1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Returning Home: The Journey Continues (video Presentation And Workbook)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Laurie Ferris, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Laurie Ferris

Laurie Ferris Laurie Ferris

Home Page:
    Everyone talks about preparing for the Camino, but what is said about returning home? Re-entry can be a challenge, but nobody prepares for it. What happens if you have a strong case of the PCBs (Post-Camino Blues)? Our Board liaison, Emilio Escudero, suggested the topic of “Returning Home” for our recent Welcome Home potluck in Oakland, CA. Emilio writes, “The highs of the Camino are often followed by lows that many experience as alienation, disorientation, loss, even anger and depression. The presentation on this topic also included ways to help pilgrims move forward, continue their Camino and extend insights and lessons learned into wherever they are in the moment and into the future.”

Emilio delivered the thought-provoking presentation with distinct sections: Preparing for our Camino, Experiencing, Returning, Path Forward, and Continuing the Spirit of the Camino. Everyone was captivated and the topic struck chords for many. I filmed his presentation and added some section titles, so you can watch it yourself below.

Emilio provided the materials as well, to help you “unpack your Camino.”
    Just like in our 2017 welcome home event, we ended our welcome home gathering with a recitation of the poem, Caminante by Antonio Machado, in both Spanish and English.

Caminante
    by Antonio Machado

Caminante, son tus huellas
    el camino, y nada más;
    caminante, no hay camino,
    se hace camino al andar.
    Al andar se hace camino,
    y al volver la vista atrás
    se ve la senda que nunca
    se ha de pisar.
    Caminante, no hay camino,
    sino estelas en la mar.

English translation:

Pilgrim, your footsteps are
    the camino, and nothing more;
    Pilgrim, there is no camino,
    the camino is made by walking.
    By walking you make the camino,
    and in glancing back
    you see the path
    you will never walk again.
    Pilgrim, there is no camino,
    only waves on the sea.

[​IMG]
    Northern California Camino Class of 2018. Photo by Merula Furtado.

2. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, Laurie!

Laurie Ferris likes this.
  3. Ginamarie

Ginamarie Active Member

Thank you for sharing Laurie. I love the poem!

Laurie Ferris likes this.
  4. Bryan Morlock

Bryan Morlock Pilgrim Bryan

I did not have the opportunity or the option of having the blues after returning home in October 2017. After 7 weeks away from home, our daughter got married three weeks after I returned. Yes, I am retired but we have season hockey tickets at the University of North Dakota (a couple hours drive each way) and travel to many away games in other states. I am involved with the AARP Foundation program of doing free income taxes for senior citizens and low income people and I am the tech guy for almost 20 computers and 14 printers for that program. So I really did not have any time available to contemplate my return and readjustment back into regular life. Life hit me square in the face from day 1 of my return. In late April 2018 I was finally able to sit back and think about the Camino. I have remained in contact with a few people I met on the Camino and have given numerous presentations and discussions. A couple (Peggy and Glen) from Canada started at St. Jean the same day we did and made a video for each day of their experience. We are in several of them (including at the cathedral in Santiago) so I am able to relive the Camino just by watching their videos. I read through the entire blog my sister and I maintained to keep family and friends updated and look at all of the pictures every few weeks. I do think of it every day now and would like to go back and do it all again.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  5. Laurie Ferris

Laurie Ferris Laurie Ferris

Home Page:
    Bryan, it sounds like you have been keeping busy! I too was really busy when I returned from the Primitivo in June, so I haven't even had a chance to reflect on it. But I hope to relive it through my photos and write about it over the next few months. I think the distance helps both take a break and appreciate the Camino even more.

6. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

Laurie- I must say, in many ways I feel like my Camino never ended, just had some 'breaks' in between walks. My experiences still lend flavour to my everyday life, and impacts so many areas.
    My wife says I am like a new convert...I will talk about Spain and Portugal at a drop of a hat.

Ginamarie likes this.