1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Returning After 10 Years

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lipka149, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Lipka149

Lipka149 Active Member Donating Member

Hello all -

It appears that the stars have aligned and after 10 years, another Camino is immanent. My son Aaron and I are planning our second Walk for next summer and we will be doing so with another veteran and an enthusiastic rookie, both male, hale, and hearty.

So which route do we take ??? We have a month or so to walk, longer if the spirit moves us. Our time frame is June-July of 2020 ...

We think the Camino Portugues from Lisbon would be a good Walk, but the cobblestones and traffic kinda put us off. Is it that much of an issue ? Is Porto a good stop for some "tourist time" ? Before commenting, please see below for wildcards ... :)

The Camino Frances again ... in mid-summer ... might be too crowded for our taste. We have really good memories ... are they going to be ruined by a route too crowded ? Thoughts ?

My own preference is the CdlP ... but would this be too much for a rookie ? Would it be too much in the middle of summer ? What's worth seeing/doing along this Way ? "Nothing" is an acceptable answer ...

Maybe it would be better to walk two shorter Caminos ? CP from Porto and then beginning again from a different starting point to do another route ? Which one ? Two experiences from two different routes is quite tempting ... and we have the time to do it.

The wildcards are:

* One or more wives may be joining us on the Trail.
    * One or more wives may be waiting for us in Santiago ... shopping.
    * One or more of our wives may be in Santiago. and after shopping, walk with us to Finisterre.

Assume all walkers are tough (meaning old), experienced (meaning old), and in good shape. Well, good enough shape to know when to stop and rest and when to keep going. We may be old, but we ain't stupid.

So, fellow peregrinos y peregrinas, what route do we take ? Should we rethink our timeline ? What are the conditions like along the various Ways ? If you were coming with us, what would you say ?

Looking forward to your informational comments, critical insights, and commercial recommendations.

Many thanks !

~ Alan

Wily, Maya Grandmother and UnkleHammy like this.
  2. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Alan,
    cobblestones are really problem in CP (I walked CP with my wife from Porto). So you need really very good shoes, and it's not enough... Btw - Camino frances is nicer than CP. So I prefer CF. VdlP or Camino Norte can be better option. This july I walked CF with my wife, I must say that we never found full albergue (!!!) - I mean whole route between Saint-Jean Pied de Port to Santiago. (Only one albergue was full - that cheapest, biggest in Santiago, where were big groups of pilgrims. Sometimes we really walked alone. Big surprise for me.

Wily, UnkleHammy and BROWNCOUNTYBOB like this.
  3. Lipka149

Thank you, my friend.

I will be getting together with everyone this upcoming weekend to discuss options.

It will be interesting to listen to their input. The CF is always a default option. Perhaps we can split up and some of us do the CF and some the do the CN.

Is there a way to perhaps drift off of the CF to walk some of the CN ? What points would you recommend if we were to try and do that ?

~ A

UnkleHammy likes this.
  4. calowie

calowie Active Member

Hi Alan

Here is a combination trip: walk the CF to Leon, the San Salvador (5 days) to Oviedo and the primitivo to Santiago. Or walk the Norte to Oviedo, take the bus to Leon, and continue on the CF. So many options!

5. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Alan,
    I never planned exact place to change CF to CN. It was always only my idea that in case of full albergues on CF I will find bus/train in first possible town to CN. But until now it was not necessary. Luckily :)

6. Lipka149

Oooo ... this looks good. SJpdP to Leon captures so much of what is good about the CF. A bit of adventure at the end is most appealing !

Thanks, calowie !

~ A

7. Lipka149

Ha !

Well Daniel, I suspect that the exact points of departure will depend on where the Spirit leads us. I'm sure my fellow peregrinos will have a say in this. No doubt it will not turn out to be anything we plan. And no doubt it will turn out to be wonderful.

~ A

UnkleHammy and danvo like this.
  8. Lipka149

Ok ... the decision has been made to walk the Camino Portugues !

Timeframe is to start after the first weekend in July.

I'll move this discussion over the the CP Forum so we can share more appropriately.

~ A

9. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Alan, Lots of good questions about good routes. I think the CP would be an excellent choice particularly from Porto (that was our starting point a couple years ago). As Danvo pointed out, the cobbles can be problematic. Although I didn’t experience problems with them, my wife did have considerable knee pain after the first couple days. Part of our solution, so that she could complete her first Camino, was to use a transport service to ship her pack from albergue to albergue. We also found the pharmacies very helpful in terms of creams and knee supports. Even with certain difficulties, We’d walk it again.

You asked about the VDLP. I just cycled it this past April. Like any Camino, it, too, has its positives and negatives. It’s not too much for a rookie as long as you give yourself enough time to comfortably complete it. There is a great mix of beautiful countryside and the terrain is moderate most of the time although there are some long stretches between towns. Just as on the CF, there are days with some good uphills to challenge both the legs and the heart. In addition to many wonderful small towns, there are some great Spanish cities one passes through: Seville, Merida, Salamanca, and Caceres. All of them deserve a visit. For anyone interested in the Roman occupation of this region, there are many impressive structures like the one I’ve included a photo of. I biked in April because of the heat warning for late spring and into summer. Personally, I think biking or walking in mid-summer would be ill advised due to the high temperatures in southern Spain. The albergue system along the entire route was quite good, but not as developed as one finds on the CF. But, like elsewhere, the wonderful pilgrim spirit is found in nearly every peregrino one meets along The Way. Even on a bicycle, it was a Camino well worth doing. But, I have to admit that I look forward to lacing up the hiking shoes as we head back to SJPP next month.

I think you’ll be pleased with whatever decision you make. Just as one last thought, you could combine the CP with the CI. Walk from Porto to Santiago and then bus up to Ferrol and walk back to Santiago along the Inglés. If you didn’t do it 10 years ago, add on walking out to Finisterre and Muxia. All fine walks.

Buen Camino.

26BA61F0-28AF-475F-BC99-D765C3AE2F19.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019