouri, my dad's favourite singers. In the days of reel to reel tapes (you younger guys will have to look up the history books :) ) my dad would make the whole house sit quietly while he recorded Nana Mouskouri from the TV on his Grundig. You can imagine the scene with the whole family sitting around the TV in the dark, dad getting the mic as close to the TV as possible and everyone told to be be quiet as he tried to sync the start button with the start of the song. It was hilarious when our budgie decided to sing along!

I am sure you have great memories of your mum and they will sustain you all in the future.

Buen Camino

Greg

UnkleHammy likes this.
  5. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

For our second camino, we made reservations at 34 of 38 overnights between St Jean and Santiago. For the first part of our camino, we were stunned how many pilgrims were walking. Many times we learned that entire towns were "completo" requiring weary pilgrims to keep walking and hope to find a bed. So we were glad we made so many reservations. We made a reservation for one of the four and for the other three, we had to get up early, take very few breaks to ensure we'd have a bed at a municipal. We arrived at the Burgos municipal 45 minutes before the doors opened and there was a line of at least 50 backpacks ahead of us.

Now that October 2017 statistics are available from the Pilgrim's office, I checked to find out how many pilgrims received their Compostelas in October, 2017 vs October, 2015 - which was when we completed our first camino. Oct 2017 31,341 pilgrims successfully completed their camino. This compares to 25,576 in Oct 2015. So in two years there were 5765 or 22% more pilgrims in October 2017 than our first camino two years ago. This means that in October, approx. 1,000 pilgrims each day arrived in Santiago - and on average, this was 185 pilgrims per day more than two years ago.

People we asked speculated that the main reasons for the higher pilgrim traffic was the outstanding weather during September and October; the last day of rain we had was day 3 of our camino. After that we had sunshine and blue skies every day until we arrived in Santiago. Not a single day of rain as we walked through Galicia! The second reason for the increase in the number of pilgrims was due to the growing popularity of the camino.

For our third camino, we plan to switch the start to April and walk during the spring. Bob

UnkleHammy likes this.